Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pepper Cannon Grinder - Kickstarter for super pepper grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be heresy but I just buy pre-ground pepper from the store.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Aaron Franklin does same... he is of the opinion that he's not using it on brisket for the flavor so much as the surface for smoke adherence. So, 16 mesh pepper, because it's about the same size as kosher salt crystals (I think morton). I have a jug for that purpose...

Yep, cute video. But it also shows that one person's negative doesn't always carry over. He made several references early on to the similarity of pre-ground pepper resembling horse sweat chemically as if it were a very negative thing. Obviously he doesn't have anyone in his life like my bride. Little girls never outgrow their love of ponies.

Comment

• jasoncross11
      jasoncross11 commented
      Editing a comment
      haha that is hilarious!

Very cool! And if it is good for Kenji, it is good by me! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I recall Alton Brown using an electric drill with an ordinary pepper grinder. Looked slick.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I did that with my coffee grinder...

Well, it's way expensive, but we are pepper fiends and I am particularly flush right at the moment, so I bit. By the time it comes in 6 months or longer, I'll conveniently misremember the price when Barbara asks. 😯

Comment

The grinder I bought at Ikea many years ago is still goin' strong. It was less than $10 and the shaft is not centered so it produces different sized flakes, but I like it...

Comment

I know I posted about this in a different thread yesterday, but mine arrived (first run) last evening. It's pretty fricking awesome, just sayin'. At least now, when I need a tablespoon (or more!) of coarsely ground pepper I don't have to spend a half hour grinding and sifting, grinding and sifting, grinding and sifting in my bladed spice grinder to get it.

Comment

I got mine a couple days ago and it is awesome. Heavy duty and a huge range of settings. Well worth the cost in my opinion.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	EC75461B-EA49-46A4-89C6-65BE83A2B248.png Views:	0 Size:	183.0 KB ID:	1031436
              I’ve been preaching battery operated grinders since I’ve joined AR. I love them and will never go back to manual grinders. I got over 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper in about 20 seconds or so. The Pink Himalayan Salt grinds much faster. willxfmr and Mr. Bones Y’all had asked a while back which set I had, this is it. It is the Hafster brand and is available on Amazon for $38.00. My other set, the salt grinder gave out a few weeks ago, after about 5 years of daily use. This is what I bought as a replacement and I really like them.
              Last edited by Panhead John; May 14, 2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve tried a few and they’ve all died or jammed when I needed them to work.
                Went back to the manual and the coffee grinder.

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I can get a tablespoon of a fairly coarser grained in 9 or 10 turns of my pepper cannon. Just saying.

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                All of the battery operated grinders have adjustments for the coarseness of your grind, from fine to coarse.

My 20v Dewalt cordless drill and an old Cole & Mason pepper mill puts out quite a bit more than 1/2 tsp. in 20 sec and has 2 variable speeds. Even has reverse but that isn't how I fill it back up. I am looking for an electric one with a fast and consistent sized grind.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
                JimLinebarger commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John I hear ya. I have to keep it in my office. Yellow doesn't go with our red/black/stainless steel kitchen vibe.

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Drill works well but if it jams, the power can wreck the grinder.

Go with a Milwaukee drill to match your colors.

• JimLinebarger
                JimLinebarger commented
                Editing a comment
                Polarbear777 Yes, the power and speed can burn up the grinder. This one is my old Cole & Mason which had a part holding the grinder together at the bottom crack and break off. So it is already toast but still works somewhat. Don't have to grind a lot at one time so it isn't used much. Only do 2-3 briskets a year.

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
              That REALLY looks good! Love the video too.
              I got mine in last week, and it is excellent. I love how even the grind is! It really does pump out pepper.

Comment

Question to all who have received, an are usin this here grinder...

Is it adjustable, as to grind size?

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's extraordinarily adjustable as to grind size all the way from a very fine powder up to basically cracked pepper size. And very consistent grinds as well.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, this was always one my biggest questions bout that there mochine, barrister... Dewesq55

Just for comparison to PJ's videos above:

​​​​​​​https://youtu.be/34UmMLaSW_0

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty awesome! I’m sure it’s probably the fastest one out there. I just like the convenience of one thumb operation. Since I’m usually cooking for one, the battery operated grinder works fine for me. Plus I’m a lazy bastard. 🥸

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Panhead John - I get it. I just wanted to show a comparison. I wasn't saying yours doesn't work fine.

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh I knew that.. That’s actually a really good comparison for people to see!

I got my third run pepper cannon about a month ago, and decided to drop a full review here.

1- it grinds a high volume of pepper with very few turns. A quarter turn produces more than my OXO table grinder does with a full turn or so.

2- it has a WIDE variety of grinds… from atomic dust at the very tightest recommended to cracked corns at the fullest. The downside there is that it’s a lot of clicks on the wheel to get a significant shift in the grind. It is remarkably easy to turn the dial though. My OXO has a switch that gets tight sometimes but my previous grinder had a screw that was more difficult.

3- refills are ridiculously easy. The push button release for the top is simply brilliant. No screwing, no secret latch, just push the button and the top comes off. Also, fairly easy to see when it’s getting full, despite it being opaque.

4- the cup that seals on the bottom. Not a game changer, but pretty cool.

I have not gotten rid of the oxo grinder for the table, but the Cannon is getting the bulk of the use. And the wife thinks it’s table worthy in appearance, even if she finds it a bit ridiculous because of the Kickstarter video.

might be my favorite thing i kickstarted. It is really great.

if I had some input for version 2, I’d make the bottom cup transparent if possible so you could measure with it closed. And I might widen the clicks on the grind adjustment crank, but maybe not.

Comment

After commenting above that I simply buy ground pepper at the store I got to thinking: the reason for that is pepper mills are inefficient and time consuming to use. A motorized blade grinder would require sifting if uniform size is wanted. I thought about buying a battery powered set but never did.

Sooo....after thinking about it and watching the vids on Kickstarter I went ahead and bought one. It arrived over a month ago.

I will echo everything that Potkettleblack said above. I really like this pepper mill. I use it in regular cooking but I've also used it to pepper a whole pork butt and some ribs, something I would never use one of my old pepper mills for.

My idea for version 2 - make it battery operated.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here