Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-maze-N Tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-maze-N Tube

Really hoping someone can offer some suggestions. I was gifted the largest tube which unfortunately doesn't sit vertically on my gas grill. So after using a torch, I let it flame for about 10 minutes to get a good smoke going. Once I throw it on the grill, at a tilt due to height issues, it barely cranks out smoke. Takes a few hours to get going. Any suggestions outside of getting a smaller version to run vertically?

Why can't you lay it down? That's what always used to do with no problem. Let it rest between the rungs on your grate. If you get the hexagonal ones you can place them in any direction without worrying about it rolling around.

Comment

First - thanks for responding. I was worried about the embers not being in contact with the fresh pellets so wanted as much contact as possible is the reason for the angled vs flat. So if you are rocking yours horizontally...do you pre-burn and then throw horizontally on the grate? And is it indirect vs over a burner?

Comment

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        You do pre-burn it and lay it flat. As long as you get a good burn going to start, you shouldn't have any problem when laying flat. A few burnt up ones may fall out, but that is no big deal. I use to use them to supplement my pellet cookers. I would imagine indirect on a gasser would be the way to go.

I can not speak for Rod and its been awhile since I fiddled with the amaze-maze-tube but I had no issues in the horizontal position in my AOG or my Holland Classic.
      Concerning pre burning. Yes.
      - On the Holland do to type of grill everything is indirect.
      - On AOG mostly indirect on some occaisions I run the tube along the side of the firebox due to burner configuration (w style burners). I do not think I have ever used the amaze-n-tube in conjunction with the rear mounted IR rotis burner.

Comment

I’ve been using something similar to the A-Maze-n-tube with no issues. I use a propane torch to ignite it. I’ve had better luck leaving an inch of space between the top of the pellets and tube. It seems to protect the flame a bit. My Weber Spirit has left to right burners, so when I’m doing long cooks, I just run the back burner. I lay the tube down so the smoldering end is on the burner with heat and the rest is off. Gives off good smoke for four hours.

I did a pork butt yesterday that came out excellent. I’ve been using these pellets.
        Welcome to BBQr's Delight! We are home to the flavorwood pellets such as peach wood, and fuels for pellet-fired cookers. Great for use in BBQ Contests and competitions. Shop here for 100% All Natural Wood Pellets!

Comment

I use mine for eggs and cheese and always lay it flat.

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            Always flat here also.

Wait! I thought this post was about Meathead getting a TV show!

Comment

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            So you thought the question was should we cook him on a vertical spit or a rotisserie? I guess I don't know the answer to that one. What do you thing he's gonna weigh dressed out?

I always lay flat as well. Something to consider: I have found that the tube simply doesn't work as well if it is in a grill (or area of a grill) that doesn't have decent air movement. For example, it works great in the back of my gasser, or anywhere in my kettle. It almost doesn't work at all inside my Traeger.

Comment

I just finished using a smoking tube for some chicken thighs in the camp chef pellet grill. Had no issues at all, I find that it is important to after lighting allow it to burn in a vertical position and let the flame go out on it's own, don't blow it out. Lay it inside the grill horizontally and you should be fine.

Comment

lay smoker tube, lay, lay across my big brass grill.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol!

may be the fuel that is the problem.

Comment

Dang... maybe it is the fuel? The pellets have been stored in zip locks for a few years. Just can't get a reliable output of smoke when I run horizontally. So frustrating. This last cook I ran it for 20 minutes and ran the lit end over the ignited burner. An hour in...barely any smoke. Ended up throwing the whole thing on the low burner and eventually got some smoke.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Traeger suggests not using zip lock bags for pellet storage. I use pit boss comp pellets on 40lbs zip lock bags. No problem so far, but I go through them in a month or two. Moisture can be a big problem with pellets. Got to keep them dry.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here