Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butcher Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butcher Paper

I'm seeing more and more about using butcher paper to wrap instead of foil. Any thoughts or experiences on this?

I end up using foil anyway when I go to hold so it was no use for me overall. Foil also allows me to transfer to the oven without making an ungodly mess and smoke alarm party.

Comment

It’s more breathable than foil and can retain better bark

Comment

I have long read of th differences, an apparent advantages of one vs th other...fully unnerstand th science, porosity, etc.

That bein said...I've never wrapped, an have no immediate plans / see no imminent need to do so, at this particular juncture in time.

Reckon I'll burn that bridge, if, an / or when I come to it...

Comment

I've used butcher paper and foil several times. The butcher paper is so messy that I gave up on it. I don't wrap brisket or pork ribs at all any more and they are just fine without it. I do sometimes wrap beef ribs in foil after the stall, around 180, so I don't risk drying them out. You can go straight from the smoker to the faux Cambro in foil and from there to the cutting board. With butcher paper you've got a mess to deal with just getting it off the smoker.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw Might be interesting tomyou.

Comment

• BBQPaddy
              BBQPaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting comparisons.

Paper for a good bark, foil for more juicy. Been the common rule of many and works for me. I recently met a commercial Pit Master (won't name with out his permission) that wraps his brisket with saran wrap then foil! I asked WHAT?!? he said it gets them done faster but no bark....no kidding!

Comment

Here is a little trick I just started using: double heavy duty foil on the bottom, and paper on top. Used this method on pork butt, and St. Luis ribs. It is kind of in between, a Hybrid wrap. Foil saves the juices and paper breathes. Enjoyed both cooks. So there you go, thought I would through in a third option, and it works.

Comment

• BBQPaddy
                BBQPaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                I think that would be a good one to try. Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here