Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Palermo instant-read thermometer vs Thermoworks ThermoPop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palermo instant-read thermometer vs Thermoworks ThermoPop

I acquired the Palermo instant-read thermometer from a great deal posted by FLBuckeye for $3.99 on Amazon. Normally this retails at about $20.

I do not own a Thermapen, and at $4 this was very much a worthy trial of something in a similar vein.

Here is the Palermo instant-read reading room temp right out of the box, next to my ThermoPop reading the room temp right beside it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG7656.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	89707

I tried to get a pic of both of them in the boiling water test, but it was too hard to hold them and snap a pic. You understand.

You'll have to trust me on this, but in boiling water the ThermoPop read 209, the Palermo read 210.6. At my elevation (928') water should boil at 210.3.

I would say +1 for the Palermo! Suffice it to say being so spot-on I would not hesitate to use it in meat.

Also- I have read a few folks saying the Palermo was hard to open the probe. I did not find this to be the case. With the edge of my finger or my fingernail the probe folds out easily. Perhaps this a unit-by-unit thing with the tight probe issue. I cannot think of a single complaint on this unit so far.

Here is a pic of the two probe sizes next to each other. Not sure how these relate to the Thermapen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG7658.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	89708

I would even go so far as to say, at least at this point, $20 is still worth it for the Palermo. YMMV.

Great teats! Thx man.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      My pleasure Jon!

Thanks for the test. How long did it take it to register its temp?

Comment

Originally posted by CapeMay View Post
      Thanks for the test. How long did it take it to register its temp?
      I didn't actually test it for timing but more for temp. I do remember the Palermo took longer after removing from the boiling water to get back to room temp than the ThermoPop. I just didn't count it our time it. But really, how often do you need to go from 210 to 67, much less quickly... Lol. Next time I do a test I'll do a timing test.

Comment

CapeMay It took me less than 5 seconds to get a 212.3 reading on the thermometer when I did that. I was counting one one thousand, two one thousand etc.

Comment

• CapeMay
          CapeMay commented
          Editing a comment
          FLBuckeye - Thanks. And a thank you for the Amazon tip for this thermometer. I have one arriving Tuesday.

I just bought one the discounted purple "knockoffs" by ThermoWorks and it saved me from making a mistake last night.

I agree with Huskee - for $4 or even for $20 I think this is a winner. I already have a Thermapen which is pretty much the single best tool in my kitchen and the main reason I've become a much better cook, but for 1/5 the price this thermometer is certainly acceptable. Not as fast but the nice thin probe and accuracy are more than "good enough". Disappointed that it is made in China, but hard to expect otherwise given the price.

Comment

I had a Taylor instant read thermometer for a couple of years. It cost about $20. It seemed very accurate but it was fairly slow. I finally sprung for a Thermapen only because of its speed. I'm glad I did! I also have a DigiQ Dx2 and a Maverick ET 735 but... Everything gets final checked by the Thermapen. I trust it more than any thermometer that I have.

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here