Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tiny chimney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiny chimney?

So I'm curious. For those of you who use a briquette chain, how do you start it? Say that's what I want to do, or maybe I just need 4-6 coals to start with. Seems like a regular chimney isn't going to work well, so do they make a really small one? Or at that point is it easier to go another way, like a paraffin cube?

They do make a smaller one, maybe four or five inch diameter. I don't have one yet. I try to place a small pile of briquettes on one side of the regular chimney then prop the lighter cube up on a mostly crushed aluminum can to get it right under my small pile. This has been working but it's a bit finicky to get is set up well.

Comment

I have the small chimney and use it all the time.https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessor...d=1341#start=1

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, I saw this, but even this seems big? Guessing it holds a couple dozen briquettes?

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. 24 packs it full.

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Better, at least. You don't have to fill it, but my concern is not much chimney action if you have 6 briquettes laying on the bottom. I really like this option for a Dutch oven though. Two dozen is about perfect.

I pile the briquettes around and on top of a starter cube. I’ve considered making a small chimney by taking an empty bean can, punching some vent holes at the bottom and cutting the bottom out. I am not sure how that would work, but it is worth a try. Most of my low and slow stuff is done on my BGE, so I don’t do it often on my Jumbo Joe.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 23, 2020, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Never used a charcoal snake, but this post looked like it had good tips.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ting-technique

Henrik says you can flip your chimney starter upside down and use the other side.....
        Last edited by BFlynn; June 23, 2020, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes you can flip your chimney over and place a few coals on top of what was the bottom a second earlier. You might have to raise the starter cube below it or use a little additional newspaper but it works for me. But when making a small snake, I usually just light one or two starter cubes under the charcoal on one end of the snake. I do this in my Jumbo Joe with SnS basket. I have never tried a snake in my PBC.......now I wonder how that would work in keeping temps down..........anyone know?

I have the small chimney and flip it upside down at times to start a few coals. I haven't tried it yet, but I think a small can, (like a tomato paste can), should get your starter cube high enough.

Comment

I just pile the briquettes on top of the starter cube and light it.

Comment

Just use a wax cube or tumbleweed starter. I've also used a few charcoal briquettes in my chimney starter....I guess you can turn it upside down but I never have, I just use the chimney as intended and it works out pretty good for me.
            You could use a propane torch too I guess and just light the first couple briquettes.

Comment

When I used to use a charcoal snake, I would stack 5-6 briquettes on a starter cube, or over the propane burner in my Performer and get them going that way, then use tongs to move them to the start of the snake.

Comment

I made a small one by cutting the top and bottom out of a bean can. Used an old fashioned beer can opener to punch holes in the side just above the bottom of the can and then put in 3 self tapping sheet screws about and inch and a half from the bottom to hold a small piece of SS expanded metal I had left over from another project. Holds 4 to 6 Kingsford briquettes. Place the can over a couple of cotton balls soaked in alcohol and lite them up. Originally used it with 2 briquettes and a couple of wood chunks for cold smoking cheese in my Weber performer. Just placed it in the ash catcher in the bottom and let it run with the top vent almost closed. Works great for that too. Oh and I just use an old fashioned set of tongs, the kind that work like scissors, to move the can around and empty the lit coals onto my "snake." I really am cheap!

Comment

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I was originally posting this question I was visualizing much the same contraption.

Made this last year out of a tomato can, just used a churchkey and a 1/4" drill bit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4326.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	868266

Holds 15 briquettes, so it's perfect for lighting the SnS for low & slow or lighting the PBJr.

Comment

I just turn my chimney starter upside-down, and pile some briquettes on top of a Weber starter cube. Then use tongs to position them on the snake.

Comment

Originally posted by BFlynn View Post
                    Never used a charcoal snake, but this post looked like it had good tips.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ting-technique

Henrik says you can flip your chimney starter upside down and use the other side.....
                    This is what I do, I just flip mine over. You have to find something to set your fire on though to reach the briquettes. I use a tall soup can and a sterno can.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here