Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bear Claw Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear Claw Recommendations?

I am thinking of getting a set of bear claws for pulling pork instead of the old 'fork' process. Has anyone found a set of claws that you really like and would recommend? Thanks!

Here is what I have, on the recommendation of this site on the free side: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IWI66W...mazingribs--20

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have this style and think they work well too.

• jbjamison
      jbjamison commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Steve.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

Here's what I recommend:

Click image for larger version  Name:	bearclaw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	863908

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      You beat me to it.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      jbjamison - of course!

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly... reading the title made me think of this Sunshine Donuts place across the street from me in San Diego. We'd always grab a couple of their bear claws before we went fishing. Nothing like setting up a drift in the bay and kicking back and enjoying a bear claw waiting for the bite... If you're ever in OBX there's a placed called Orange Blossom Cafe in Buxton that sells Apple Uglies the size of a dinner plate and they are AMAZING. I would drive an hour out of my way for one.

I prefer to use nylon gloves with a cotton glove insulator. Much more efficient and easier to me.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I use rubber work gloves. Same idea.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the same plus use a meat serving fork.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. Got a pair of bear claws for a Christmas gift, but never used them.

Got a touch of arthritis in my hands and these Meat Rakes work really well for me:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P5B81Q...osi&th=1&psc=1

Comment

• jbjamison
      jbjamison commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks CaptainMike! I'll take a look.

• Sam6687
      Sam6687 commented
      Editing a comment
      i have had these for years, they work great.

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses and recommendations everyone! I'll check them out. I do appreciate it...looking through Amazon reviews is enough to drive you up the wall...

Comment

I had the claws but prefer cotton garden gloves with a pair of nitril gloves over them.

Comment

This technique has https://youtu.be/PU0H4KryzRQ been discussed here before and I thought some folks might want to see it in action. Below is a video from tonight. It shows me pulling an ~8 lb smoked butt using my KitchenAid stand mixer with the dough hook. I broke The butt into several chunks by hand so it would fit in the

Comment

I let it cool down to 145 and just use my washed hands. Lets me pull all the hunks of fat out better.

Comment

I like these. They are the OXO brand. I first got the ones you grip like brass knuckles. I think they were the "original" bear claws. The problem with them is they got too slippery as it pertains to the grip and the ends were just too sharp. The ends (being plastic) immediately rolled over. They were also not very ergonomically designed in my opinion. These OXO are way beefier with much better handles/grip and keep your hands farther from the meat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200616_205811.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	864066Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200616_205811.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	864067

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I likes th design of these, kinda bearclaws meet meat rakes (I have both)
              These do look more effective than th rakes, more ergonomic than th claws...

I have this set, which is the ones that Meathead recommends. I use them to pull pork, pick up big chunks of meat, and generally terrify my daughters. Works well for all three :-)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, same as I've had fer years...
              They work jus fine.

Those Bear Claws that Meathead recommends work just fine. They're pretty sharp at the points. I've poked myself more than once putting them away or reaching for them. I keep them in a plastic bag while in storage too avoid that experience.

Kathryn

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea storing them in a plastic bag. The thought of catching one of those tines under the fingernail while reaching into the drawer for them is the stuff of nightmares. 😬

I try to stay out of arms reach of bears, as a general rule.

Comment

I do some pulled pork for work, and I reheat with sous vide. I just pull it in the bag out of the bath. chef hands on 135-140* pork.

Comment

• sandrkimberling
                sandrkimberling commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't know why, but it seriously never occurred to me to use the sous vide to reheat pulled pork. Thank you!

I switched from claws to a cotton and nitrile glove combo a while back. I find it easier to pull out chunks of fat as I come to them, plus it's great to seamlessly "sample" the finished product while pulling.

In addition to pulling, the glove combo is easier than using tongs when there is a lot of flipping to be done (cooking a batch of wings), using the cold-grate technique while flipping food and spinning the grate, and trying to hold some cuts of meat to sear the sides that won't
              stand up on their own (getting an all-around reverse sear on a tri-tip).

I got both the nitrile and cotton gloves from Big Poppa Smokers:
              Knit Cotton Gloves are great BBQ/grill gloves that allow you to handle hot food and grills without your hands slipping from sweat.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/life...series-3000-xl

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here