Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Real Cambro, how did I live without one (or two)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Real Cambro, how did I live without one (or two)?

I had two significant cooks this weekend. I donated a Ribs for 50 Gift Certificate to the local homeless soup kitchen, and some friends bought it for their daughter's college graduation. So that was 14 St. Louis racks and 10 whole chickens for Saturday at 1 o clock.

And today we had a traveling singing men's group at church, so pulled pork and ribs for 35-40 men tonight at 5.

A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about what a pain it is to transport food and keep it hot. You have to wrap every rack of ribs, and that takes a while. I started looking at Cambro's while I was waiting for a plane in the airport, and bought 2 of them. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2032.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	83478

Here is Big Red, sitting all neat and tidy behind the serving table. Oh, I don't think you are getting the picture yet of how big she is. So I'll show you:

Name:	IMG_2034.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	83475

Boom! Three full hotel pans with room to stack up the meet in between. Just slide in and out and seal the door behind you!

They keep the temp like nobody's business!!!

Oh, and the Singing Men of Texas Loved the Ribs!! Ate every last one!

Name:	IMG_2037.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	83474
    Attached Files

Nice... Real nice. How many monies for Big Red?

Comment

I LOVE my cambro. I can stack 5 briskets in that dude. Wife loves the pans for casseroles and what not.

Comment

$196 for Big Red, http://www.webstaurantstore.com/camb...4300MPCRD.html

and $142 for the single pan top open, 12 inch height http://www.webstaurantstore.com/camb...UPCS180BK.html

Comment

I wish you lived near me Paul.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude, we could build that brick (or pipe) stickburner with a pellet cooker backup together!

That's a 12x20? Must be like a clown car because the pics on that site look way smaller than your pics. 196 is not bad at all...

Oh and the food looks amazing.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            The hotel pans make things way faster to put meat in and take out. I didn't have to wrap anything, so I unloaded the ribs from the smoker, put in the pans and into the Cambro. Before, i would peal off foil, wrap each rack of ribs and place into the beer cooler. That took quite a bit longer.

Last week, I was also rushed, and put 4 butts into the black top opening one, and the meat was 210 degrees and I should not have sealed it up. I did and the meat kept the heat so well it kept cooking and got more mushy. I had huge leftovers and shared, and ate some last night when one of the families had a grad party - it still tasted great, even after freezing and thawing! #BBQRocks

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Well add it to my list I guess! I have been taking butts with me and pulling on location, looks like you are saying it is fine to pull it first.

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            Well, you still have the same drying-out issue if you pull earlier. I'm still leaning on doing pulled pork. But transportation is now MUCH simpler!

Paul did you get the pans there also? If so did you get the 2 1/2 or 4" deep and was the measurement of the pan 12 3/4 x 20 3/4

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            I bought 4 of these pans from Sams several months ago, along with the big cutting boards there. And I got a roll of kind-of-tacky shelf paper on a roll, and I put that under the cutting board to keep is from sliding.

I have the 2.5 inch deep pans. But the 4 inch ones are a great idea - that will increase the volume carrying capacity in Big Red!

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, @Jerod!

I just put this in my cart, will get soon!
            Built from sturdy 24 gauge 18/8 stainless steel, this standard weight full size steam table pan features double reinforced corners that add strength where the pan takes the most abuse. Ideal for use in hot and cold tables at your catering event or buffet, this impact-resistant pan makes cleaning and refilling a breeze. Easy to use and available at a great value, this anti-jam stainless steel pan is a dependable addition to any kitchen! This hotel pan has built-in, anti-jam stacking lugs to enable hassle-proof separation and easy lifting of the pan. Plus, it can go from freezer to oven to serving line without bending, which ensures that it will sit flat in steam table wells and hold its shape under the toughest conditions. Overall Dimensions: Length: 20 3/4" Width: 12 3/4" Depth: 4" Brimful Capacity: 14 quarts

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok that's what I was wanting to know. I will be placing my order tonight. Thanks for the info PaulstheRibList

Anybody have any comparisons between the heat retention of a real cambro and a faux cambro, i.e. beer cooler?

Comment

• FLBuckeye
            FLBuckeye commented
            Editing a comment
            My bro has a cambro and he says food loses a degree an hour. I have used a maxcold igloo 150 quart cooler as a faux cambro and have had no issues keeping food out of the danger (40 -140) zone. Wen I last pulled a brisket out of the cooler after resting for 3 hours, it was 171 degrees.
            I want a cambro because of the ability to stack pans. It is a bit tricky to stack more than a few pans in a cooler.
            A cambro is definitely on my wish list

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here