Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bucket List Cooking Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucket List Cooking Gear

Obviously, I’ve already got some of that .... Hasty-Bake Gourmet, for example. But I’m putting together the bucket list of stuff. I have good knives, for example, but what are the greatest knives I could want. I have good pots and pans, but what’s greatest? And so on :-)

And go!

Tempted by the PK Grill tabletop model (GoGrill), but it never seems to go on sale and it's so pricey. Want a smaller (than my large BGE) charcoal grill to do steaks and fish for 1 or 2.. Tried using an old Weber Go-Anywhere, the rectangle model, but its limited airflow hasn't let me get to really high temperatures. Any suggestions?

Comment

SnS Kamado, Hasty Bake, brick pizza oven, Argentinian grill with adjustable grate like a Santa Maria grill. All in an outdoor kitchen with my existing PK grill and KBQ. I've got lots of good quality knives and food prep equipment so I'm good there.

Comment

Knives are very personal but things like Shigefusa are considered top Japanese knives. Of course, there are custom knives from top smiths, but the value there is partly in having a knife made precisely to your spec

Comment

Originally posted by BBQPhil View Post
          Tempted by the PK Grill tabletop model (GoGrill), but it never seems to go on sale and it's so pricey. Want a smaller (than my large BGE) charcoal grill to do steaks and fish for 1 or 2.. Tried using an old Weber Go-Anywhere, the rectangle model, but its limited airflow hasn't let me get to really high temperatures. Any suggestions?
          I have an XL BGE and wanted something smaller & more portable. I got the PK original with the folding stand. It does a great job on steak. And the rectangular shape makes it great for indirect cooks. IMHO it’s well worth the price. PK does run sales occasionally. The Steak Cook off Association offers members a decent discount. You may also check if you have a local dealer and negotiate a deal.

Comment

Thanks. Tempting.

Comment

Komodo Kamado 23” to replace the BGE, and Weber SCGC with table to replace the Weber Kettle. (The KK 32” is too big for just the two of us.)

I say it a lot, I really don’t need anything more than the BGE and the kettle. If I won the Giveaway I’d take the meat.

ETA: I actually have too many good knives. I have too many thermometers. I have too many of a lot of things. All you need to do this s[tuff] is food and fire. The fancy cookers, they’re there to make everything look impressive.
              Last edited by Mosca; April 11, 2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• painter
                painter commented
                Editing a comment
                I hear you Mosca. I have a Primo and a kettle I feel like together they cover the range from low and slow to high and fast. If I won the monthly draw I might look at a gasser just for convenience sake. As for the excess knives--send them my way!

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a chef’s knife, a santoku, and a vegetable cleaver, all of which do essentially the same thing. All are Globals. I have two paring knives and a boning knife, all Henkels. I have a Victorinox brisket sword, a nice bread knife of unknown provenance, and a cheap heavy cleaver.

Those are the front line knives. All the others are stored in a drawer. Lots of Victorinoxes, Cuisinarts, Chicagos, etc.

Generally I pick a knife from the three Globals at random. Keeps them all sharp longer.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Mosca I’ve got a Victorinox brisket slicer too .... I love that thing.

Komodo Kamado

Comment

But if you could have any chef knife, what would it be? Or any great stock pot? What things do you drool over?

Comment

Karabecue.

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1

I tried to post my list but was kicked out for having too many characters.
                You get my glut.

Comment

1. Lone Star Grillz 20x42.
                  2.Gas range for the inside kitchen (we just got gas service installed. It wasn't available in our part of town until this year.)

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @pak smoke - When I remodeled our kitchen several years ago, I gave serious consideration to converting to propane. I really wanted to. I had lived the prior 30 years in NYC and had always, as an adult, had gas ranges, until I moved out here. I decided, then, that it wasn't in the budget and have regretted that decision ever since. So when the chance came last fall to get hooked up to natural gas, we jumped at it. I still don't have the range yet, however.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I need to replace the electric stove (which is a very nice LG model) with a gas stove for sure. I really drool over this every time I walk in a Williams-Sonoma

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ecowper -That sure it's beautiful, but I only have room for a standard 30" range. ☹️

What a great question. I like nice Cookers and support items like pans, knives, charcoal, etc. I do want to have things that I will really use though-----so I'm to the point that I don't buy everything that comes around but do cooking experiments with the gadgets I already have. Maybe a New Cooker of some sort sometime?

Comment

I would love the chance to spend some quality time with a Hasty-Bake, as well as a large trailer stick burner, the likes of which Ahumadora builds. I don't see either option happening in my future though. Less desired, but still desired, a good Santa Maria and the large Arteflame.

And I really wish home distilling was legal. I would love the chance to craft some good bourbon or rye.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                      Ahumadora commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Huskee send me yours or Troutmans credit card and I can make it happen...

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ahumadora I can't find mine I'll have to borrow his

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Come by Texas, I'll put you up on one of my trailers, lol.

For the outdoor cooking area - a Lone Star Grillz stick burner, pizza oven, built in chiminea style fire place and bar area. And these aren’t in the plans ever, well, maybe a fire place at some point but not the style I would like due to cost. What I do see in my future for outdoor grilling - a buddy and I making a Santa Maria style gadget for our Weber kettles. We have the plans and the cost would be $100 after supplies.

Indoors - I’m not sure what I would want....Maybe a really nice knife. I have eyed dream style ranges, one that would take half of my kitchen! Hahaha. Something about walking into a kitchen and seeing a gigantic range with an industrial hood over the top of it.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I forgot about pizza oven, I want one of those too. And the large range, I agree with that too.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here