Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilltastic grate cleaner review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilltastic grate cleaner review

Mrs Mosca insisted I pick something to get for Christmas (remember Christmas? We were so innocent then), so I told her this would be nice. I grilled some chicken yesterday, and instead of doing a burn-off, I let the BGE cool down and I cleaned the grate today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F6C0ABF7-3A98-428C-BCFE-55AEAE937293.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	828190

Click image for larger version  Name:	F974C5A6-760D-4965-A92B-88A9B32B03F2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	828183

First, this thing is BIG. like, as long as your arm. It isn’t heavy, but it appears to be well made, from high quality plastic and strong metal. The cord is heavy duty and is three prong. Use is simple and intuitive, and doesn’t really need instructions: fill the reservoir with water, aim, and push the red button.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C5DF896E-0CA5-41FD-9764-3A5011C027D0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	828184

When working, the head vibrates and the machine shoots voluminous amounts of steam. It’s pretty impressive!

I worked each side of the grate for about a minute, trying a few different directions and alignments before quickly settling on the brush head aligned in the grate grooves. I used a little bit of pressure, but I didn’t bear down. I believe the result speaks for itself:

Click image for larger version  Name:	792BE6D1-3050-4251-BB38-699FFD24E8BC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.54 MB ID:	828185

What I like best is the nooks and crannies, the little places where a regular brush doesn’t go. This is one seriously clean grill grate!

It’s a buck ten on Amazon, but I got it for an even hunnert at Williams-Sonoma. Honestly, I probably wouldn’t spent that on it, but as a gift, it’s nice that it performs. You’ll get what you paid for, definitely.

Will it hold up? Well, there’s nothing cheap-feeling about it, that’s for sure. I’d say that this will still be working 10 years from now. Let’s hope so, anyhow! That would come to $10/year, which is a deal.
    Last edited by Mosca; April 8, 2020, 12:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the before picture!

Wow that warrants some serious consideration. Great review man, thanks for showing us that. Cleaning grates is the bane of every barbecuer's existence.

Comment

I've used mine a couple of times and am very happy with its performance.

Comment

I got one of he cheaper ones - the grill daddy (before the price went up to where it is now, I think I paid $39 for it) and it works OK, but not as good as that one. After I wear this one out, maybe...

Comment

I am impressed. The cheap way to use steam is to soak two or three layers of newspaper in water, wrap the grill in it and place back in the cooker with all the vents shut. Leave in for about ten minutes, take it out, unwrap and clean your grill.

I would use your tool more than I would do this especially since I don’t subscribe to the newspaper. It may work for someone, but it is looking like this is my next purchase.

Comment

You know what works great? A hot grill and a bowl of water to dip your wire brush in. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.
            Last edited by Attjack; April 8, 2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, but she wanted to get me a Christmas gift.

• Chuck in Charlotte
              Chuck in Charlotte commented
              Editing a comment
              And you can't wrap a bowl of water.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't subscribe to papers anymore either. Ruined my iPad!!!

Me, I don't clean mine I just get a new grate with every 3 cooks, but to each their own. Of course I kid... it's every 5 cooks, I'm not wealthy. But thank you for the review. Meathead has a very positive review on this and he loved it too (he gave it a Platinum medal!) Currently a buffalo under a hunnit on Williams Sonoma.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow! New profile pic/avatar. Huskee . Beautiful family photo. Keep them all safe and well!

Great new avatar, Huskee . What a beautiful family.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Kathryn

I have always been a sucker for gadgets, and I like to keep my grates really clean. But there is 0% chance I would have wanted this gadget until I saw that sparkling clean grate.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Tell you what, I was impressed. Cleanest it’s been since new.

Maybe they should call it the Grilltastic great cleaner?

Comment

The last time I wanted to use mine, essentially no steam came out. I fiddled with it a bit but was in a hurry so I set it aside and just used my brush.

In the meantime, I thought about the problem and realized it's probably like a cheap coffee maker that gets clogged with calcium deposits. So today I had time to fill the reservoir with vinegar and turn it on to see what happened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-10-31 13.23.37.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1499478

It took very little time for steam to start coming out again. I let the vinegar steam go for 5 minutes or so and then rinsed out the reservoir a couple of times.

It's nice having clean grates again!

Name:	2023-10-31 13.22.48.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	1499479

Name:	2023-10-31 13.20.37.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	1499480

Yeah, I know those aren't spotless, but that's REALLY clean by my usual standards...

Comment

• Starsky
                Starsky commented
                Editing a comment
                But you cleaned off all of your seasoning!

Those are SPOTLESS to me!

Comment

• Jim White
                Jim White commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha ha. What you don't know is that after cleaning those grates, I moved on to the surface of my Pit Boss Ultimate. I'm glad Mosca put up his video on cleaning his. I didn't realize the green scrubby side of a sponge could be used.

Like a fool, last time on the griddle I marinated my chicken in Bachan's. Let's just say 45 minutes of scrubbing still didn't get all the burned sugar off...

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Nobody ever replied to that video, I didn’t think it made an impression. Thanks for the mention!

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Jim White as much as I love the Bachan's, I only use it as a finishing or serving sauce now! Griddle sauces need to be sugar free...

"currently unavailable" Amazon and Williams Sonoma.

Comment

I could use something like this, but sadly.... no longer available it appears. Can't even find the maker on the Internet...

Comment

Wondering if my wife will let me take her clothing steamer out to the grill while I hold that in one hand, and a wire brush in the other....

Comment

• synodog
                    synodog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hmm, there’s an idea

• Jim White
                    Jim White commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wait until she isn't home.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here