Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with broken maul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with broken maul?

Anybody have any creative ideas on what I can do with this maul? The maul and handle are just about separated.
    Attached Files

Dunno - replace the handle??????????????

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure I have the woodworking and handy skills to do so.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus wood vs. fiberglass (or whatever material that is). Not sure I’m able?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I 100% prefer wood over plastic or fiberglass. Just go buy an axe handle, it will fit. They'll have the appropriate wedges in the same isle usually. Some folks will just add nails, but that isn't safe. Use a wedge in a new wood handle. Handles other than wood will shed or split after a missed hit or two.
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; March 16, 2020, 05:13 AM.

Use it as a wedge.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      You might find a replacement handle at the hardware store, they can advise you on replacing it. Take the maul in with you.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea!

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Second finding a new handle. They are widely available, just get the old handle out, slide in the new, and tap in some shims to set it in place.

I remember when the local hardware stores always had replacement axe handles in stock. I guess everything is on line now. A quick search found this company: https://beaver-tooth.com/collections/maul-handles.

Don’t forget to order wedges if you decide to order somewhere
    Last edited by Donw; March 15, 2020, 01:49 PM. Reason: Wedges

Comment

put a hickory handle in it wedged in shape. If worried about grip, a tennis wracked or fishing rod wrap, but I like just the wood.

Comment

If you have a tractor Supply near you they will probably have someone who knows how to replace the handle.

Comment

Thanks all!! I have some options!

Comment

When you go to seat the maul onto the new handle?
            Get it started, turn it handle up and hammer it on from the bottom side. just let the maul dangle upside down. Don't be gentle--hit the bottom of the handle that is facing up like you mean it.
            OLD oilfield trash trick. It will hammer on so tight it will never come loose.
            Also don't cut the extra off level with the maul top. Take a ball peen and mushroom it out over the maul. Then drive in the wedge.NEVER come loose.
            Last edited by Cheef; March 16, 2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              The Cheef knows what he’s talkin about!!!
              It’s quite a chunk of steel, so don’t be gentle.
              Last edited by FireMan; March 16, 2020, 08:20 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here