Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GrillGrates... season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GrillGrates... season?

I am picking up my new Grillgrates (cast aluminum) today for my Broil King gasser. Any special seasoning methods recommended before I use them? Thanks in advance

Just rub them with olive oil or veggie oil

Comment

Just ordered the three pack today. I finally gave in. Bu at least I got a free spatula.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I always tell my wife Little Caesar's just sold me 5 paper plates & napkins for $9 and gave me a free pizza!~ It's all in the perspective.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        haha, I like that. I'm going with it. Huskee

Spinaker you won't regret it. I replace all of the grates on the Weber gasser with GrillGrates and love them
      Last edited by DWCowles; May 5, 2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        awesome that is what I wont to hear. I just cant stop buying more gear that was my only reservation in buying these babies.

Spinaker There is a lot of junk out there, but these aren't one of em. They have a lot of good qualities but to me flareup control is the best, I haven't burnt anything since I got them, and I used to burn a LOT.

Comment

I love my Grill Grates. I bought 5 of them for my Summit-670 gasser. I also bought the Grate Griddle that sits on top of one of them in case I want to do bacon and eggs, or whatever. Bacon I can do with the GGs but eggs would fall right through that flipped side, I figured. Plus, I was on a roll when I bought them last year and wanted all bases covered. Love the spatula too.

The first meat I did on the GG was lamb chops and believeyoume those puppies had a bunch of fat in them. That's why I like to grill lamb outside instead of under the broiler--so it doesn't set off my smoke alarm.

It took about 4 more cooks to get rid of all that fat from the Grill Grate channels. I did as Meathead recommended and bought one of those little 1-inch-wide wire brushes to clean the channels out but the grease still seemed to come back. I was a bit discouraged. When I finally got that one segment of the grill fired up enough over several cooks to burn off all the grease, I felt better. It sort of creeped me out to see channels still glistening with grease even after getting them up to 600+ degrees F and scrubbing them down with the wire brush. I didn't cook on that segment for a while, but I fired it up with each subsequent cook to burn off more grease.

One product I use on my GGs is Grill Wipes. Meathead recommends wiping the wirebrush-cleaned grates down not only to lubricate them but also to remove any wire bits that may have come off the brush. Sounded like a good idea to me. Nothing like a trip to the ER with a wire bristle in the stomach to buzz kill a BBQ!

I use the Grill Wipes every time on my GGs, and now I can sear/cook whitefish without it breaking up, the surface is so non-stick.

Kathryn

Comment

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooove grillgrates. Load up with charcoal, doesn't matter how hot, flames can't burn nothin' up.

Comment

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod Broussard - do you use them on your kettle?

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, they are made for my smokey joe, but since I have a 22" now, I just make a brick pit in that one that allows full use of the grates.
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; May 5, 2015, 04:37 PM. Reason: Keep spelling "yeah" as "yeh"

Sounds like I will have to look into Grill wipes. I am really excited to try these bad boys out!
          I just put the (5) 17-3/8 grates in and noticed that they fit in super tight. There are no gaps on the sides or ends. Should I be worried about leaving room for airflow? Should I cut them?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Nah, they got plenty gaps in the grates.

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            What you may need to watch for is if there is enough room for them to expand when heated. My lid doesn't shut when they have expanded to their maximum length.

They will be fine

Comment

Great, thanks!

Comment

Tim, I followed these guidelines from the Grill Grate site to figure out what size to order. Since the recommendation was 1 inch gap all around, that's what I have. I have no problems with them except when I'm cleaning them they tend to want to scoot back and forth a bit. I use them on a gasser, so I wanted to make sure there was plenty of air circulation all around.

Kathryn

From the FAQs on GrillGrate.com:
              How do I choose the right size GrillGrates for my grill?
              The most important measurement is the length of the grates on your grill. Stand in front of your grill and measure the front to back dimension. You will want an inch or so on the sides for proper heat convection. So, for example, if your grates measure 16 inches front to back, the 13.75 inch length will work for you. Next, you determine the width of your grill surface, then decide how many GrillGrates you want across, choosing to cover all or just a portion of your grill surface. All GrillGrates are 5.25 inch wide and interlock. 2 grates = 10.5 inches, 3 grates = 15.375 inches, 4 grates = 20.5 inches, 5 grates = 25.5 inches *when the panels are interlocked you lose about 1/8" per panel. If one of our lengths is the exact dimension of your front to back measurement, that is okay too. Just make sure you leave some open space on the left and right side (width) of your grill for air circulation
              Last edited by fzxdoc; May 5, 2015, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I used cannula oil because of the flash point. I love them. You, literally, won't be able to burn a hamburger.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  No truer words have eve been written. When I take the lid off my kettle, flames shoot up, nearly burn my arm, I flip, put the lid back on, go back to the computer.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Refined Avocado Oil (costco) Is excellent as well 525 F flash point! Also works great for stir fry too!
                  Last edited by Spinaker; May 6, 2015, 08:44 PM.

I think the first thing you should try on your Grill Grates is marinated chicken breast tenders. Cook until they reach 160F then serve. You'll thank me.

Comment

David Parrish marinade recipe please
                  Last edited by DWCowles; May 5, 2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                    David Parrish marinated recipe please

I use Moore's Original marinade and Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing mixed until the liquid looks muddy. Let that marinate for an hour or more (more is better). This is a family recipe handed down to me 30 years ago. Maybe Huskee can tell us what he thinks of it.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      DWCowles, I would say roughly 50/50 yeah. I just dumped some of each in a ziploc with the chicken until it was "enough". Then I did a redneck vacuum seal (rolled the ziploc up like a burrito until most of the air was out, then sealed it) and flipped it every hr or two for good measure.

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      David Parrish and Huskee, "Parrinade": I love the title...especially when spoken with a Julia Childs' inflection: "Parri-nahde!"

Going to give this a try on my next boring grilled skinless boneless chicken breast go-round. Have to balance out the calories from those PB and ribs feasts somehow.

Kathryn

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds good Kathryn. I like to use chicken tenders or pounded breasts and cook them on my gasser with Grill Grates (the GGs make a definite difference).

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here