Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Diffusers from Walmart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef Diffusers from Walmart

So I ordered some heat diffusers from Walmart and this is what I got:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200202_121138.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	799645Click image for larger version

Name:	20200202_121126.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	799646
    Lots of rust - it was so bad the paper was stuck in several places. Guess I need to order directly from Camp Chef.

When I bought my table saw from Lowes years ago, the top looked like that. Had to take it back and get another one (which I opened and looked at before I left Lowes again...)

Comment

This is another reason I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. Looks like it got wet somehow at the warehouse or in shipping. (Also, being from MN, I have to support Target.)

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. I thought I was saving a buck or two. I am old enough to know better.

That is REALLY bad.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I had to look a couple of times to believe it. The cardboard wrapping was actually stuck to the metal. No more Walmart for anything like that.

klflowers , I ordered my diffusers (Fire Tamer by Camp Chef) directly from Camp Chef last summer and they arrived looking much the same, stuck paper and all. I called Camp Chef and they offered to replace them, but I didn't want to wait for the turnaround time; I was eager to get my CC Somerset IV going full speed.

So Camp Chef gave me a credit towards their original purchase--half the purchase price including shipping. Nice customer service.

I soaked them overnight in a tub of full-strength distilled white vinegar. By morning all the rust was gone. I washed them off, oiled them up and put them in the oven to "cure". Then I wiped off any excess oil. I've been using those diffusers ever since, without any further treatment, and they still look great. No rust, no stuck-on paper.

For photos and details of the cleanup, see this post: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...738#post696738

Here are a couple before/after photos. You can see the stuck-on paper on the lower left Flame Tamer in the before photos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Side 1 Rusted Flame Tamers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	799724

The one on the far right in the photo below was used with a CI dutch oven in my first cook. That's what it looked like after the cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rust Removed from Flame Tamers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	799723

HTH,
      Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 4, 2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Kathryn, I remember that thread - I even commented on how it advanced me along the road to getting my Tahoe. I didn't follow it though, and I missed that post. I already send them back to Walmart; I'll remember when I reorder from Camp Chef. Thanks for this - now I'll know what to do. May even get them for half price!!!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing not to like about half price, klflowers. I scored that deal by doing an online chat on the Camp Chef site, FWIW. The Flame Tamers clean up nicely. I wouldn't use my CC Somerset IV without them.

Kathryn

Just to throw another log on the fire, I got mine from Camp Chef (if you online ordered from Wally World they were probably drop shipped from Utah) and the same as Kathryn fzxdoc . Rust spots and packaging transfer. As she did, these can be easily treated with whatever your favorite form of acid is. Since they don't come in contact with food it's really not much of an issue other than the annoyance of something "new" not looking very good, along with having to "repair" them. Their customer service is very accommodating as Kathryn learned, so you'll get some bonus when the same sort of thing arrives as this appears to be an inherent problem in their system.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, what you said. I was just really annoyed that something that was supposed to be brand new was in that condition. I have some on order directly from Camp Chef; we'll see what they look like when they arrive.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Let us know, klflowers , what they look like when they arrive.

K.

Yeah, the ones I ordered were much the same with perhaps ever so slightly less rust & packaging sticking. But remembering that Kathryn ordered hers directly from Camp Chef prevented me from sending them back. (Even if they did make her a great deal.)

Anyway, they got the fzxdoc treatment from the earlier thread.
      Obviously it won't hurt the performance, but it's still a bit shocking to open a package and have it look so cruddy. I'm somewhat surprised they weren't oiled or otherwise treated by Camp Chef. Kinda disappointing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here