Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a garlic press...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a garlic press...

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes.

My SO uses, er...rather, used, a garlic press that belonged to her grandmother.
    I think Noah used it prior to that.

Well, the inevitable happened...it finally went the way of the dodo.

So now she wants a new one...
    The thing is, I have NEVER even owned one...let alone used one for years.
    I simply bash the thing with the side of my knife and proceed to chop, mince, or mash it into a paste depending on what I want.
    Alas, her knife skills (and I use that word loosely) are suspect at best. Sometimes, careless & dangerous are words that come to mind. At least from my perspective. So much so that she herself understands that and really hates using knives if she can avoid it.

Thus the want for a new press.
    I was looking at the Kuhn Rikon "Epicurean" because it looks easy to use and even easier to clean...

But I figured I would ask for some options & opinions before I purchased one.
    Anyone have any experience with it...or another that they recommend?

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      He was really just crushing garlic! But, you know what happens when you drink vodka.

I had a couple that I never used because I thought they were dumb.i took one to Goodwill and my sister grabbed the other. She said it was a really good one and that they're indispensable. Now I have none and am left with some regrets and wonder if I'm missing out.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t think so... I’ve never owned one and I add garlic to all sorts of things. She though, like your sister, thinks it’s absolutely necessary.

There is only one garlic press, as far as I'm concerned.

It flips open so you can easily dig out the remains and makes for easy cleaning.

Comment

I've owned an Epicurean for over 10 years now and love it. The stainless steel construction seems indestructible and it does a great job of pressing the garlic. And, as you note, the flip out hopper is pretty easy to clean. The only downside is that you have to remember to keep your thumb on the hopper when loading it or it can flip open and spill the garlic.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never seen this one, very similar to the Rosle.

I have to say I'm a garlic fanatic..garlic powder, black garlic, black garlic salt, garlic juice - all in the cabinet. Heck, I grow 5 types of garlic( it's a winter plant and does great during the winters her in SC (@surfdog, that's South Carolina not Southern California!). Agree with MattTheGR8, own a Khun-Rikon and love it. A lot of people swear by Alpha-Grillers Garlic Press and it's lots cheaper. Whatever you get, you'll be happier that you have one and wonder how you ever did without it! By the way, just so you know, Elephant garlic and the stuff you buy in stores is not really garlic. It's really members of the artichoke family, not the Allium family. I suggest you shop at Farmer's Markets or on-line for real garlic or better yet, grow your own. You'll be really surprised at the taste difference
    The OmegaDog
    Last edited by OmegaDog12; January 12, 2020, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      The Alpha-Grillers looks a bit like the Rosle but without the flip out hopper...

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      surfdog Whatever you get do get one that flips out,it makes all the difference in the world, If your SO has never used one before I guarantee you'll earn several brownie points!

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb That’s one of these things about the Kuhn Rikon and Rösle presses that caught my eye. I think it’s down to those two.

I know you didn't ask, but here is how I peel garlic.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      klflowers Not bad, my leg is still attached. :-) We finally got a bit of snow and now the deep freeze is coming this week, temps hovering in the single digits and below. So I'm just hunkered down and will use the time to build beehives and get ready for spring. Still no garlic in the ground, hopefully get it ready and planted this fall. BTW, looking for someone to lease or workshare my other farm, just in case you want to play! ;-)

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad you are doing well. Thanks for the offer on the lease - I'll give it some thought.

NOT!!! I got tired just reading that lol.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it...but a bit more than I need. We only use about half that on a typical weekend. LOL

Don't overlook the Microplane.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure that she would go for that.

My fine SoCal friend. Might I suggest this. I buy them at Ralph’s. I ain’t got time for that other nonsense. Especially with Suspect knife skills you will be a hero.

You are very welcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2A78CC59-CD6C-4625-A75C-B0A105306453.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	790738

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep momma happy!

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey I'm not hating on it, just curious on the price. Mincing and filling ice cube trays is a common way to preserve garlic. BTW, I was just going on what is written on the package in the bottom right corner. I notice it is 'Natural'. I've grown lots of garlic, I've yet to see one that grows into little one teaspoon cubes. Must be Californian garlic, eh? ;-)

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      Also, I'm afraid we do need remotes, my new TV won't work without it, no buttons, no dials. I remember the days when walking over to the TV to switch channels was part of my exercise programme, now it's been cut down to just fetching beer out of the refrigerator. At least my elbow is still well exercised!

Here is the one I use from Zyliss. It works great, it is sturdy and it is easy to clean.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	12084.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	790826

Comment

• Brewmaster
      Brewmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Had the same one, loved it

My kids got a hold of mine and it is now in the Play-Doh tool box. So no garlic press for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here