Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remotely monitor thermometers for Ole Hickory Smokers, coolers, & ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remotely monitor thermometers for Ole Hickory Smokers, coolers, & ovens

Hey,

About to open up a BBQ restaurant here in a few weeks and seeing what kind of technology we can implement to monitor things remotely on a few pieces of equipment. We have a two Ole Hickory Smokers, two ovens, walk-in cooler and a walk-in freezer.

Basically - we are wanting the ability to be notified if "things aren't going well" and we need to wake up and come in.

For the Smokers - we want to be notified if the temp drops below a certain temp or goes above a certain temp. We will be coming in at 6 daily, but if things go wrong at midnight we want to know sooner.
    An alarm for things going poorly is all we absolutely have to have, but we wouldn't mind things like remote monitoring via phone or something. Any recommendations on a good system for this? We clearly don't need probes (since no way to keep the cords from getting tangled up in racks).

For The Ovens - we want at least 4 probes to monitor items. I have the Maverick ET732 for my own smoker at home, but for here I need something a little more resistant to water. Hourly employees will be using, cleaning, and monitoring these items so things like water (which destroyed a probe on my ET732) will definitely come into contact with them. We also don't need the wireless monitoring (wouldn't hate it though). Any thoughts on a good and durable probe set?

Walk-In Freezer/Cooler - Currently trying to see if we can get a notification from our security company in the event power goes out, but if there's a way to monitor this remotely as well that would be amazing.

Any recommendations on what to get or where to start my search? Any help would be amazing!!

Thanks!

First of all welcome to the Pit!! Secondly cool handle !! And to your question I’d look to the ThermoWorks folks for your commercial thermo needs. Good luck !!

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC. I second going to Thermoworks.com and checking out there professional section. You will find water proof probes there and a lot of other neat probes and goodies.

Comment

I know a lot of restaurants are using Swift sensors https://www.swiftsensors.com/
        The sensor costs aren't bad but I have no idea what the subscription costs are. On the plus side they have a serious focus on monitoring walk-ins. It's all automatic 24/7 and it all goes to one place where you can set email, SMS and even phone call notifications in the event of a problem.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Just a backyard cooker here. I use Thermoworks products.

Comment

L I B. Another Founding Flusher posting fer the first time! Welcome. I know nothing about remotes for a restaurant, but would like to know remotely where yer restaurant is opening up. Wish you well in your endeavor. 🕶

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I'd just call Thermoworks and ask them. They have great customer service.

Comment

I would highly recommend you check out Fireboard. 6 probes, either ambient or food probes. the Thermoworks Signals has similar capabilities, but only 4 probes total. Both will send text or email alerts. I do not know of any monitors that have the ability to alert remotely (meaning anywhere, not just within a certain linear foot range) without using WiFi. They all use wired probes. Well, there is a wireless, Wifi option called Meater. It uses wireless probes, but they connect to a box (called a "brick") that needs to be close to the probes, and then uses Wifi for reporting/alerting.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks! Going to look into all of those options!

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                    L I B. Another Founding Flusher posting fer the first time! Welcome. I know nothing about remotes for a restaurant, but would like to know remotely where yer restaurant is opening up. Wish you well in your endeavor. 🕶
                    Central BBQ is an award-winning barbecue restaurant based out of Memphis, TN. Our secret ingredients to success include our delicious, fall-off-the-bone meat, smoked in southern hospitality, and doused with good times.

Thanks! If you ever make it to Nashville or Memphis come give Central BBQ a try! We hope to open in a few weeks!

Comment

• Donw
                      Donw commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Be prepared. You just might have 400 or so just show up during the Meat Up.🙂

• SmokinPorkDrinkinBeers
                      SmokinPorkDrinkinBeers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awesome! We'll take it! I'm gonna be at the Nashville store, but I can give them a heads up in Memphis. Really wish we were in Memphis that week for training instead of last week.

Good luck with the new place!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here