Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your fuel of choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your fuel of choice?

lump? wood? briquettes? gas? electric?

Brands?

Why?

Just seeking knowledge.

Me.

Kingsford Blue.

Why? Cheap, consistent and don't know no better. ( is that grammar correct : )

Kingsford Blue Bag for all of my charcoal grills. Hasty Bake Lump Charcoal whenever I want to use lump (typically I think lump is a bad idea but this stuff is a cut above the rest). B&B pellets for the pellet smoker.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder on the pellets. I'm way behind the times in that area...

Comment

Kingsford blue. I've tried "them all". I know that's embellishing a bit but I have bought or mail ordered nearly all kinds of charcoal from Wicked Good to Stubbs to Royal Oak, and on & on. I've tried lump, I've tried briqs, I have a bag of Coffee Coals on my counter yet to try. These brands are ALL good products....but expensive for what you get royal Oak would have to be the best deal next to Kford. The only product that wasn't worth the bag they came in was a store brand of charcoal I picked up once. I was convinced it was just Kford in a different bag (like many generic products are). Wrong.

For all factors weighed together in the equation- consistency vs. price vs. availability, I go back to Kingsford blue. If you can score the holiday sales of two 20lb bags for ~$10 it's just unbeatable IMO.

I would use lump for grilling steaks or chops but never an all day low & slow.
        Last edited by Huskee; July 12, 2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I stock pile. Not a hoarder, just a stockpiler!

Comment

Thats just smart XC

Comment

• hystyk4
              hystyk4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thoroughly impressed by your stock piling. I've been tempted the last few times at Home Depot. They have been having 2 for $10 sale on and off most of the summer.

I use the Kingsford blue bags. It's available almost everywhere, and a very good price during the summer sales. I prefer briquettes over lump because they don't pop and spit charcoal out of the chimney starter or grill.

Comment

I've used Kingsford blue for the most part, but for the past few years I've been using hardwood logs thanks to a neighbor with some land with a lot of trees on it in Utah. He brings me back a load once or twice a year in exchange for my using some of it to cook some meat for him every so often. His wife will season it and then he brings it over for me to smoke.

When I say logs, I mean 5" to 8" in diameter and about a foot in length. (Don't even think about splitting one of those with a hand axe, ain't gonna happen.) It gets pretty crowded in the COS firebox, but I've learned to deal with it. I put down about a half-chimney of Kingsford blue, put a log on that, and then rotate the log about 90 degrees every 10 - 15 min until it is combusting. Once going, it will last anywhere from 2 - 4 hours and put out a very steady heat with no open flame to speak of.

The only tricky part is when it gets about 2/3rds of the way through and has turned to charcoal. That's when I have to really close off the damper to keep it from spiking on me.

Comment

I use a mix of lump and kford briq for most bbq. I do like to use lump for steaks. I like the hotter burn and fell it gives a better sear. As far as smoking I use pecan split logs.For the simple reason I have easy access to it and it seems to have a better taste.

Comment

BBQ'Rs delight-- apple or pecan

Comment

Kingsford Blue on my Weber kettle. Cheap and I can't see any reason to experiment on fuel, especially while I am trying to figure things out...

Comment

Kingsford Blue Bag is my goto fuel because it is reliable and cheap. I have found weird items in my lump charcoal in the past

Comment

I do one of two things briquettes or gas. Usually use gas for thicker cuts (boston butts, brisket, etc.).

When I use briquettes it's usually either Kingsford Competiton or Stubbs, both have worked out well for me. Just keep adding coals and chips/chunks as needed on top of the pile

When I use gas, I put a small firebox over the lit burner on the far end, line it with smoker chips, and put some lit briquettes on top and then more smoker chips, and then I just keep adding a few briquettes and smoker chips as needed. It works pretty well IMO.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here