Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you cutting with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you cutting with?

Maybe knife talk is over rated but what are you cutting with and why? I like heavy german steel but have never really tried anything else. Well other than a 30 year old set of Chicago cutlery that is like the energizer bunny... : ) Not to mention is heavy american steel, I think?

I used to be a big Wusthof fan. Then I tried some Japanese blades (Tojiro) and the edge was much better, so I replaced my Wusthof's with those. One day I tried a Shun Classic and I was in love - pretty much all I use now. They are great - well balanced and really hold an edge. Didn't think I would like the D handle but they fit my hand perfectly and are very comfortable. Now going back to a Western-style handle is awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
      I used to be a big Wusthof fan. Then I tried some Japanese blades (Tojiro) and the edge was much better, so I replaced my Wusthof's with those. One day I tried a Shun Classic and I was in love - pretty much all I use now. They are great - well balanced and really hold an edge. Didn't think I would like the D handle but they fit my hand perfectly and are very comfortable. Now going back to a Western-style handle is awkward.

I'm not as wise as Mark so I still have a set of Wusthof knives. I also have these which were recommended by Meathead: Rapala Fillet Knife and Messermeister Meridian Elite Forged 10" Slicer

Comment

I have tried many different knives, many of the good quality. Like mgaretz, when I tried Shun, I was done trying different knives. I have been using Shun for 5 plus years and they hold their sharpness and are fun to use in the kitchen. I recently cooked a brisket and used my chinook salmon knife to cut it, which is a high quality German steel blade and is long enough for filleting 30 plus pound salmon which Shun doesn't make a comparable knife. Other than that, Shun is it. They are awesome! Crimedawg

Comment

I use a set of black plastic handled cheapies from wally world we got at our wedding in '02. I should invest in new knives.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee .... quality knives are incredibly important. Makes a world of difference in the kitchen. Professional chefs using high quality equipment because it makes a huge difference. Buckle down, put the money together and buy a good set of knives. I've got the Wusthof Classic series and LOVE them.

For trimming I have a few large ceramic knives, which are sharp enough to take your finger off. I use a local filet knife typically used for fish. These guys are awesome and in my hometown.

Comment

I used some old cheap knives for years. I'd sharpen them myself and they would get dull pretty quickly. Last year I finally splurged and bought what I thought was a decent set of Henckels. They were over $150. I was happy for about two to three weeks and then I started to notice rust spots appearing on some of the knives in the knife block. And those were the ones that were NOT being used. I took them back to the store and they allowed me to exchange them for some Cuisinart knives.

I've had the knives for over a year now and I'm satisfied with them. I'd love to have a pro set, but I don't cook for a living. I'd definitely get better ones if I did.

The most important tool you need is a good sharpener. The most dangerous thing in a kitchen is a dull knife. I've bought a dozen sharpeners over the years and all of the small handheld sharpeners have failed me eventually. A couple of years ago I bought a 4-in-1 electric sharpener that does knives, scissor, drill bits and wood chisels. I had not used it until this week. But I was very frustrated because my knives were getting progressively duller and I finally dug it out of the garage.

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to use it, but I was able to restore the edge to all my knives and scissors. It is a thing of joy to use a truly sharp knife again! You can spend a lot of money on knives and even the best ones will get dull. So, getting a really good sharpener is definitely as important, if not more so.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              But, can you cut a boot and an aluminum can like the Ginsu?

HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY FOR ALL THESE ITEMS? Wait theres more... guaranteed for 50 years... all for only 9.99

Comment

I've used a lot of sharpeners over the years and the one that actually works without ruining your knives is the EdgePro Apex. Manual but you can get a precise angle and has a wide variety of stones. It worked wonders on my Wusthofs, but other than having to touch up my Shun nakiri because it was a closeout store demo, I haven't had to use it on my other Shuns, and I've had them several years now. (Shun will sharpen them for free, but you gave to send them in.) it's also important to use a "steel" regularly, but not the one that most likely came with your set. A ceramic steel is the best.

Comment

My favorite knife for cutting up birds is my Victorinox 40515 semi stiff 6 inch curved boning knife . It started very sharp and stays that way. I use it for turkey, chicken, pheasant, grouse, etc. For other purposes I have a Henckels set that is ok.

Comment

I have lacked in my attention when it comes to quality knives. I currenty use chefs knife from sams for most of my cutting,chopping and trimming. . Any suggestions on a boning knife. Do I need a flexible or stiff blade? I do sharpen them with a work sharp belt sharpener. I will add that it sharpens quickly and easly. Any info would be helpfull

Comment

I use wusthof for my knife set, however the knives I use for dinner were given to me by one of my best friends for a wedding gift, they are called Goldhamster from Germany, and they are spectacular. Great balance, the blade cuts through everything like butter. I don't know what he paid for them, but they couldn't be cheap. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
                      I've used a lot of sharpeners over the years and the one that actually works without ruining your knives is the EdgePro Apex.
                      +1

This is an awesome sharpening system

Comment

How do you tell if a sharpener is ruining your knives? Is it obvious and if it is, is it then too late to repair? Thanks. Jim

Comment

I've been using the AccuSharp knife sharpener recommended by Cook's Illustrated. It's about 10 bucks on Amazon, no joke. I have a set of Cutco knives, some of which are serrated (college kids selling knives, c'mon, how can you resist that when you've got a college kid of your own (at the time) ???) , and that AccuSharp sharpens those serrated knives as well. It's amazing. I also have two Victorinox (the Swiss Army Knife guys) knives, the flexible boning knife and the 8 inch chef's knife and they are so amazing (also recommended by Cook's Illustrated) that I might lose a finger on one of these days, they keep their edges so sharp.

Besides that, for veggies, I have two Kyocera ceramic knives that are sharp as all get out. I have a Kyocera ceramic knife sharpener for them. I bought them at a kewl kitchen store in Fredricksburg, Texas after I'd imbibed one of their local brews along with an antelope steak for lunch. You get the picture. Anyway I love them, and they're a lot nicer than some of the other impulse buys I've made. Ask my husband for details.

AccuSharp also sells a scissor sharpener, and since I design and make my own clothes, my sewing scissors being used for paper cutting by the male half of our happy home has edged us toward the divorce attorneys (OK I like to bluff) more times than not. That scissors sharpener is great as well.

Kathryn

Comment

• JohnF
                            JohnF commented
                            Editing a comment
                            +1 for Accusharp, don't get much easier than that.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here