Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Accessory You've Purchased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Broil King Keg diffuser plate. I ended up buying a BGE diffuser plate to replace it. The one that comes with the BKK is garbage. It is light weight which gains you nothing. And they promote it as a water pan,, something you never want in a kamado. I threw it out after only a few uses. Wish I had the $50 back. Absolute trash.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	accessory_KA5533-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.9 KB ID:	790843

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Given that so many people with "water" smokers don’t use, or even like, their water pans...it’s somewhat odd that they would promote such a use in a kamado. O_o
      Shame it failed as a diffuser as well.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it was just too thin. It was maybe a half an inch thick. And water pans in a kamado just creates a steam bath. When I first got it, I knew nothing about smoking or kamados for that matter. So I was totally blind going into this purchase. (Then I found AR) surfdog

Not the worst accessory, but one I haven't used but once - the Lodge cook it all. Luckily I got it on sale during the open house they had last year at the factory in South Pittsburg, TN. I have used it once; now that I have the Camp Chef stove, I'll use the griddle lid too at some point. Maybe I need to watch more Kent Rollins to get my juices flowing. I love having it though - it is big, heavy and pretty cool looking.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	cook it all.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.8 KB ID:	790869
    Last edited by klflowers; January 13, 2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      surfdog I went to that youtube link. Wow. Pretty cool to see that chef put the Cook-it-all through its paces. I don't need one, not that that has ever stopped me in the past, but I probably will pass on it for now.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I think this is a cool item, it just is not practical for the average home cook. I used mine a lot when I was camping out in MT last summer. It was handy. Kent Rollins will help too!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      surfdog, Dr. Pepper, take a look a this guys review before you buy:

Cut to the end, he uses it as a boat anchor. Makes me feel really good about this expenditure lol.

For me it was quite a few years ago.
    Worst purchase EVER was a ThermaPen Instant read thermometer.
    ABSOLUTELY an awakening. Always thought I could guess pretty close, and this thing humbled me beyond imagination.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      And it did it in seconds! LOL

I used to use several "good" Taylor thermometers...and ALWAYS kept one in my sleeve pocket. And then I discovered the ThermaPen. Game changer.

Bread machine. If you want to make good bread, this is not it.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      I was given one MANY MANY moons ago...
      Used it several times...and in doing so prompted me into learning how to make bread myself. So while I agree, it’s a pretty decent catalyst to explore more.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      My grandmother had one, she only left the bread in it through the first rise, then she'd pull it out and finish it in a traditional bread pan. I think she started doing it this way after kneading the bread became difficult for her. Bread came out good this way.

Here is another good that I was thinking about last night while I was trimming up a brisket. The Quick Trim Meat Trimmer. I thought it would be ideal for doing briskets. Just go back to using a regular trimming knife. This thing sucks. The edges get all gunked up with fat and meat. (Which is really nasty) And the blade is dull out of the box. I was pretty disappointed in this item.

Click image for larger version  Name:	qwick_trim_meat_trimmer_1000.png Views:	21 Size:	78.5 KB ID:	791693

Comment

The official Portable Kitchen charcoal basket. Unless you're a fan of having pointless rusted chunks of metal sitting around, don't buy one.

if anyone cares why exactly, it's too short to keep your charcoal in place and gets clogged with ash about halfway through smoking some ribs. The fact it's cheap steel and rusts horribly from humidity alone much less rain doesn't help matters either.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Might make a good anchor?

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I can only hope its recyclable.

Mine was probably one of those jaccard meat tenderizer things...from what I could tell it did absolutely nothing and they're just a pain to clean. Used it maybe three times and since then it's been in the back of my pantry, never to be heard from again. Otherwise it was probably buying cheap thermometers...you end up replacing them anyway so I say just spend the cash and get a ThermoPop or Thermapen.

Not really a "stupid" purchase per se but for some reason I have like 5 different brands of skewers (some cast iron, a bunch of various stainless ones) despite the fast that I use skewers like 3 times a year. I do like the cast iron ones for baked potatoes though. Oh and drumstick hangar for my Barrelhouse, 9 times out of 10 I just use it like a regular grill grate to put veggies or whatever else I'm cooking on.

I saw a bunch of people mention Vortexes as well...they're a neat item but perhaps a little overpriced IMO. I went to the dollar store and got a small stainless steel bowl and just cut the bottom out with a Dremel, and smoothed the edge out, works a treat. "Real" Vortexes are probably a little thicker gauge steel than my dollar store bowl but I could literally make 20 homemade ones for the price of one name brand one so if this one ever wears out I'm not too concerned.

Comment

Worst Gadget I ever bought was an electric wand thingy charcoal starter. It just wasn't as fun to light charcoal as too much lighter fluid and a match!! Thankfully I grew out of that phase when i discovered chimneys and starter cubes.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          If you like to play with fire, just get a torch. The Bernzomatic TS8000 does a fantastic job. I haven't used a chimney in over 2 years.

• Greasy
          Greasy commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a TS4000. Those things are awesome.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here