Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AGS Countertop Meat Tumbler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGS Countertop Meat Tumbler

Does anyone have one of these or similar or has used one?

Shop for wood pellet grills, smokers, and griddles. Try new recipes and learn about our 8-in-1 grill versatility. Our grills help you craft BBQ recipes to perfection.

I don't have one, but I do know MH is not a fan.
    "I do not recommend vacuum marinators

There are several companies that make devices in which you place the food and then create a vacuum. In theory the vacuum sucks the marinade in. I do not recommend them because the vacuum can also suck in microbes. If you don't cook the food up to about 165°F, well past well done, you run the risk of a tummy ache, or much worse.
    '
    Last edited by Glenn Vergara; July 26, 2016, 05:23 PM. Reason: Removed references to CDN domain

Comment

Boss that would be Nuff Said for me.

Comment

David Parrish we had another thread that discussed this a bit.

Comment

Interesting. Based on what we know of the principles of marinades and how meat has too tiny of pores for flavor molecules to travel into (salt being the exception) I wonder why this "marinades in minutes instead of hours"?

Comment

The negative pressure likely rips tissue apart allowing marinade to slip in, sort of like injecting but more uniform

Comment

From Dr. Blonder: (http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...ent-1368222523)

"Does not help very much- there is very little air in raw meat, so the vacuum has nothing to "draw" out to be replaced by marinade.
              BUT, you can improve cooked meat by resting in a vacuum bag along with a bit of jus, and it will absorb flavor. Cooking creates fissures and pockets as the fat renders and moisture evaporates."

Comment

I'm not much of a gadget kind of guy, so I tend to agree with the others in that I would pass on this device. Injecting is much more efficient. The food product industry agrees and acts accordingly. The 75-100 bucks you save would go a long way in injectors and product to flavor your food. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Can you polish stones with it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	8a2bfb806661f4c0a5368f55c3f7274e.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	64811

Last edited by Jon Solberg; February 21, 2015, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Strat50
                    Strat50 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At the same time you vacuum your floors. I wonder if it works with a Flowbee?

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HAAAAAA! Thats a great flashback memory! Forgot about that classic. Good one Strat!

• Marauderer
                    Marauderer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jon Solberg Strat50 You old Codgers are hard. Jon that may be an option. I am going to work with it and see how it does

​Marauderer Jon Solberg Strat50 , actually Barry, I think you're headed in the right direction. If the tumbler works for you, I'm going to figure out how to do the job in my clothes dryer, of course, running on air dry...no heat and a really rugged vacuum packer. It might be funny! Let us know how this develops.

Comment

Interesting thread. One I was specifically looking for.
                    My wife and I recently bought a Marinade Express.
                    I am completely, totally impressed with it.
                    An apple based marinade on a lowly pork loin completely brings the loin into a new realm of flavor and moistness.
                    My experience with injecting has always resulted in a ho-hum flavor.
                    30 minutes in this tumbling marinader seems to draw the marinade in much better than I could ever get an injection in.
                    We do chicken thighs and breast often with equally good results.
                    Quick edit to add.
                    We do a lot of beef jerky.
                    Slice the meat then 20 minutes in the tumbler, and it results in the most completely saturated jerky we have ever made. Definitely a 2 thumbs up for jerky.
                    It would be interesting to see some more feed back on these machines.

Last edited by Cheef; October 11, 2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here