Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GrillGrates and indirect cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GrillGrates and indirect cooking

First off, I've cooked with my GrillGrates twice on the gas grill...once for chicken wings, once for steaks. For the wings I did not use the burner directly under the grates, only the two off to the side. For the steaks, it was the burner directly under the grates, full bore. Both times I got the results I was looking for with no flare-ups or lost food (I've fished many a charred wing out of the bottom of the grill).

When I bought the GrillGrates, the idea was to put them in my Primo Jr., so I bought the small round set with one custom panel cut to the diameter of the circle. So far, I've only used them on the gas Weber, mostly due to the six feet of snow we've gotten North of Boston.

My question is: when I do get around to using them on the Primo, will it be more like indirect cooking at lower (225 - 300F) temps and still like searing direct when I let the coals go wild? I like the idea of using the grates rather than the ceramic heat deflectors/drip pan but am not sure it will behave the way I expect.

Any thoughts?

Anybody?

Comment

Carol I'm not sure how you intend to use the grates in the Primo... As a diffuser or as a grate the meat sits on?

If you're using them to set the meat on they're going to concentrate heat to the meat, and the meat will cook as if your primo was maybe 100F hotter than it is...

Check out MH's write-up here: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...ll_grates.html

Comment

Generally, I use them in my BGE to focus the sear. I'm going to practice this weekend on a cooker than only has Grill Grates for the cooking surface. That may give me more insight for you. My initial thought is that if you want to go indirect with the Primo, the ceramic heat deflectors are still necessary.

Comment

• carolts
          carolts commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll be interested in hearing what you find out, Miss CandySue. Six feet of snow and single-digit temps have cut into my cooker experiments.

I have found myself mostly using them to finish off chicken/pork chops on direct heat (for grill marks).

What I REALLY like doing however is using the flat surface as a griddle for "smashburgers". This works well on both the gas grill and Weber charcoal. MUCH better than cooking indoors where grease splatters all over the range. You get the flatness of a cast iron skillet PLUS the benefit of flame broiling

Comment

I have a Weber Genesis with a custom set of GrillGrates in place of the grates that came with the unit. I reverse sear by cooking on the side without the burners and then moving over to the direct heat side for a great sear. You will like the results! They really control the heat and control flareups.

Comment

• carolts
            carolts commented
            Editing a comment
            I reverse seared some on the primo before I got the GrillGrates, and now I need to try that again with. I do know they performed wonderfully using indirect on the Genesis for chicken wings and directly for steaks I cooked with direct high heat. The lack of flare-up is perhaps my favorite thing about them.

Thanks, Boss...I now see the flaw in my thinking. I was wondering if they could be thought of as a diffuser and grate in one, but the second paragraph of your answer was exactly the info I needed. I had read the article but I guess I wasn't thinking it through. Somehow I was thinking they could be a diffuser/drip pan/grate in one for a slower cook. It sounds like they can be a diffuser/drip pan and I then use my regular rack.

My main purpose in getting them was for burgers, fish, steak, and chops...just trying to understand how versatile they might be.

Again, thanks to all who responded!
          Last edited by carolts; February 20, 2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here