Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Customizing" Grill Grates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Customizing" Grill Grates

I am looking to buy some grill grates for my cheapo gasser. It has odd sized grates so I was wondering if anybody has any experience buying slightly oversized GG's and cutting them down (to length)? If so, I would like advice/suggestions on what method to use: Angle grinder? Table saw with carbide tipped blade? Other? I would be buying the 17 3/8" GG's and my takes a 17" grate, even.

Thanks.

Man I dont know much about Grill Grates but taking 3/8's off them is not much. My vote is table saw over grinder if thats my options

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. That was my first thought. I didn't know if GG aluminum was too hard for the table saw which is why I was looking for some experienced advice if possible.

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      we cut a lot of aluminum in the shop with a table saw. Normally small trim stock. We do use tallow and shut the dust collector off to that saw but its not uncommon. Your only taking of 3/8s and the kerf is an 1/8 so be careful. go slow. For what its worth I would do it at home.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 13, 2015, 08:29 PM.

Dew,they say aircraft aluminium which is probably 6061 aluminium and will not be hard.
    I have cut plenty of aluminium on a chop saw or power miter saw and table saw. Use a very fine pitch (lot of teeth close together) finish blade and use WD-40 (this is the key to cutting aluminum)on the blade and grate to keep the Aluminium from gumming up, Should cut like butter but don't force it, slowly feed the blade into it.
    hope this helps, Dean
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; January 13, 2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      I concur

They sell custom sized grates, as in you tell them the lengths you want. Why not go that way?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      thats not fun or dangerous! hehehehe

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      They even show a miter saw being used!Lol

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Reading through these posts this is what I was thinking, good call PB.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here