Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Vertical Poulty Roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Vertical Poulty Roaster

Has anyone had any experiance using the Weber vertical poultry roaster (6408 Style)? I'm thinking of purchasing one, but I'm not sure if I like the design or not. I'm worried that the pan it comes with will block the hot air flow, and that the bottom of the chicken won't cook properly. I'm also unsure what the best way to use it would be. Thanks for any help offered.

Ive never used one . You may want to check the equipment reviews tab.

Comment

Thank you. I've checked, but I didn't see anything.

Comment

Meathead has some great chicken recipes that don't require chicken sitters. Check 'em out: http://amazingribs.com/search_results.html?q=chicken

Comment

• Edwin
          Edwin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Max. I'll be sure to try those. However, that doesn't really answer my question. There are times where I'd like to just roast the whole chicken on the grill, as opposed to breaking it down into parts.

I haven't used one of those but i would imagine it would work fine. looks simliar to ones i use for beer can chicken.

Comment

I'm personally not crazy about non-stick on my grill since all my grill tools are metal. I just know from experience I tear up anything with a non-stick surface. It looks cool, but seems like an overly expensive version of what you can do with a $5 wire frame beer can sitter.
          Last edited by Rlasky; July 25, 2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Edit: I have added and removed this cast iron variety http://www.amazon.com/Emeril-All-Cla...emeril+upright from my own Amazon cart many times. A little pricier than yours, but I like the idea of cast iron better. My idea for wanting it is the idea of cut potatoes browning in the drippings from the chicken.

Comment

Personally I like the green egg chicken roasters

Comment

I much prefer a spatchcock chicken to a vertical or "beer can" chicken. See Meathead's article here: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...n_chicken.html. Naked Whiz has a good webpage with a spatchcock recipe: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm .

Comment

• nicklawrence
                  nicklawrence commented
                  Editing a comment
                  100% agreed. I have a vertical chicken holder but after discovering spatchcocked smoked chicken I never bother with it any more.

I usually cook a whole chicken direct on my grill without a sitter at all. Works great, actually, as long as you oil the grill so the chicken skin doesn't stick. I'm not a big fan of sitters ... I have one and when I take the darn thing off the grill, the chicken is top heavy and tends to cause the whole thing to fall over as I try to take it inside. Personal observation and preference here.

Comment

I've done both... spatchcock is the best method.

Comment

I agree with bocefuss and second the spatchcock method.

Comment

I own a 6408. Used it once. Haven't bothered since. Want mine? What do I do instead? Infrared, of course. On a Weber kettle. Using Thunderdome's Vortex. They're $30 each. I got mine at Mad Hunky Meats. Go to the item description. You can download the User Guide there. It shows the multiple ways the Vortex can be used (Direct, Indirect, Indirect/Direct and Infrared). Best $30 I ever spent on a grilling accessory. I also have a Smokenator that I never use anymore, since I got this great device. Want water? Set an 8" pie tin in the center when cooking indirect. Fill it with water or use it as a drip pan or ???
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Vortex Infrared 1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	5492

Name:	Vortex Infrared 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	5494

Name:	Vortex Infrared 3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	5496

Name:	Vortex Infrared 4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	5497
                      Attached Files
                      Mad Hunky Meats

Comment

Thanks everyone. I ended up purchasing one, because it was on sale. It worked ok, but I think I'm going to try spatchcock going forward.

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hard to beat a spatchcocked & smoked chicken, my favorite way hands down.

• _Keith
                          _Keith commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Welp, now I know what we're having for dinner tonight

Oh yeah...

Name:	EB3843F8-2C2A-497D-B1D0-31785FBD6CF4-1198-0000021C9AC7816F_zps1fe8ad4e.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	7817

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here