Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gunter Wilhelm Knives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunter Wilhelm Knives?

Anybody have firsthand experience with these? They are doing a road show at Costco and they have what seems like a nice 12" slicing knife. Website "MSRP" is $139, which I'm sure is a total fallacy. Then they have their "Online Direct Discount Price" of $99.95. Then there's the sale price of $64.99. At Costco, through Wednesday it's $40.

Website says they are made from German X50CrMoV15 High Carbon No-Stain Steel from Thyssen Krupp, and the manufacturing process is done in China.

This would be great for my briskets/corned beef and for bacon - those things that a long knife would be easier.

I've seen them, but I wouldn't give up my Shuns for them. Do you like how it feels? Is it thin? Thin is better for a slicer. At least with Coscto you can return it if you don't like it.

Comment

As a long time line dog(35+years), it's my experience that, to a point, you get what you pay for. Find a restaurant supply dealer near you, or on the web, and just get a decent knife. You don't necessarily need a Henckel or whatever. For most gifted amateur use, the mid-priced knives will do you well. At the restaurant,we have Dexters that have been sharpened so many times that the blade is only ½ of its original depth, but they still slice very well. Your knife is merely a tool, YOU are what makes your food what it is. If a high-end knife gives you pleasure that helps your cooking, then go for it. I hope this helps...

Comment

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        As an addendum, I haven't seen the knives you describe, but most retail store knives, in my experience, are overpriced. While I have purchased some good stuff from Costco, in many cases, I found later that I could have bought an equal or better product with more searching.

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a few Wilkinson knives that I purchased as a set with built in sharpeners in each knife holder from Service Merchandise 20+ years ago. 1 or 2 knives have "disappeared", and the holders are long gone. Still work great! Paid maybe $100.00 for the set. The 8" Chef's knife is the work horse for cutting up most anything, including Boston Butts and Chuck Roasts for the grinder. Use it for paper thin cutting for Philly Cheese Steaks!

Also a Wusthof Classic 8" chef. ( I think I paid $99, but better deals can probably be found ). This knife is reserved for slicing the dinner meats. And yes, it slices quite well.

I keep my knives pretty sharp, which is obviously important for cutting ease and precision. I use a Gatco knife sharpening kit.

One thing that reviews point out is how comfortable the knife feels in your hand after you been slicing and dicing for a period of time. Certain handle designs tend to become uncomfortable after awhile.

Strat50 has way, way, waaayyyyyy more experience than I.

HTH!

--Ed
        Last edited by Medusa; December 10, 2014, 03:18 AM.

Well, since I've got a 14 lb whole packer to do next week for a group gathering, I'll keep ooking around for a 10 or 12" slicer. Any recommendations for an online restaurant supply store that sells to the public?

Comment

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        Try finding someone local. The better local restaurant suppliers, in my experience, sell to the public as well. The same applies to butcher supply places. If you buy locally, you can put your hands on the knife to get a feel for it. If going local is not possible, then Amazon is a good resource. I get some good stuff there. I also use our local restaurant supply places when I'm in Anchorage(I live in the Matanuska Valley), as well as the local butcher supply(ours speaks bbq very well).

And I'm the guy that uses a set of cheap plastic handled steak, buthcer & kitchen knives I got from Walmart in 2002 as a wedding gift. Lol. I like to think my slicing and dicing skills would be out of this world if I actually used 'good' knives.

Comment

The Gunter Wilhelm road show is back at Costco. I had been wanting to upgrade from my family's dull knives that we bought 20 years ago without spending a small fortune so I bought GW's 10 piece set for around $260 incl. tax. I know these aren't top of the line or highly touted knives but they are made with German steel & come with a lifetime warranty & Costco's forever return policy. Hopefully these knives will meet my needs.

Comment

So last time this subject came up (that I was aware of) someone (I think @Strat50) advised NOT to try and shop for an entire set - go knife by knife and get what specifically you like no matter the brand. We have a JA Henkels Mikado set we like (at least most of the knives, anyway), but I have also purchased other Nakiri (my favorite knife for everything) knives. The Shun got good reviews, but you can always find something with a lesser name, but just as good, or better, quality.

Take this one for example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...L5XPPOLL42OFDF. Cheap compared to the others, but got excellent reviews. Here are others: http://pickmyknife.com/best-nakiri-knives/.

On past threads I have suggested to use a Ka-Bar, but I have yet to try it. I think we were talking about using one of those 12" Old Hickory butcher's knives at the time.

Anyway - I like Strat's (or whomever's) advice for collecting a hodge-podge of things you will actually use vs a set where you may only really use 1 or 2 knifes. Same goes for cookware IMHO. Why spend $300 for a set of knives that you like and use only a couple of when you can spend $50+ for a knife you love and can't live without?
          Last edited by HC in SC; November 21, 2015, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here