Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Managment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Managment

I seem to be taking my smoker on the road quite a bit so I started to organize my accessories in a travel bag. I'm just trying to get some ideas to as to a good way to keep everything together.

Is anyone else doing this? Any thought?

Last edited by Jon Solberg; July 21, 2014, 10:24 AM.

​Here's a quick look at my current direction but it definitely needs improvement so I dont leave stuff behind.

Comment

Let me try it this way... How do you manage your gear in general? Not necessarily to be moble

Comment

I have a tray from an old toolbox that holds most of the smaller stuff like thermometers, lighters, gloves, etc. I just grab it when I'm heading to the cookers.

The larger stuff is more problematic. Some is in the shed, some is in the kitchen, some is in the pantry, some is in the washroom, ...

Comment

I need to adopt a toolbox. My scrapers are under my smoker on the bottom shelf. My Mavericks stay outside on the smoker's shelf, sometimes I wrap the wires up neatly, most times I don't. I just clean the probes before each cook. The remote receivers & lighter stay in a drawer inside the kitchen. My empty kingsford bags stay rolled up outside under my smoker or under my prep table somewhat out of the rain. (I use them for lighting the chimney). My wood pile is way the heck over there, the other side of the yard. Which is dumb. It should be right beside my smoker, to give that authentic look.

Comment

I keep most everything in a workbench in my garage. I inherited it from work when we upgraded our setup there. It has a pegboard back, which I hang most of the tools from ( tongs, spatulas, forks, mops, etc. ). It has two shallow drawers I have my thermometers in, along with some small bowls and lighter cubes. There is a shelf on the bottom where I store all the charcoal and wood. It really works quite well at the moment, but. My problem is also that I have everything there, yet the grills are in the backyard, so I have to shlep a good amount of stuff through the house any time I cook. I have been using one of those Styrofoam coolers you buy for like 5 bucks from the gas station/circle K/7-11 to throw a bunch of stuff in to take to the backyard, but it is annoying for sure. I have looked at some tool bags while at Lowes, trying to get ideas on how to utilize them, but I think most of them are too small. Maybe it's time I put more effort into it.

Comment

I have one of these for all my stuff. Works great. Resin Cabinet

Comment

I have a old grill that will never get used again because I gutted it and I have it next to my smoker and weber grills, it is weather tite and has an easy flip lid. I keep everything in it except my charcoal.

Comment

I have a portable Weber kettle on a stand that folds up so I can roll it on its wheels, kinda like a suitcase with wheels & handle. I bungee the top to the stand & stash the grill brush and wood chips inside. I have clear Rubbermaid rectangular totes that are stack-able. Charcoal, chimney, starter blocks, etc... the dirty stuff into one tub. Spices, paper products, foil, BBQ rags, cutting knives, cooking utensils, foil serving dishes into another. Food products not needing refrigeration into re-usable grocery bags. Coolers dedicated to food and adult beverages. I take the gear on the road mostly for tailgating or holidays when I'm traveling somewhere else.

Comment

I've got something similar to PB from Amazon. Tools, gloves, paper towels, oil mister, smoker grates I'm not using, etc. Everything fits and it's kept out the bugs, though I'm still not ready to put any spices, etc. out there.

Comment

Same as The Burn and Pit Boss. I have a resin upright cabinet from the Home Despot. Put a couple of plywood shelves in it. I keep the spa/pool chemicals on the bottom and the BBQ tools on the shelves. Keeps them dry, in one place and a few steps from the cooking area. I don't keep any spices or other edibles out there, I prefer to keep them in the food-prep area (kitchen).

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
                        My empty kingsford bags stay rolled up outside under my smoker or under my prep table somewhat out of the rain. (I use them for lighting the chimney).
                        ::FACEPALM:: I cannot believe I never thought about using the empty bags to light the chimney. D'oh! I don't get the newspaper at home, so I've been using paper towels sprayed with a little cooking oil.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                          Jon Solberg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          DITTO It is simple BRILLIANCE right?

• The Burn
                          The Burn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I don't get the newspaper either and was wondering what i was going to stuff into the chimney when I buy my OTG

• Papa Bob
                          Papa Bob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have been using a chimney starter for 15 years or more countless bags of Kingsford and never thought of it either (what a buckethead I feel like right now) thanks Huskee

At home I have a cabinet to myself, so it all goes in there. For travel, mine is very similar to your bag except I have a waterproof box for my electronics (don't forget batteries) and I carry dryer lint for fires which I learned in the military. Dryer lint weighs next to nothing, compresses a ton, if free, and lights up like nothing else. I keep a ziploc full of it in my jeep in case I ever need a fire, there is probably enough in that one bag for starting off 50 fires.

Comment

• Papa Bob
                          Papa Bob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          dryer lint YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING what you can learn on a BBQ site

Dryer lint! Awesome idea! You' reright, it compresses a ton. I remember watching an episode of Survivroman and he rubbed his sock to get lint and it lit up with just a spark from his dead lighter. Good stuff.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                          Jon Solberg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ahhh yeah the prison match episode. Les is cool.

A plastic tote from Wally World with smaller totes and or Tupperware containers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here