Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GrillGrates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GrillGrates

Are GrillGrates for gas grills only or is it ok to use them on a Weber Kettle?

GrillGrates are useful on all grills, but we think they have the greatest positive effect on gas grills. MH goes into a lot of detail in this article.

Moving this to the accessories channel.

SBB tell us why your asking the question while we wait for more folks will chime in.

Comment

• SmokinBee BBQ
      SmokinBee BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just considering whether to buy them for my kettle.

I use them on both, it really does a good job of keeping down flareups.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      I use them on both, it really does a good job of keeping down flareups.

A LOT of truth to that statement. I use them on a small Weber Smokey Joe. I dump a bunch of lit briquettes into that dude, put on the grillgrates, and let it go to town. I can go inside to check AR, let whatever is on there roll with the punches.

Best grilling accessory for any pit.

Comment

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Didn't even think about them on a Smokey Joe, that is the perfect idea for a reverse sear I will be doing tonight. Totally forgot about the little guy sitting there but he is the perfect searing machine.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I use mine regularly too. It should be re-named the Seary Joe. Except that's really a dumb name.

I use GGs in my kettle to sear and reduce flare-ups. I also will sometimes lay one or two of them on the coals to cover them and reduce the radiant heat for low and slow cooking. They're very useful in lots of situations.

Comment

I use Grillgrates on my Primo XL and it has made grilling items like Steaks and Hamburgers more fun and with ease! I am able to cook steaks consistently to my prefer preference time and time again. It's a great and worthwhile expense!

Comment

Is there any situation where one would NOT want to use Grill Grates on a gas grill? I just bought a set of 5 and have yet to break them in.

I also got the Grate Griddle, and was slightly disappointed that it came with the two cut edges burred so much that they were dangerous to handle. I emailed the company and the owner said to sand the edges with emery paper. I'll have to get some of that to take care of the problem, but I really think that it should have been done by the manufacturer.

Kathryn

Comment

When doing a reverse sear, is there a difference between taking the steak from the smoker to grill grates vs. from the smoker to a hot frying pan on the stove?

Comment

I use them when doing ribeyes or other fattier cuts of meat. They have saved me more than once.

They do require some maintenance if you use lots of marinades as the holes will clog up and the heat hardens the foreign material.

I have had to break out my framining hammer and a nail set a couple of times to clear the holes again, but no biggie in comparison to saving $9 / lb cowboy ribey steaks!

I have used extensively on my gasser, but also plan to use on the PBC for certian cuts of fatty / well marbled meat.

Comment

Hmmm, HC, I was planning on leaving them on my gasser all the time since mostly I wanted them for leveling out the hot spots. So I guess I should rethink that?

Kathryn

Comment

• HC in SC
                  HC in SC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have been using my gasser as a smoker using the 2 zone method and don't feel the need for them cooking at such low temps. When I do steaks or anything that is going to be at a higher heat, especially a lot of fat, I'll break them out to avoid a flame up. So give them a shot in different scenarios on your grill and see. I would add if the grate that came with your grill is not stainless steel, then you may want to use the GrillGrates all the time. When the cheap-o grates that came with my gasser starts going south with wear and corrosion, I replaced them with stainless steel and it was worth it.

The grates on my grill are stainless steel, so no probs there, HC. In fact after 6 years of hard use they look great. As I said, I was attracted to using the Grill Grates for more even heat distribution.

I used to use my gasser for a smoker but now that I have a PBC, the only thing I smoke on the Summit now is salmon. Everything else on the gasser is straight up grilling.

Thanks for your input!

Kathryn

Comment

• HC in SC
                  HC in SC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Right on! My PBC is on the FedEx truck somewhere between CO and SC - I can't wait to try it. I have gotten really consistent smoking chicken on the gasser with pecan @ 250 for 1.5 hours that my wife has gotten very attached to so I'll probably still use the gasser for that.

For your needs the GGs should work. Again, my only complaint / caveat is that if you do a lot of marinating or basting the holes will clog up and 'cook' to a semi-concrete like substance that will need to be dealt with.

I think you'll like them, especially if you like keeping ribeyes from turning into charcoal with flame ups. You figure a couple of choice steaks saved and it's already paid for itself.
                  Last edited by HC in SC; November 26, 2014, 05:14 AM.

I use grill grates all the time on my Yoder YS 640 pellet grill and did have a problem with soy sauce based marinades making a terrible mess. Than I read Mr. Meatheads review of the
                "US Forge Welding Stainless Steel Wire Brush #00303". If you own Grill-Grates, this is a must have tool! No longer a problem. Matter of fact, I'm getting ready to order a pair for my new PBC. You can't go wrong with Grill-Grates.
                oldsteve

Comment

• HC in SC
                  HC in SC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the tip oldsteve. I have been buying the Weber wire brushes, they are ok, but don't last and are too soft to really knock out the hard, baked on stuff without bending.

I'll be getting one of those US Forge brushes!

Those soy / teriyaki bases marinades do make a mess on the GGs don't they.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here