Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thickest, widest aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thickest, widest aluminum?

When I'm employing the "crutch" with my short ribs, the fairly massive bones make tears in the foil when I'm wrapping them. I need to put bumpers around the edges! What's the thickest, widest foil you guys buy? I've been using the heavy duty 18" wide Reynolds foil. An Amazon search shows an "extra heavy duty" foodservice version, but I'm not sure if that's actually thicker or if it's just marketing-speak. Thanks for your answers in advance!

I use a commercial roll from Sam's. 18" x 500'.....no matter what you get, it will tear. I have to be careful around my brisket edges.

Get some pink butcher paper. It looks brown, but it is called pink. One roll will last you about 400 years.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Great, buy one and then 400 yrs later BAM!, out, gotta buy more.

Ok thanks. And what's the butcher paper for? To wrap the edges?

Comment

No, to wrap totally...it really works great.

Go to 1:40 in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIl...N9UEbc1K-9u0rE

Comment

Another way if you don't care for the butchers paper is to take some foils and double or triple it in small pieces and wrap the sharp spots before you use the large piece of foil to cover it all. It will soften those sharp edges just enough not to tear the outer foil.

Comment

I use Reynolds foil, it's the double roll pack from Sam's Club, labeled "Heavy duty". I have to double layer it since often the first layer will tear from the bones.

Comment

Maybe just be more gentle when you wrap. Use to much foil. Kind of build some impact zones so to speak. Then tighten it up by pressing down away from the puncture point.

Comment

Yup, I'll just be more conscious of the wrap. I currently use a double layer but my problem is that if I make a tiny tear in the first layer, sometimes I end up making that identical tiny tear in the second layer, haha. Sometimes I try to "repair" the tear, but end up making another one in the process. I guess it's just practice.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I know exactly what you mean. I will patch those spots too but like you say it can be a repetitive process.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here