Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char-Broil 22.5" cast iron grates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char-Broil 22.5" cast iron grates

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this since it's pretty regional (California), but I've visited a couple Orchard Supply Hardware stores and they've been selling the Char-Broil cast iron grates for cheap. Seems to be in-store only, not online. I bought one for $11.25 (priced at $52.71 on Amazon). It's a nice, cheap upgrade from the regular steel Weber grates.

Thats a steal eugenek!

Comment

We prefer Weber's nickel plated rod grates. Cast iron grates are good at producing sear marks with intense conductive heat, but bad at creating an even brown crust for the same reason. Read more here: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...ll_grates.html

Comment

Max, thanks for the link—really interesting stuff to think about! I'll be honest and say I haven't even tried to cook steak on the kettle to worry about grill marks. When I place my ribs on the grates, they're almost always bone down so it's usually the bone and meat around the edges making contact. The only time the meat side touches is when I've got it in my foil package which lasts for about an hour. My main understanding for using cast iron grates is for it's heat retention properties which could transfer heat as a consistent secondary source during the long cook. But that's just me trying to make sense of it all and I might be way off. I'm sure some more experimentation and experience will help me with understand better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here