Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slippery GrillGrates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slippery GrillGrates

Bought a set of two interlocking grill grates. In search of a technique to hold them down so they don't slip.

Thanks in advance for your ideas - they are much appreciated.

When joined properly, I haven't had a problem with slipping. They sometimes move a little on me but not enough to be an issue. Are you just cooking with lot's of emotion? (Not that that's a bad thing).

Comment

Like Max, they work for me fine just the way they are. I just tongs to hold down whichever grate I'm scrubbing, which is only time I really have a problem with slippages. After a little use your GGs will get a little carbon buildup in the interlocking channels and they'll be harder to slip apart.

Comment

If you're talking about keeping the 2 GrillGrates from moving on top of the existing grate you've set them on, I'd use some wire that can take temp and use the holes in the GrillGrates to attach them to the existing grate (upper left and lower left of the left-most GG, and upper right and lower right for the right-most GG).

When I used them like that on top of an existing grate, as on my old Traeger 125, they eventually built up enough "gunk" on the bottom surface to give them some tackiness. Plus, with 6 linked together, they stayed put a little better than just a couple (I started with 3, liked the performance, bought 3 more and ran 6 across the existing grate).

Comment

• Doc Smoke J.Y.D.
          Doc Smoke J.Y.D. commented
          Editing a comment
          Great suggestion: Thanks!

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure about this technique. It sounds like you would get a lot of built up gunk between the grates, which could go rancid. Plus that gunk will burn during cooks and taint the flavor of the food.

• Ozric
          Ozric commented
          Editing a comment
          Not saying that I wouldn't clean them from time to time...'cause I would.

I cleaned them once in my indoor oven set to Self-Clean. That worked GREAT.

Except for the unintended consequences. The smoke that came billowing out of the oven was impressive. Good thing I had my builder put in a vented hood! The other was the inside of the over has never looked the same. Meh. But those GrillGrates were gunkless!

I use some little metal ties myself. I'm not sure what these guys have on theirs, but i'm pretty sure mine have this on them.

Comment

Too funny! I just hold mine down with a pair of tongs while scrubbing. Works well enough. I don't use mine every cook, though, so the slipperiness isn't as big of a deal to me.

Comment

What do you not use your GrillGrates for, Dave? My order for them was just delivered a couple of days ago, so I have yet to give them a try.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here