Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mandoline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandoline?

Lots of them out there. Americas Test Kitchen likes Swissmar- Borner V slicer. I had a Pampered Chef that I gave away to a friend that likes it but it wasn't good for me.

What are you slicing on?

Tought Cooks liked the OXO which is what I got. Works well. But get a safety glove for protecting yourself, they are dangerous. I have one made by Tucker.

Comment

Jon, i have an ONEIDA that i am extremely happy with and have had for a number of years. i believe it came from Target. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493[1].JPG
Views:	115
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	22421 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1495[1].JPG
Views:	125
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	22420
      Attached Files

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        This thing looks well built

I bought the blue one first but it wasn't big enough. then I got the jumbo.

Comment

Benriner Wide-Body Large Slicer?

I was literally just looking at these

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I love them both dearly.

If by mandoline slicer you mean the slicing side of a 4 dollar box grater then yes, I have one. I had one but it wasn't adjustable so...I got another that wasn't adjustable...

Comment

I do everything in my power to avoid using a mandoline, primarily because chunks of my fingers have wound up in too many salads. I have yet to find anything it can do that I can't do as quickly with a sharp knife or my french fry cutter.

Comment

I hear ya Keith. I'm just looking for that consistence. Sometimes my knife skills are a bit like my typing skills.

Comment

Pampered Chef makes two of them. I have had them both and the more expensive one is safer but doesn't work worth a toot. The inexpensive one is great but, dangerous like all mandolin slicers. I have had a couple of dum moments with mine and have paid the price like Keith but there is no substitute for a good mandolin slicer. I have the Pamp Chef inexpensive one. The blade is not replaceable and mine is over a year old and a lot of use and it is time to get another one.

Comment

I can't cut paper thin slices of potato with a knife for potato chips, or red radishes.
                They come in handy when slicing brisket or thin slices of chicken breast for sammiches.

Comment

I really like the OXO Good Grips Mandoline slicer. It seems to be a little safer then the restaurant quality ones I have nearly taken my fingers off in the past with. If you are really worried about your hands, you can always use a protection glove. I've used one in the past and find it to be a really good investment. Rather spend $15 on a glove, than have trip to the ER!

Comment

• _Keith
                    _Keith commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Amazon link? Given my wife's tendency to put a bit too much of herself into her cooking, I might get her a pair to use with our knives.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here