Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What nifty tricks, tips and gadgets do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love this dish brush http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips...ords=oxo+brush for cleaning my perforated grill pans.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      Try this... got mine from Amazon. This is an item where the price keeps going up over the years. Best Gadget for Garlic

November 30th, 2014, 02:46 PM

You need this... better than a garlic press ( and alot easier to clean ). Will handle up to 8 cloves. Made in the USA.
      It's called a Garlic Twist, and you can easily find it on Amazon. Price has steadily risen over the last few years. Virtually indestructible ( unless you put in on a turkey and put the turkey in the oven - won't explode, tho ). Have had mine for 2 years.

Click the link below to see an image.

--Ed
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n36014[/ATTACH]
      Hi Kathyrn,

You still need to peel the garlic before you put it into the twist. The neat thing is to line the teeth up as a "cross" to easily clear out all of the minced garlic. You can also control the level of "minceness" between chopped and fine.

This is a good kitchen tool.

-- Ed

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a bunch, Ed! I'm going to try it!

K.

I get a bunch of emails from readers asking for specific product recommendations for everything from toasters and ice cream scoops to major appliances like stoves and dishwashers. Although my kitchen is well-equipped, I am certainly not the end all be all in this arena. However, I thought is would be fun to introduce a new series to My Baking Addiction called Essentials. Basically, I will feature many of the products that I use daily in my kitchen.

For the first Essentials post, I thought I would introduce you to a zester also referred to in the culinary world as a Microplane or a rasp. A zester is essentially a tool that allows you to remove the zest from citrus.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 24, 2020, 11:57 PM. Reason: Outside website link removed.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Are ya gonna have one on Spam?

Two of my favorite kitchen "gadgets" are from Tupperware.

The Season-Serve Container is awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	140ED466-AA19-40ED-9196-7E5A5266C9B0.png
Views:	278
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	944963

I use it for marinating pork chops, chicken, london broil, chuck roasts, pork butts.

Ill use it to store things I prep before I go to grill/smoke them like burgers, bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos, pig shots.

I will also us it to store things I make after I am done cooking them like a big batch of meatballs, larger quantities of roasted vegetables oven roasted potatoes.

I have two of them. I try to use the one for raw meats and the other one for anything else.

The other Tupperware gadget I love is their Quick Shake Container.

Name:	F9BDD1B4-4BF2-4856-AE30-7B29A72ABE75.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	944962

It is the best for making marinades, salad dressings, jello, thickening mixtures, mixed drinks and instant breakfast drinks.

I own three of them. I believe Tupperware has changed its design and it is now a piece of junk. If you can get yourself one of the older design I would suggest it.
      Last edited by ssandy_561; November 25, 2020, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the Season-Serve, and use it frequently. It’s a good item. Mrs Mosca had to buy something at a Tupperware party, and made a good choice!

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        I have two of those season serve containers, one is larger than the other. They are terrific.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Do they still sell those? I have both the marinade container and the shaker bottle. They're so old they have that gummy feel. Supposedly soaking them in Citrus-Solv, gets rid of that. On my to-do list. At the bottom.

Kathryn

For "gadgets" I'd say the non-standard thing I use the most is reCap tops for mason jars.

Name:	Screenshot_2020-11-25 Amazon com reCAP Mason Jars Lid POUR Cap, Wide Mouth, Silver – 4 Pack - BPA-Free, American Made Ball [...].png
Views:	282
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	944975
      Use it for dressings, marinades, etc. There are other brands selling similar but I've found that recap has the best seal/fit. The recap seals well and you can really shake a dressing.

For tips I'd say buying from restaurant supply stores. I buy storage containers, tubs, tongs, cutting boards and towels from Webstaurant. Wire racks for storage and stainless steel tables for outdoor work surfaces are also "affordable".

Examples:We freeze sauces, stocks etc in the deli containers. Ones that have seen some wear and tear and getting old get sent home with guests with leftovers in them.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Restaurant supply stores are a great source for well priced doo-dads.

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am going to get some of those lids!

We got a new kitchen stove a couple months ago i kept the the top burner grates to set hot stuff on when it comes off the fire or out of the smoker

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        I did the same thing when I got a new kitchen stove.

I haven't tried these out yet and never have seen them until today. Instead of putting your meat on a rack in a pan, these can be used instead. Not sure if these will work as advertised, but just might in medium to smaller sized cuts of meat. If they do, they will eliminate needing to scrub a rack clean after it's been baking several hours.... Click image for larger version

Name:	legs1.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	945132Click image for larger version

Name:	legs2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	945133

Comment

• Maxriptin
        Maxriptin commented
        Editing a comment
        How did they not name these meat feet!?

I got one of this manual, crank blower for my offset. Before when I added a new log to the fire, I had to stick my face close to the firebox and blow to get the wood to catch. This works great and saves me from inhaling smoke.

Comment

It only took me about 18 years, but I finally realized something obvious. I usually pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts to a more uniform thickness. Even when I cover them with plastic wrap, it's often like the shower scene from Psycho. Today I finally realized that if I left them in the vacuum-sealed bag, the thicker, hermetically sealed bag would contain the carnage. And lo and behold, it worked like a charm. I pounded them in the vacuum-sealed bag and, then cut the bag open and put them right on the grill.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          🤜 🔨

Well the best tools/gadgets I have are hand me down Larding and Barding irons. These puppies are old school. Here is a video of a cheap Larding Needle. Works extremely well on lean cuts of meat by introducing fat and/or vegetables.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey tiewunon How’s your rehab coming? Saw your post thought I’d check and see how you’re doing.

• tiewunon
          tiewunon commented
          Editing a comment
          @PanheadJohn finally got all the sutures and staples out this past Thursday. Still slingbound for another 3 weeks. Physical Therapy is going well according to the staff. Really only mild pain I have is in the bicep and scapula both involved in the surgery. Additionally my collar bone not part of surgery sings all day most likely from position of arm in the sling. Overall I would say doing a 9 outta 10.

This garlic peeler is a CHAMP! https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Silicone-.../dp/B0002YTFV4

Super easy, super fast. Just be sure to blow/shake out skins that might remain in the tube after every few cloves.
        Last edited by Willy; February 1, 2021, 02:36 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here