Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What nifty tricks, tips and gadgets do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What nifty tricks, tips and gadgets do you have?

I usually drape a few slices of bacon over ("through") the grill when smoking. Makes nice, crisp, very smoky bacon for use in beans, side dishes, and other bacon bit uses. Jazz up them collards, baby!

I clean my spice grinder (an old $20 Krups bladed coffee bean grinder) by wiping it clean with paper towel, then grinding a tsp or two of salt, which takes away pretty much all of the other spice residue. Use the salt in whatever recipe you are using the ground spices for. Wipe the grinder clean again with a dampened paper towel. ETA: perhaps better would be a bit of rice--less corrosive than salt.

A rasp style grater is a wonderful and indispensable tool--grates everything from nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon to finely grating cheeses like parm.

A heat tamer is a really nice thing for very low and slow simmering applications (http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Ta.../dp/B00004W4UJ).

Save old Grolsch beer bottles (with the flip top ceramic stopper) for salad dressings, home made condiments, and such. Much cheaper than store bought equivalent and they come full of beer! Win-Win. ETA: try to find Grolsh that hasn't been exposed to light (still in the back room storage cooler in its cardboard case). Light gives Grolsch, and other beers in green or clear bottles, that skunky taste.

We spent "the big bucks" and bought Le Creuset enameled cast iron dutch ovens years ago. Fantabulous!

An electric ice cream maker--the kind with a "freezing/mixing" bowl that is stored in the freezer is an easy, quick way to make ice cream. Ours is a $50 Cuisinart model. Adding a tablespoon of two of alcohol (vodka, liqueurs) during mixing makes ice cream a bit easier to scoop.

For mis en place, rather than use little bowls that need to be washed, I use el cheapo paper plates.

There's probably more that I'm not thinking of, but I'm anxious to hear your ideas.

Last edited by Willy; February 1, 2021, 02:29 PM.

I say you must drill at least 2 holes in every grill/smoker you have that is worth over $80 but less than $200.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      heck man, I drilled holes in my Hasty-Bake

For you Stickburners, I've found a MUST HAVE, the KindlingCracker.com. Unless you are cooking on a 500+ gallon smoker, then some logs are just too big to put on and keep your temps 275 and below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1433037858.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	140701

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      You'll love it CandySueQ

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Camping too. camp fire does that count as a stick burner?
      PBR pairs well with camp fire.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I have both sizes Kindlin Cracker, an several useful hand sledges.

bbqLuv Yup campfire=stickburner!

Torch to light your charcoal. And a BBQ Dragon ($40) to get it really hot. I used to use a balloon animal pump ($8) but I got tired of pumping manually!

My next trick is to have a newborn in May, so if I'm going to stay up all night anyway, might as well make brisket!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't bbq when we had babies. Love the cross-pollination of the two!

The DigiQDX2 installed on my PBC is the niftiest gadget I have. It does a great job of controlling temperatures during a cook.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed!

I have a large BGE and consider the DigiQ Dx2 the absolute most valuable accessory I've ever bought.

It makes my large BGE a set it and forget it cooker.

This is very handy:
    Amazon.com: Norpro Stainless Steel Onion Holder: Cutting Boards: Home & Kitchen

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Pampered Chef has a similar tool. I have really considered this tool compared to all of the other neato cool and expensive stuff you can spend $$$ on ...

-- Ed

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I use it to pierce chicken skin mainly. Seems to help with texture.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea for piercing chicken skin! Yep, I can see many, many uses! Skip the fork!

I need this..., I need this...
      Last edited by Medusa; February 12, 2016, 04:43 PM.

My handy dandy meat hook is a nice accessory...😎

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Where did you get this?

Thanks, -- Ed

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Medusa ...

Most BBQ stores stock them or you can order 1 online through AR at Amazon.

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a lefty version of this specially made for me. Works great on some cooks. Tongs better for others.

Grill Grates are very handy too.

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      I love my GG's. Actually packed them up and took them on a road-trip for Disney Land vacation!

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Grill Grates work on my pellet grill.

use those to put under my weber charcoal chimney to get coals started instead of newspaper (with all the ash). I usually get 5-10 starts per can depending on how quickly i remember to go back outside and move it once the fire has started! Learned from Harry Soo's class

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Sterno. yep takes me back to younger days.

Try this... got mine from Amazon. This is an item where the price keeps going up over the years. Best Gadget for Garlic

November 30th, 2014, 02:46 PM

You need this... better than a garlic press ( and alot easier to clean ). Will handle up to 8 cloves. Made in the USA.
    It's called a Garlic Twist, and you can easily find it on Amazon. Price has steadily risen over the last few years. Virtually indestructible ( unless you put in on a turkey and put the turkey in the oven - won't explode, tho ). Have had mine for 2 years.

Click the link below to see an image.

--Ed
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n36014[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a neat gadget. Have you tried grating your garlic on a microplane zester? Works like a charm.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Microplane... cool idea!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Guest , you don't use the device to peel the garlic too, do you? Or do you? If it does it all at the same time, doesn't the garlic skin get mixed in the mashed garlic? Or do you just put peeled cloves in and twist away? (The ad says it "peels and minces" garlic.)

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 13, 2016, 07:46 AM.

Name:	Spring_Clip_Strainer.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	140871 This might be useful. "Hands-free straining operation" - LOL!
    -- Ed

Thanks for the great responses! Truly a lifesaver when it comes to this recipe and other things that require straining massive amounts of goodies.

Homemade Beef Enchiladas! Sauce is in the bowl - skip that store-bought stuff!

Name:	HM_Beef_Enchiladas.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	141061

No Couch Tonite!

Name:	HM_Enchiladas_Done.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	141069
    Last edited by Medusa; February 12, 2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, I love the fusion of shop tools and cooking!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Kewl idea, Medusa !

My wife got me pair of these Steven Raichlen gloves this past Christmas from Amazon. These things are definitely a must have for working around a grill or smoker! The picture is from Amazon, but it gives you an idea of how far up the arms they go.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      How nice of Steven Raichlen to endorse welders gloves. LOL! At least they kept the cost competitive with the local farm supply store. VBG!

DJ DeSpain ...

Gloves are a good idea. I don't always do what I should.☹
    Attached Files

Comment

If you cook on a ceramic cooker these folks have some great add ons http://ceramicgrillstore.com/ I like their Woo which raises the grill to the felt line, serves as holder for the plate setter for easy removal when hot reverse sear.

Comment

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Good web site too bad I am in a different country.

When I first got my Akorn I knew from the first dry run I had a lot of air leaks. I reasoned that if air can come through the gaps, then light would leak out just as well. I placed a 500 Watt Halogen Work light in the center of the Akorn with the light pointed up. I turned on the light and closed the lid. I closed the garage door and was 'rewarded' with a light show. Worked out pretty good overall.

Comment

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        Smarht!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here