Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What nifty tricks, tips and gadgets do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CandySueQ
    commented on 's reply
    They are out of backorder on Northern Tool! Got mine yesterday.

• BigBear
    replied
    The DigiQDX2 installed on my PBC is the niftiest gadget I have. It does a great job of controlling temperatures during a cook.

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    I didn't bbq when we had babies. Love the cross-pollination of the two!

• scottranda
    replied
    Torch to light your charcoal. And a BBQ Dragon ($40) to get it really hot. I used to use a balloon animal pump ($8) but I got tired of pumping manually!

My next trick is to have a newborn in May, so if I'm going to stay up all night anyway, might as well make brisket!

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    For you Stickburners, I've found a MUST HAVE, the KindlingCracker.com. Unless you are cooking on a 500+ gallon smoker, then some logs are just too big to put on and keep your temps 275 and below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1433037858.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	140701

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I say you must drill at least 2 holes in every grill/smoker you have that is worth over $80 but less than $200.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    started a topic What nifty tricks, tips and gadgets do you have?

What nifty tricks, tips and gadgets do you have?

I usually drape a few slices of bacon over ("through") the grill when smoking. Makes nice, crisp, very smoky bacon for use in beans, side dishes, and other bacon bit uses. Jazz up them collards, baby!

I clean my spice grinder (an old $20 Krups bladed coffee bean grinder) by wiping it clean with paper towel, then grinding a tsp or two of salt, which takes away pretty much all of the other spice residue. Use the salt in whatever recipe you are using the ground spices for. Wipe the grinder clean again with a dampened paper towel. ETA: perhaps better would be a bit of rice--less corrosive than salt.

A rasp style grater is a wonderful and indispensable tool--grates everything from nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon to finely grating cheeses like parm.

A heat tamer is a really nice thing for very low and slow simmering applications (http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Ta.../dp/B00004W4UJ).

Save old Grolsch beer bottles (with the flip top ceramic stopper) for salad dressings, home made condiments, and such. Much cheaper than store bought equivalent and they come full of beer! Win-Win. ETA: try to find Grolsh that hasn't been exposed to light (still in the back room storage cooler in its cardboard case). Light gives Grolsch, and other beers in green or clear bottles, that skunky taste.

We spent "the big bucks" and bought Le Creuset enameled cast iron dutch ovens years ago. Fantabulous!

An electric ice cream maker--the kind with a "freezing/mixing" bowl that is stored in the freezer is an easy, quick way to make ice cream. Ours is a $50 Cuisinart model. Adding a tablespoon of two of alcohol (vodka, liqueurs) during mixing makes ice cream a bit easier to scoop.

For mis en place, rather than use little bowls that need to be washed, I use el cheapo paper plates.

There's probably more that I'm not thinking of, but I'm anxious to hear your ideas.

Last edited by Willy; February 1, 2021, 02:29 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here