Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dewalt hand held area light for grilling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dewalt hand held area light for grilling?

I am wondering if anyone here is using this Dewalt light for grilling: https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcl05...ight-tool-only .

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCL050_2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1391004

It's more of a flood light than the Dewalt light I already have. I'm just wondering if it would be bright enough. It could be handy for other stuff as well. Would just need to figure out how to mout/hang/whatever it. I'd be using for my Weber kettles and my pellet grill.

1000 lumens is about 75 watts, so it should be bright enough, but it's almost $70, and ya still have to buy a battery.

Comment

• IdahoJim
      IdahoJim commented
      Editing a comment
      I already have a few Dewalt tools and a few batteries, so the battery is not an issue.

• PNWsmoke
      PNWsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      yea I just want one as I have a few batteries.

I have this one for my SNS kettle, it has magnets on the bottom of the tubes which makes it stick to my side shelf. Or you can unscrew one side to clamp it onto something. If you need a side shelf for your kettle, they make a few removable shelves that just hang off the lip of one side of the kettle. I like my light and I believe they work on 2 AA batteries.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5653D230-213C-4DE9-BC74-8FAC7F5AF0D1.png Views:	39 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	1391022
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 13, 2023, 02:36 PM. Reason: Because @RonB is a dummy…..😂

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB CL

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      And was that a courtesy revision to the above text?

• RichardK
      RichardK commented
      Editing a comment
      I also have one of these lights. Works fine. Bright enough for use in grilling or smoking. The magnet is strong enough to keep the light in place while working. Because I knocked it off the table, I now clamp it, which helps with one handed aiming of the light.

No, but I probably would if I had that instead of these. But I do like these.

Name:	71KvZ2o6bDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1391030

Comment

I have also been thinking of using this light. Anyone using this?

Name:	DCL077B_1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1391065

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcl07...ght?tid=577766

Comment

IdahoJim I own the first light you posted. It’s is bright. You can turn it on full power then if you click the switch again it dims it by about half. It’s adjustable so you can pivot the light 90°. When I bought mine it was half off. I do not use mine to grill since I have string lights on my deck above my grill.

Comment

• IdahoJim
          IdahoJim commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't mind some string lights out where I put the grills, but I am very limited on electrical outlets on my patio. I'm not ready to pay an electrician to add more.

IdahoJim You may already have these, but if not, you might consider these for your patio to add outlets. I’ve got a few and they work great, also double as a surge protector. It’ll take a standard 2 outlet plug and give you 6.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C3204997-FD24-488D-AE22-714A0991D5B5.png Views:	0 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	1391076

Comment

• IdahoJim
          IdahoJim commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a single duplex outlet in a recessed box with an "in use" cover. The outlet is near the corner of the patio so it needs weather protection. Something like this won't fit.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah thats not for outdoor use.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Wasn’t sure if the patio was covered or not.

I use a Ryobi battery powered tripod style work light on occasion, as several of my grills are in bad spots, and I've been too lazy to deal with adding floods or other lights for grilling. It works very well. The Dewalt tripod lights are stupid expensive though, so I can see staying with the handheld and just sitting it on a side table while using the grill. If you are open to other brands, there are some nice tripod work lights that are battery or AC powered. My Ryobi uses their 18V battery packs, OR an extension cord. The nice thing with the tripod ones is you can put them at a better height to shine down on the grill(s) than the handheld.

Another option that you could think about might be some type of solar/battery mountable LED flood to put in the area you grill in.

Comment

• IdahoJim
          IdahoJim commented
          Editing a comment
          @jfmorris: "The Dewalt tripod lights are stupid expensive though". Tell me about it...

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the Milwaukee version and love it. Though $$$$.

I have and use the light you are talking about. I use it in winter for grilling and for all kinds of other things. I have several dewalt 20v tools, so bought the tool only version from Amazon or CPO for around $50 if I recall correctly. If you have any of the 4-6 ah batteries it’s better as you can use it more positions without it falling over.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          IdahoJim I think it’s plenty bright. Also, I don’t hang mine for grilling, I set it on one of my side or front shelves.

How about a good quality headlamp? Bright, light hits what you are looking at, and hands free.

Comment

Headlamp is the way to go for me. Anything I can do to keep things off my BBQ table. I end up knocking too many things over, the more clutter I have.

Comment

I have a pretty good head lamp. Last time I used it it just didn't seem bright enough. Maybe I need to put new batteries in it. I'm not a huge fan of the look though. I look like enough of a dork when I cook without adding to it with the head lamp.

Comment

Headlamps work. I use one up at camp.

Comment

I have flood lights at my back door, one of which aims right at my BBQ area. But they are motion activated and go off after 3 minutes. So, if I'm out there longer than that in the dark, I have to do a crazy jig to get the motion sensor to activate. Other than that, it works great.

Comment

• PNWsmoke
                  PNWsmoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same except regular led flood lights.

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you have any video of your crazy jig? We’d love to see it!

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Panhead John Stacy said I have to put clothes on first

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here