Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torches and Searzall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torches and Searzall

Considering both of these separately, would like to get a good torch set up, and consider adding the searsall, is the searsall a gimmick, or does it really do a pretty decent job? I would want it for just finishing touches. Torch would be used for lighting.

They these....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	350
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1378868Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	338
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1378869​​

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh..............a searzalll

IMHO, all you need is the Benzomatic TS8000. Burns really hot and it doubles as a starter for all of your charcoal needs. Also, works well around the bonfire pit, camping etc.

It runs on propane or MAP.

Name:	Bernzomatic_TS8000_torch_01.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1378885

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Added to my "wish" list. My last benzomatic torch head broke when the cylinder it was screwed onto fell 6 feet from a shelf to the garage floor, snapping the torch head off. Somehow I've made it years without one because I've not needed to sweat copper pipes or other such things in a long long time.

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      I made Creme Brûlée one time some years ago...My plumbing torch is very similar but older. My guests were freaking out that I would use a plumbing torch to crisp up the sugar. They eventually came around to the idea as I explained the high temps made everything food safe. My one friend almost wouldn't eat her dessert..We all said, "Fine, more for us." She ate the Creme Brûlée.

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Another consideration is with an easily obtainable hose kit you can refill those 1 pound containers from the propane tank on your gas grill. I bought the hose for $14 dollars if I remember right. The only work involved is turning you fill tank upside down while filling out of it.

Spinaker does Richard Chrz want to be using MAPP gas indoors for searing steaks, or propane? I am thinking MAPP might be better saved for using the torch as a tool or outside, not for a post sous-vide sear indoors, due to the huge difference in flame temperature and the odor of the gas compared to propane.

MAPP burns at 5300F, propane at 3600F.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right that the cylinders are interchangeable. Since I broke my torch head, I used up my last couple of Benzomatic propane cylinders by screwing them into my Weber Performer a few years back. Now I am back to the Coleman canisters. I bought a kit to refill those from a 20 pound tank, but have yet to actually do so...

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      If you turn it on and make sure you have full flame there is zero issue. I use MAPP and nothing else. You just have to be careful, like anytime you are using a torch. It makes for faster searing, especially when you have more things to sear. Never had an issue.

All that being said, the great thing is you can use either. To each their own. I always use MAPP though. Just a personal preference.

• BBQandLove
      BBQandLove commented
      Editing a comment
      You can’t buy MAPP gas anymore. The last remaining plant that made it shut down in 2008. You can only buy substitutes that burn only a little hotter than propane. Usually marketed as MAP Pro or something like that, but I am seeing some marketed as MAPP. I think that’s dishonest. (I still have 3 cylinders of MAPP left from when I was a Master Plumber. I had stocked up.)

I am reading MAPP was discontinued in 2008. ( methyl-acetylene propadiene propane )
    today there is a similar product called MAP-pro. Propane is cheaper n easier to handle.
    MAP-pro is typically for specific soldering and cutting metal. so says gargle.
    MAP-pro would be prefered to sear food since it burns hotter n propane could leave an aftertaste
    Last edited by Alan Brice; February 17, 2023, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      You know what? You are right! I've not bought it in so long I didn't know it was discontinued. What they are selling now, and what Richard likely ordered, is MAP-Pro. Not the same as MAPP at all, and only burns slightly hotter than propane (3730F versus 3600F). Not worth it in my mind to pay 2.5x as much per cylinder for that minimal difference. At Lowe's the propane torch cylinder is $5.98, and the MAP-Pro cylinder is $13.98.

• BBQandLove
      BBQandLove commented
      Editing a comment
      Heads up: I am seeing MAP Pro being labeled as MAPP. Saw some at Homie and got excited that MAPP was back in production, until I looked at the label. I think that’s dishonest.

Richard, I concur 100% with Spinaker 's recommendation for the Bernzomatic TS8000.

On top of that (literally), I also use the SearzAll attachment ... primarily for post-sous vide searing. In my experience, it does a really good job as a sort of hand-held salamander or broiler. Its only downside is that it's a bit slow. I wouldn't want to use it for more than about 4 steaks or 1 roast at a time. As an aside, it's also really good at touching up things like pizza that didn't get quite enough topside char from the grill or smoker.

I've never used just the TS8000 for searing. There are many reports of an off smell from the propane fuel when using just a torch.

Also, I've used only propane with mine for searing ... no MAPP gas (so far).

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Most of the off smells or taste are from not having the flame going fully before hitting the food. If you are getting complete combustion by making sure the flame is totally lit, away from the food first, then hitting the food, you should not have any off smells or taste. You do not want to point he torch at the food, then light it.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - That makes more sense than the many claims I've read that a tightly focussed hot flame is the culprit ... mainly because you should be getting complete combustion with such a flame and I wouldn't expect there to be much in the way of anything that might get deposited on the food. Probably should try it some day.

That said, I do thing that you've got to be pretty careful with said flame to avoid possible off flavors by accidentally burning instead of just searing the food.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, exactly. You certainly have to keep the torch further back while searing. MBMorgan

In addition to the Bernzomatic that’s been mentioned above, I have this

Use a GrillGun to start your charcoal grill and be cooking over charcoal with the aromatic experience, taste and health benefits associated with cooking over natural wood, more quickly than you could be if you were cooking on a gas grill. The GrillGun - High power propane torch, designed to light Charcoal and Wood gr

If you want to sear a large steak or roast you can’t beat this puppy. Did my 14lb NY strip roast at Christmas with it. Came out perfect and only took about 5min to sear the whole thing.

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my...That's crazy...I think the US is delivering those to the Ukrainian Army...That's a serious flame thrower...lol..

Hello! Giving this bump after a while.
    Steve B would you mind discussing the differences between the bernzomatic (do you have a searzall with it?) and the gun? Why would one want both? (aside from the obvious, why have just one, if you can have two!) Also, how finicky (as in, is it idiot-proof enough for this idiot) is the searing process… I have an iwata kitchen torch, and I love it, but one needs near-surgical precision and saint-like patience to not end up with either black spots interspersed with no Maillard, or else… well, one big black spot. But in all the YouTube videos for these guns, it basically looks like folks are shooting up their rib steaks like something off of ghostbusters, and ending up with picture perfect char. Incredible!! Lastly, how’s the taste? Is it really discernibly that far off from other methods?

Thabks in advance!!
    Last edited by MonsterDuckMadness; January 18, 2024, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Too many questions for my brain to comprehend. 😂😂
      I don’t have a searsall for the bernzomatic so I can’t say how they preform. But the grillgun does an excellent job of searing off steaks and full sized roasts.

As long as you don’t turn the gun upside down with the gas on, there is a check valve in it to stop the flow of gas, it’s really easy to use. You can see how the meat is charring as you go along. It won’t give you an instant burn or anything like that.
      Yes. You definitely can and will get an outstanding sear on your steaks.

There is virtually no difference in flavor as it’s basically like searing over a propane grill. But with more control and, I think, better results.

You can also use it for starting a fire, melt ice, burning weeds and more.
      Plus it’s fun to use.

Only negative is it does use a fair amount of fuel.

Hope this helps.
      SteveB

Comment

• MonsterDuckMadness
        MonsterDuckMadness commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, sir! Which do you prefer, the bernzo or the gun? Or do you find each better for different purposes?

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        MonsterDuckMadness I pretty much don’t use the bernzomatic at all except for a spot sear or melting cheese in a pinch.
        If not searing over live fire the gun all day.

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the benzo, searz-all, and Grill Gun. I use the benzo for chicken. The grill gun for beef and hams. Don't use the searz-all anymore (it worked but was slow).

Th benzcmatic is just much more versatile. With the Searzall pretty much all you can do is sear your food. At least with the Benzomatic you are able to use it to start fires, light charcoal, solder, light welding etc.

Comment

You really want the Bernzomatic BZ4500HS torch as opposed to the TS8000. Very similar except the 4500 has a much broader flame for more efficient searing. It's a little more than the TS8000 but worth it. Now defunct SansAire sold this same torch under their brand (and painted white) for searing.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
          Th benzcmatic is just much more versatile...
          Right. What I was really after was how the Bernzo compares to these newer gun-style ones (searpro, Su-V gun, grill gun, etc). And, I guess, how likely I am to turn a tomahawk into a tomapuck, with either type. Thanks!!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Benzomatic all day. Proven durability. Those others are gimmicks, if you ask me. They are just repackaged torches with catchy names. You can burn any food if you are not being careful. I go for durability, ease of use and versatility.

• PGH_RAM
            PGH_RAM commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the Bernz--O-Matic TS8000 using MAP-pro. It's a good tool. Like any heat source, you have to watch distance to flame and time. The first time I used it was for creme brulee. I burned the sugar because I wasn't ready for the amount of heat it put out compared to the tiny butane kitchen torch I had been using. Once I figured out the right distance and flame strength, it's not been a problem. It puts a nice sear on meat, too, and no one in my household has ever complained of an off-taste

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            The bernzomatic has a very small flame area. Maybe an inch or there abouts. The grill gun I have has a flame in the 6” range. Plus the flame reaches way further out than the bernzo.

Here's the flame on the 4500:

Name:	torch1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1540510

Comment

25 bucks on Amazon

Name:	sized.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1540873

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s basically what the grillgun that I have does. But I have the one with a longer handle.

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B - My daughter got this for me for Father's day last year. Literally 1/8 the cost of the GillGun. Undoubtedly lower quality import compared to GrillGun, but works OK so far.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              And it looks like it works quite well John 👍

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here