Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keen Kutter 22 1/2 grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keen Kutter 22 1/2 grinder

I recently found a KeenKutter 22 1/2 grinder at a flea market with all the parts, $6. I brought it home, soaked it in soapy water and white vinegar, and used various wire brush attachments on my drill to remove the dirt and corrosion. Mechanically it works great. However, I have since soaked it again in sanitizer, bleach, scrubbed it with GOJO, then baking soda, and then soaked it in straight white vinegar. Click image for larger version

Name:	8B83A97F-8CC3-4D97-A243-4F7C11A200D0.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	1230844 It still has a rather strong metallic smell which I fear will be imparted to whatever meat I will grind in it. Any suggestions by anyone who has encountered this?

I am afraid all the soaks in bleach, vinegar, etc, are likely responsible for all that. You've basically destroyed the coating that sealed the metal on the grinder. This is what happens with old aluminum pots, and they have to be passivated - i.e. develop a layer of aluminum oxide that serves as a protective coating over the metal. With pots I do this by boiling water in them. There are chemicals that can do it as well. With stainless steel (this does not appear to be stainless) it can be achieved with a paste made from Barkeeper's Friend and water.

I don't know what metal this grinder is made from, but I would try to remove all non-metal parts, and immerse it in boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, to see if that helps, and stop the acid and bleach baths - that is going to make things worse.
    Last edited by jfmorris; June 3, 2022, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Nail head, meet Jim The Hammer.

Great idea, I'll try that!

Comment

I did a little research, and the odds are that this antique grinder is made from cast iron. I don't think the boiling will hurt it at all, and may help get rid of some of the odor that the chemicals caused. I would then consider coating LIGHTLY with oil an baking in the oven to season, just like any other cast iron.

I would recommend NOT using bleach on it, and treat it like you would any other cast iron - maybe wash with mild soap, dry well, and oil after use.

Comment

It definitely is iron - magnets stick to it. It is in the pot now.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Let us know if that helps at all with getting rid of the metallic odor. May still do well with baking in the oven too.

The smell is gone - a BB King song? - but there is a good bit of discoloration, oxidation, rust, already. I’m going to wire brush one piece, an extra fine blade, again and see if the smell returns. If it does I’ll wash it mildly quickly and treat it in the oven and see what happens.

Comment

I recently discovered Fluid Film. https://www.fluidfilm.co.za/ It is terrific on my outdoor stuff. I wonder - would it be good for this? It is Food Grade. Anybody else using Fluid Film? I think it would work!

Comment

I wire brushed one blade and immediately washed it in Dawn soapy water and rinsed it. A little metallic smell. I lightly coated it with olive oil and baked it at 450 for 1 hour. No smell, and a beautiful golden brown. See attached pics. I’ll now do the rest of it later this week a couple times, and then get to work making ham salad for my mother in law and coarse ground chuck for me. Thanks!! Click image for larger version

Name:	6A308343-4557-4373-BB3B-D18747B7A44D.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	1232718 Click image for larger version

Name:	61F5672A-1CFE-434E-B3C9-40C9B9F5FBD5.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	1232719

Comment

From the plates picture, I believe that you have a grain mill, not a meat grinder.

Comment

Yes, that is a plate that came with the grinder, one that I don't plan to use. The other plates are definitely for meat - different size holes.

Comment

• willsands
                  willsands commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wasn't aware that there are devices that mill grain and grind meat. A picture of the disassembled mill would be enlightening.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here