Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a Cambro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a Cambro?

Like the topic says . I see this mentioned and I do not know what it is.

A cambro is an insulated box for holding food at temperature. A faux cambro is a cooler with a couple towels in it. Wrap the cooked meat in foil, wrap it in the towels, and put it in the cooler; it does the same thing as a cambro.

Comment

To be a little more clear, Cambro is a manufacturer of food handling/storage equipment. They are known for their clear plastic square sided containers (if you say "a Cambro" to baker, that's what they will think you will mean) and their insulated food storage/transport containers. In the catering world, they are those boxes you see with a front door and shelves that hold steam tray pans, and are used to transport hot food prepared at an off-site kitchen to the event site and keep it warm for many hours. They work great, but for home use they are quite expensive. So if you say "a Cambro" around these parts, we usually mean one of the insulated boxes. As Mosca says, most of us use a "faux cambro" made from a beer cooler. Meathead details how to make and use one here: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ux_cambro.html

The better quality cooler you get (usually rated in how long it will keep ice from melting - longer=better) the longer it will keep your food warm.
      Last edited by mgaretz; November 16, 2015, 03:18 PM.

Comment

My crappy little Igloo, classic style cooler. with some towels, works fantastic. I usually let the meat rest in there at least for a half hour before pulling, or doing whatever I need to do with it.

Comment

No matter what you use, empty air space can be your enemy, especially when you only have 1 hunk of meat. I have a little carry cooler for 1-3 hunks of meat (with a towel and various amounts of newspaper), once I get to 4 it is time for the Cambro, which can hold 5.

Comment

I'm just sitting here noticing that I don't have One Picture of my, now 4 Cambros!!! Travesty!

I don't know how I lived without my Tray Slide out Cambros before. Last night, 18 racks of St. Louis #WhoDatRibs for the afterparty when we ordained a young man into the Gospel Ministry. Three trays into the Cambro. I'd open in up and grab a rack, then close it back up. I made the serving and cutting so much more fun!

I need to take more pictures!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here