Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat grinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat grinders

This is my first visit to the Club, so if I am posting in the wrong area, tell me. Is there any place to go on this site or anyone with whom I can request information/recommendation on automatic (motorized) meat grinders? They seem on the expensive side and obviously require considerable care cleaning properly. The Sausage Maker out of Buffalo sells grinders but I can't figure which is the best for the money and why. Any thoughts?

Welcome to The Pit pncboy85 ! I've moved this question to the Accessories channel. You can always ask a question, and you're sure to get some helpful answers from those in the know, but it's best to try to post it where it fits the best. It may seem a little overwhelming if you're not used to forums, but click the Forums tab (upper left) and scroll though the topics that fit what you're looking for. Or you can use the search function (upper right) to find posts that might ave what you're looking for.

Have fun!

I'll send you the new member homework assignment soon enough!

Comment

It really depends on how you plan using it. If you just need something that can grind a couple pounds of chuck roast for burgers once in awhile, a kitchenmaid mixer with a meat grinding attachment will work just fine. If you are looking to grind 30 lbs of pork butts for sausage, you're going to want a larger one like those sold at Sausage Makers. Basically, the larger the h/p, the more pounds of meat per minute you can grind. I have one that I bought from Cabelas. I bought it from Cabelas because I live about 90 miles from their home base in Sidney, NE, so if I have problems it should be an easy process. I have both the stand mixer and a stand alone and use both as needed.

Here's a link to an article that mainly talks about a grinder attachment for a stand mixer, but good info on maintenance and sausage grinding.

Last edited by Dr ROK; October 27, 2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! pncboy85, I think you are getting some good advice here! The only thing I might suggest that what ever you buy uses standard disks and knife! Generally you want three disks; Fine, Medium, and Coarse and should be available at your local Hardware Store. 👍👍🍀👍👍 Luck,
        Dan

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Great point. That's exactly why I went with Cabelas. Hopefully, they'll be around a lot longer than I will be, so if I need new blades or disks, I know where to get them.

Bottom line: I was given a "Cabela's" grinder for my birthday. It is a serious machine: coolant in the grinder housing .75hp motor and 60lbs. Only problem, it is too darn heavy. I won't have any difficuty chewing through the bones. I know, don't eat the bones.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the 1/2 horsepower with #8 throat and was glad I didn't get anything bigger.

You gonna grind some major stuff with that dude!!!

That is a serious machine! I have had a LEM 1/3 horse using #8 plates for about 7 years now. I mainly use it to grind venison and tube sausage. I hunt and process all of my own meat, usually 4 or 5 deer a year. I will grind 75 to 80% of a deer into burger saving the back strap, inside loin and some roast from hind quarters. My LEM does a great job and would recommend it to anyone.

Comment

If you have a kitchen aid mixer the meat grinding attachment works very well.

Comment

I've bought a lot of stuff from this company over the years and always been happy with their service.

Meat grinders from Walton's include everything a home or commercial processor needs! From a small meat processing grinder to commercial mixer/grinders.

For good ground product, do a breaking grind with a large diameter plate, then grind again with a smaller plate.

Keep your plates and blades matched, don't mix them up. They will then wear evenly and you won't get metal shards in your meat.

I don't think grinders make good sausage stuffers, so even if you do get one with the sausage stuffing attachments, you'll get better sausages if you buy a stuffer separately.

Don't stick you weenie in the grinder, or any other appendage for that matter.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here