Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GrillGrates question for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GrillGrates question for you

Just curious, the review says the manufacturer claims a substancial amplified heat on a gas grill but I'm reading some reviews to the contrary. Any of you that use them taken a surface temp? I am looking to get some for my Genesis 1000 to use on top of my stainless grates. Inquiring minds wanna know
    I know everybody speaks highly of them.

Ive taken surface temps with my inferred gun and I would say they defiantly disperse the heat better than any regular stock grates. That being said, I think some people are getting caught up in the terminology. I think it eliminates hot spots and gives you a much better product.

Comment

• w0nq
      w0nq commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I was suspecting to be the case. Better distribution being more desirable that an actual temp increase.
      Thanks

I use them all the time on my pellet and charcoal grills. What I've found is they give you a much more even heat across the entire cooking surface. No big flare-ups.

Comment

Hmmm... No flair up, yes.

However... In my humble opinion on a gasser the hot spot travels into the GrillGrate's. It's just not as pronounced.

Most gasser's hot spots are toward the back of the grill. I've found when doing burgers it is best to shift the patties front to back half way through the cook. The same for browning the buns on the flat side of the GG's.

I would not live without my GG's and the heat distribution is much better than other grates.

Now with charcoal where the fire is in the middle... They are golden!

Comment

The flare ups are what I noticed the most, I would get them all the time, now I don't. They do get quite hot, I use the flat side for searing steaks and burgers.

Comment

My first set of GrillGrates was for my Charbroil gas grill as a replacement set of the factory grates. Given the design of the grates, I experienced more consistent cook of meat due to less flare ups. Because I like them so much, I also bought a set for my Green Egg last year when the manufacturer started making the grates for the model. I use them more for the Egg when I'm doing fish, as they're a more delicate cook, and I've got alder wood on the coals for smoke.

Comment

Great, I appreciate the input. Sounds like I should get a set "on the way"
            Thanks again

Comment

From experience, I can agree with the even heat distribution and the lack of flare ups. I have 4 on my Genesis Silver B. Won't cook without 'em.

The IR reported a temp of about 786 when I had all 3 burners on high and the grill was fully heated up. I generally cook hot and fast with the lid up, so the temp will drop during the cook.

I really haven't even begun to use them to their full potential.

-- Ed

Comment

You all sold me on them. Ordered a set this morning.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hope you let us know how you like them, w0nq

The GrillGrates were delivered a couple days ago and I put them in the Redhead. I had some butterfly chops all ready to go but I had to go to work (overnight thing) and I figured to get to them the next day. Nope, my wife decided to go for it & took off the GG's and ignored the fact I had left the thermo-pop right there on the grill. Well, I chewed on one of the chops for breakfast after I rolled in. I could have patched my boot with them Hopefully today I will get to try those GrillGrates out with some drummies. They sure look nice though, and that back scratcher / spatula thingy is great!!!!

Comment

Try a steak on them after you've flipped them over. Total charring surface. Love em.

Comment

Lol. Your story cracks me up. I have been in a very similar situation a few times. My wife I think was a little offended when I first got my ThermoPop, perhaps subconsciously thinking it was my way of saying she didn't know how to cook meat right. I had a tough time chewing on overcooked pork chops and chicken when she made me dinner, knowing how hard I try to make juicy delicious meat when I cook. Eventually she came around and now she's in the habit of using the instant read and watching for the right temps. Old habits die hard, and using a meat thermometer is a relatively new way of cooking to many home cooks. My mother still cooks the ever-living crud out of pork chops until they are pork-scented boot soles.

Comment

She was all good with the ribs last night. Didn't get 'em quite where I wanted them to be but close. I had kids wanting to get out the door and chomping at the bit for supper. I pulled these at about 5 hr of almost perfect 225 - 235. They were massive, cleaved from Hogzilla himself apparently...but tasty to be sure. Nice and tender but just a touch more pull than what I consider ideal. Not that this crew won't scarf 'em down like a pack of wolves. They really could have used another hour. Kept her posted (getting in digs) throughout the cook about the temp the kettle was running at, look at that nice bark, etc. Even texted update pictures to her at work. She'll come around & use the tools. In the meantime, I'll just keep patching old boots

Comment

GrillGrates don't actually make your grill hotter. They are made of aluminum which conducts heat much more quickly than typical grate metals. This conductivity takes the heat from the grill and transmits it into the meat, which makes it seem like the grill is hotter.

It's like 95F on a humid day feels like 105F.

Comment

What I appreciated right off the bat was the consistancy and no fear of flare up. Worked great on the veggies. Anxious to flip them over for smashed burgers the kids really like them that way.

Now have been using them for a few weeks and I am impressed. Drummies, burgers, veggies.,...just a real welcome addition to the arsenal and worth every penny.
                          Last edited by w0nq; October 26, 2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here