Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill gloves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill gloves?

Can anyone recommend a good pair of heat resistant gloves? Something that would withstand the heat of moving hot coals around for a few seconds. I bought a pair at our local Ace hardware store and they kind of work but they seem to go from comfortable to hand searing in a nano-second. I realize that tongs are a better option for repositioning coals but a good pair of heat resistant gloves always come in handy for numerous reasons. Any recommendations?

Eric, I am looking for the Samething as you, I have a pair of knit Nomax gloves also from Ace, seem heat resistant enough but Retain Dirt & Stains. I think I am looking for a hard faced Welding Glove of some Sort? Dan

Comment

I've used these for years. They're good for a few seconds with intense heat, but you will start to feel it if you try to handle hot grates / cast iron for a longer period of time. I'm sure there is a better glove, but they would cost more.

I think MH has some recommendations on this site. Hope this helps.

-- Ed

Comment

A cheap pair of welding gloves have worked well for me for years. I've had a pair of these for about 5 years now - they look like they've been through the wringer, but I haven't burnt my hands yet.
        They work fine for moving some coals around or picking up the grate to adjust something. I wouldn't stand there holding the 700*+ grate for more than about 10 seconds, or a handful of red-hot coals, but otherwise they do the job for less than $10.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jim I was just in Harbor Freight, bought A Fiber Glass Welding Blanket, 6’ X 8' that I am having Shoe and Tarp Co double it over and seam it to 3' X 7' for use as a Grill Matt, and Never Looke at the Welding Gloves? Another Senior Moment? Dan

• risawyer
          risawyer commented
          Editing a comment
          I also use welders gloves. Find a local welders supply store and you can get a good pair there that will last for years. These won't give you much dexterity, but they will let you pick up burning coals/wood chunks to position as you see fit.

Not sure about handling hot coals, but I've ordered these from the link below. Lots of good reviews on Amazon. I can tell you that I've had two pair of silicon gloves and both pair eventually cracked where they were bent repeatedly. I actually sent the last pair back to exchange for the ones listed below due to this problem.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Last edited by Dr ROK; October 4, 2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Yes, HWMO as a pair of welder's gloves he uses. they are really handy. Please understand, we never use them for food, the food is always on it's own separate rack that is taken out of the smoker, then the meat transferred with clean gloves.

Comment

I have these, have not burnt my hands or got hot, They do fit tight around the wrists.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00
            Last edited by JohnF; October 4, 2015, 01:44 PM. Reason: Miscellaneous changes as I saw fit to be more presentable.

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              How do you sanitize them?

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
            Yes, HWMO as a pair of welder's gloves he uses. they are really handy. Please understand, we never use them for food, the food is always on it's own separate rack that is taken out of the smoker, then the meat transferred with clean gloves.
            No, not food gloves. I'd be using these strictly for the dirty aspects of grilling, moving coals, adjusting grates, things like that. My wife has a bunch of disposable gloves that we use for meat moving.

Comment

Welding gloves are king, IMHO. Just for the down and dirty though as others have suggested.

Comment

Well, years ago (like maybe ten? Could be more.), my wife gave me a pair of red and black heavy leather gloves for handling coals, hot grills, etc. They are now well broken-in (that is, they are now flexible so I don't drop stuff much). I use them ONLY for coals, hot logs, and grills and try to avoid greasy surfaces (which cuts down on hand fires on subsequent uses). I have scrubbed them with a stiff, nonwire brush on occasion, and I saddle-soaped them once. I won't do that again. I was surprised to see a picture of them at the top of AR.com promoting product reviews. I had no idea they are still being made. Welding gloves is something I've thought about, but I also bought tongs with spatula-like paddles on the end (don't remember where, but they are sturdy enough to pick up a cinder block) which I use when I know the large hot chunk/metal I'm moving will have to be held awhile.

Comment

I bought a pair of Pit Paws when I purchased my smoker from The Pit Barrel Cooking Company . They are made with aramid fiber and good for up to 450 degrees. They have worked well so far, but at $24.95 per pair I might have overpaid based on the other posts in this thread.

Comment

Yep ... welding gloves. You don't want anything tight at the wrist so you can fling them off easily if you get a hot coal stuck to the leather.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                      Danjohnston949 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good Point! It doesn't eliminate the pain but it certainly reduces the time you have to put up with It! 😭. Dan

Had the welding gloves on the other day when I comfortably cleaned off the heated GG's

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here