Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elusive Knife Sharpening issue: Could it be solved 4 PaulstheRibList? #VideoFun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elusive Knife Sharpening issue: Could it be solved 4 PaulstheRibList? #VideoFun

I've bought some great knives in the last year, my Wustof's being the best and most fun of all. And I've used the little handheld sharpener from Wustof for keeping them sharp. But I can't get them back to that state of Awe sharp that they are when I opened the box...until today!

I know you're saying, "Paul, own the sharpener for a week before you post a video..." Well, I can always make a 2nd video in a week/month when I'm even better with the new sharpener, but there's no time like the present! Plus, I get to pull a brisket and check it for probe tender with all of you.

AND, I get to show you how messy my garage is in the background. I know you love me anyway! If I spent all that time cleaning and tidying, then I wouldn't have as much time to cook!

Still trying to Embed the video here:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OuVXitYF0nY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If that doesn't work, here's the link, my Pitmaster Friends!

Awesome video. Did you need my address to send that brisket?

Comment

Cool, I saw someone else using one of those on Youtube, seemed very time consuming but worth it. Thanks for the review.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      nice
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 3, 2015, 06:31 PM.

You rock Paul. You rock

Comment

PaulstheRibList, Well done both the Brisket and the Knife Sharpening! Two observations, first using paper to check your knife edge is about the quickest way to dull edge I know, second you need a Razor Strop or a piece of Harness Leather and a few strokes and it will be so sharp you will have to sneak up on it to use it! Nice Post, Dan

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      The kit came with a Strop, and it's next on my list of things to learn to use!

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      The paper is just a fun way to impress friends! I'm going to practice on every blade in the house, then work on my precious Wusthofs!

The tip page on the mfgr site says finding the right angle is key, and give a great tip about using a magic marker on the blade, doing a few strokes and seeing if the whole mark is removed, or the edge on the blade edge, or the edge away from the blade edge, and adjusting the angle accordingly.

With super sharp knives, trimming, especially brisket, goes better and FASTER!

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      PaulstheRibList, I like the tip on the Majic Marker, Truth be told (@Jon Solberg being it's Sunday) I never could due a descent job of sharpening a knife, I always handed that little job over to my Dad when I could. But having the guide to keep one from rolling the edge is certainly useful! Dan

I have a similar one from Australia, called the EZESharp. Yours may be the EdgePro. I've used mine and like it, especially for breaking in a knife that may have been around awhile and gotten banged up. I have also done a lot of free hand sharpening in the past and, like your dad, got pretty good at it.

However, I now have some shoulder issues and find that repetitive sharpening movements, even if protecting my shoulder as best I can, can be a problem, especially if I have a lot of knives to sharpen or a particularly difficult knife. After reading Cook's Illustrated's review of electric sharpeners I decided to swallow my pride and buy a Chef's Choice Trizor XV Model 15 sharpener, and I haven't looked back. I got mine at Amazon, using the AR link.

Disclaimer: I am a private individual, not a paid endorser or sales person, and am speaking from personal experience.

George

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here