Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermoWorks Chef Alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermoWorks Chef Alarm

I Just opened my new ThermoWorks Chef Alarm thermometer, and I'm disappointed. Not because it isn't an excellent thermometer, but because it is not what I was led to believe I was buying. It comes with a probe that's a meat thermometer, not also an oven or cooker thermometer as advertised. The review on this website even says it can be used as both an oven and a meat thermometer, and it can. But not without separately buying an air probe with a grate clip, it doesn't come with one. I have meat thermometers, including the Thermo Pop by ThermoWorks. I also had a Maverick dual probe smoker and meat thermometer, but when I ordered the Chef Alarm, I gave the Maverick to a friend who lives several hours away. What I wanted was a cooker thermometer. I will not have one for cooking on my new Weber kettle grill with the Slow N Sear today, on my 63rd birthday. So I'll just have to either go to the Walmart and get a cheap oven thermometer, or rely on the thermometer in the lid of the Weber. This would not have happened if the descriptions of this thermometer had simply said "Comes with a cooking probe and pot clip. For reading cooker temperatures, an air probe with a grate clip must be ordered separately." I just ordered the air probe with a grate clip and it should be here in a week.

You can't just put the meat probe in a little ball of foil and set it on the grate, and use it for the air temp? Whatever you do, don't use your Weber's lid thermometer for two reasons- to route the smoke and heat over your food, the vent needs to be over top the food, opposite the coals for best results, thus putting the lid thermometer directly over the hot coals. It will read crazy high compared to actual grate temps. Second, even if the lid thermometer were positioned over the food, it's several inches above the food where temps are way higher than actual grate temps. Either way it won't be accurate.

My suggestion is follow our lighting procedure and vent setting suggestions to a T. You'll be in the ballpark.

Comment

CHEFALARM includes unit, Pro-Series High Temp Cooking Probe, SS Probe Clip, Operating Instructions, and Padded Zip Wallet that neatly holds everything.

Pretty much sums it up. Doesn't say anything about a grill clip and air temp probe.

Comment

This won't help for today's cook, but I have a CDN DSP-1 Dual Sensing Probe therm and timer that I've been using for 4 years without issues. It simplifies the multi-cord and sensor issue to one cable and sensor.

I still use the Maverick a lot since you can't beat the remote monitoring, but for simplicity when I'm parked next to the smoker or using the oven, the dual-sensor probe is great. Ah, and it works great in the Weber with the Slow 'N Sear, one less cable to feed through the vent.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here