Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commercial freezers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commercial freezers

I was looking at a site and saw reach in commercial freezers and thought that would probably be money spent well to get a freezer like this rather than the 3 we currently have 🤦‍♀️. Probably more energy efficient at least. But problem is they say that ‘home use’ could void warranties or there be insurance issues. Does anyone have a commercial freezer they use at home? this one seemed reasonably priced compared to many more that I saw. I have an upright and chest freezer in garage something like this could replace. Any other recommendations?

They are horrible when they start crapping out. We are on our second at the school. The refrigerator has had issues, but nothing like the freezer. Make sure they have good service techs, McDonald's ice cream machine level techs.

Comment

One benefit at least would be they are much more serviceable than residential equipment. Make sure you get one that is 120 volt and comes with a plug in cord, unless you or someone who know can hard wire it or add a plug in cord. Many commercial freezers need to hard wired.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, it's the other way around depending where you live. At least in my area, over an hour from a major city, the parts and familiarity of the folks that will respond quickly is based on home products. I was looking into a commercial unit for the garage (fridge in my case) and my wife (who does property management as well as realty) asked her guys and they all said avoid the commercial stuff for home use.

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs I don’t know anything about using commercial stuff for home use, and I don’t see why it would void the warranty because normally commercial equipment has a much shorter warranty than residential, but I do know that the equipment is actually made to be able to be fixed. Residential equipment is made to last until the warranty expires. Then when it breaks, any repair will usually cost at least half as much as a new one, if not much more.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah dunno why it would do anything with the warranty, I was just stating that it will take longer to get a qualified tech to come suss out any issues depending where you live.

I would not be particularly happy with a freezer that runs between 0 and -8ºF. I run my cheapo manual defrost Frigidaire upright between -10 and -15ºF. I think colder temperature and no auto-defrost cycles results in better long term storage. I can't speak to efficiency, but the freezer is over 10 years old, and no problems. Just my opinion though.

Comment

Just the fact that they explicitly state that residential use will void the product warranty would be a no starter for me, personally.

Comment

Personally I think all the warranty issues and getting someone who can service it out to your house make it a non-starter. What if it craps out after 6 months? They already told you the 5 year compressor warranty is void for residential use, so you would be out of luck and out of a lot of money.

That said, I've known at least one guy here who had walk in in his basement. He didn't run it as a freezer, but for storing dozens of beer kegs...
          Last edited by jfmorris; December 7, 2021, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here