Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indoor Oven Recommendations-Dual Fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indoor Oven Recommendations-Dual Fuel?

Our Electric Smooth Top Range is in need of a major part-$480! I've wanted a Gas Range for a while but not sure what to get. There are dual fuel ranges out there. Does anyone have one? Is a Gas Oven a good thing? We've always had an Electric Range/Oven Combo.

I grew up with gas ovens and gas cooktops over in Georgia, but most stuff here in N. Alabama is electric - likely due to TVA influence. That said, in a kitchen remodel I insisted on a gas cooktop, and since duel fuel ranges were not available, went with a single electric wall oven mounted in the base cabinets, with a gas cooktop in the counter above it. A lot of that was based on 1990 era research that indicated most professional chefs (at the time) preferred a gas cooktop and an electric oven. I am sure this is why a few years later they came out with dual fuel units.

Having experienced both type ovens, I feel that electric ovens seem to heat a little more evenly than gas ovens for baking purposes. But they can also take longer to heat than a gas oven. Most gas ovens that I've had always had a lower chamber where the gas burner was, which doubles as your broiler. So while the old gas wall ovens looked like "double" ovens, they in reality were a single oven above, and a broiler below. Not sure how this works out in a range, since most of the gas ovens in houses I've personally owned were wall ovens, and not ranges.

I would never give up my gas cooktop, and have considered replacing it all with a freestanding gas range at some point to be honest. It would require some cabinet and countertop work though.
    Last edited by jfmorris; December 5, 2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

We'll be replacing our electric range with a dual fuel in the near future. Electric ovens tend to have more even heating. Of course, it depends on the quality of the oven. YGWYPF. If I only had the choice between gas or electric, I'd go with gas. I don't bake so the oven is secondary to the burners.

Comment

I can’t say I use my oven enough to care about the differences between gas or electric. The oven just needs to maintain heat. I do love my gas cooktop (which is part of the gas oven) though so that is essential. Cooking on an electric cooktop is just miserable.
        Last edited by STEbbq; December 5, 2021, 08:58 AM.

Comment

We have a dual fuel Kitchenaid Commercial Style range. We love it. I prefer gas cooktops and electric ovens because I feel they are more precise. My wife is a baker and insisted on electric oven.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here, we have the Kitchenaid dual fuel and really like it. The wife is a baker too and insists on a electric oven. We had some trouble with temp control when it was new, but it works fine now. We have the double oven model. The top oven is short and limits what can be put in it.

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Oak Smoke we have a separate wall oven and the 36 Range. I like the wall oven better. Only issue we have had was the igniter for the gas clicking for like a minute after ignition. It kind of fixed itself.

I miss my gas range top, but I don't miss cleaning it. Cooked some bread once in a gas stove, I'll stick to my electric, little too uneven for my taste.

Comment

I can not speak for true dual fuel ranges, but I have had both electric and gas ovens. I prefer the electric oven. It heats more evenly and cooks better in my opinion. Our house now we have dual electric ovens with forced air along with the element and it does great. Our cooktop is gas and I will stay gas when I have to replace it. Electric cooktops provide a better even heat across the pan to me, but I much prefer the gas. I can get more heat into a pan with gas when I need to. Also seems like I can boil water Way quicker. Hope that’s somewhat helpful.

Comment

Go with a dual fuel, gas cooktop and electric oven. I would if I could, but the house wasn't built with a 220 outlet to the range (only a 110 and gas). Cook top gives you instant hot and electric ovens tend to heat much more evenly.

Comment

Do you already have a gas line there to use? I missed my gas range for 11 years after we moved and new house had an electric smooth top. I liked the electric oven better, but hated the electric burners. We don’t have a gas line, so ended up replacing with induction versus paying big bucks to have a line run and I love it. It’s easier to clean than even regular electric, heats up fast and adjusts temps immediately. The only drawbacks are pan requirements and not being able to stir things by sliding the pan around. We’ve only had it a few months, but I don’t know if I’d choose gas anymore if we had a hookup.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                  Bkhuna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same issue we had with our new home. Gas everywhere except the kitchen. New types of flexible piping and building codes now allow for me to add gas to the wall behind the range. Cost of installation was $700 and I got $500 dollars worth of rebates for the range and from the gas company to that took the bite out of the installation.

The gas contractor will be installing the range for me and calibrating the burners for optimal output. I didn't know there was such a thing.

With our remodel I cut the concrete floor and ran a gas line so we could install a dual fuel range. Our local appliance dealer had a closeout Smeg 36" range that I picked up at a nice discount. Smegs are made in Italy and are beautify crafted. The oven is electric, runs on a 20 amp 240v circuit, and the cooktop is a 5 burner gas. Both function very well, but I've had a couple of minor but annoying glitches with it. I'm very happy with the dual fuel setup.

Comment

I replaced an all electric range with a dual fuel, 5 burner gas top, with 2 electric ovens. Mrs. B HATED the all electric, hated the electric top. She really likes this unit.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I definitely share her deep-seated hatred of lectric cooktops!

Learned on wood an gas stoves... lectric range I gots now, in my duplex?

Hate it worse than any I have ever cooked on, in my entire life!!! No markins round th knobs, jus a widenin strip so's I can tell if I's turnin it up, or down.

Think my BP has settled down, ever since I jus started IR'n my CI, an other pans...

No 2 burners on this thing, have ever been th same temp at th same setting.

Yes, I know they can be calibrated

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have calibrated hunnerts of em, at work.

Don't wanna calibrate it, want it out of My Kitchen.

Might consider .50 Calibratin it, that'd make me feel Mucho ****in Better, I'd havedta reckon, Yessir!

NK...HATE!!!

It might not matter to you but gas ovens are noticeably more humid than electrics which can affect some things.

Comment

I've always liked a gas cook top. I've only used cheap electric ovens - usually in a rental property or a cheap used one that came with the house I bought. Cheap electric ovens suck. Good ones that I've used at friends houses are nice and easy to use. As Bkhuna stated "YGWYPF."

I currently use an antique gas range and I love it although my friend has a higher end Italian gas convection oven that I really like too.

Comment

You can come spend a couple days cooking here on our gas range and oven if you want.

Comment

• rickgregory
                        rickgregory commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Man, you'll just let ANYONE come cook there, eh?

• Skip
                        Skip commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Look in your driveway. Do you recognize that guy?

Have a dual fuel Miele also has steam injection and love it. Made a lifetime best bread today. Replaced a dual fuel Thermador that lasted 25 years or so .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here