Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pepper Cannon. Why did I pay $200 for a pepper mill. Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepper Cannon. Why did I pay $200 for a pepper mill. Review

So why did I pay that kind of money for a manual pepper mill? Maybe cause I’m out of my mind? Or just maybe I am tired of spending an insane amount of time grinding pepper to make a rub?

Well first off this thing comes very well packaged, as it should for the money.
    Upon opening the box I noticed this mill is absolutely beautiful.
    When I cranked it I was impressed. There was no friction at all. Super smooth.
    The increments to change the coarseness is really nice it clicks in very firmly so it won’t change as you are grinding.
    Now for the test. I added a bunch of peppercorns to the cannon. Took out a white plate and first used a pre filled mill from the grocery store. Did 10 cranks. Than I used my battery powered mill and ran it for 10 seconds.
    Finally I used the Pepper Cannon in 3 different levels of coarseness. Their recommended finest setting, 6 clicks from bottomed out. Than went another 6 clicks and finally another 6 clicks for a fairly coarse grind. But not too coarse. Each time 10 cranks like the grocery store mill.
    Let me tell you this thing is awesome. As you can see in the pics below the grind is amazingly uniform compared to the other 2 grinders. And the amount you get is insane.
    If you do a lot of pepper grinding and want uniform ground pepper I highly recommend the Pepper Cannon.
    And see where my battery mill now resides.
    Thanks for reading. SteveB
    Click image for larger version

Name:	01B7B464-9BE3-4FC6-B94F-E97DC9643F95.jpeg
Views:	2722
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1121481 Click image for larger version

Name:	EAA5F613-2E3B-48A6-820C-CF037AB8172E.jpeg
Views:	2458
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1121483 Click image for larger version

Name:	F2BDB8D7-FBDA-42D5-AC67-5B07AFD51367.jpeg
Views:	2464
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1121482

Nice touch with the last pic! 😂

Comment

I'm glad I wasn't the only one crazy enough to spend that much on a pepper mill, Steve B ! I agree completely with your review. This mill is a beast, and is built like a tank. It is hands down much better than any other mill I've owned.

My only complaint with it has been that it is very, very difficult to pull off and put on the "cup" on the bottom of the mill. Curious to hear if the one on yours is as snug a fit. Fortunately, that cup isn't at all necessary to the grinder. I just set the mill on top of the cup when in the cupboard and don't bother trying to force it on.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you give the cup a slight twist (either direction) when putting it on and taking it off?

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah. It is quite snug. The directions say to give it a slight twist as gcdmd mentioned I think that’s also why they include an extra o-ring for the cup knowing it’s gonna break at some point.
        I might try putting a tiny bit of oil on the o-ring. But than you’ll have to be careful not to get any of the pepper on the ring as may help to tare it.

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        gcdmd , Steve B - yes, have tried the twist that the company recommends in the instructions. No luck. Also thought about a bit of oil, but as you say, Steve, then you have to avoid getting pepper on it. It's not a big deal, though. Doesn't hamper the use of mill.

I love pepper, almost as much as NOT grinding peppercorns.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear the torque converter in the body of the grinder is what makes it sooo smooth. 🤣🤣🤣

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        It better, my new to me torque converter was only $25 more than your freaking grinder.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s freaking funny Jerod. LMAO. 😂

I'm a Pepper Cannon owner and fan, as well. I got in on the early promotion at a discount (25% as I recall).

However, if I need a massive amount of ground pepper I resort to the mortar and pestle (best use for a molcajete I ever found) or a small Oster blender jar.

BTW, if you're serious about throwing the battery mill away and still have it I would be happy to pay for shipping. My wife uses ours, and we could use another one if it's in good shape.
      Last edited by gcdmd; November 7, 2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately it was on its last leg. And really it probably wouldn’t have been worth the shipping cost.
        But I appreciate the offer. 👍

I love my Pepper Cannon. I was skeptical at first when some else on AR posted about it but after viewing the linked Kickstarter page and watching youtube reviews from well known cooks and chefs I bit the bullet and bought one - 25% off on Kickstarter.

I use it all the time. Previously I only bought pre-ground pepper from the store. I love how it covers a steak in only a few turns. I currently have Tellicherry peppercorns in it. I still use pre-ground for briskets and such. After smoking for hours I doubt you can tell the difference between fresh ground pepper and previously ground - possibly old - pepper.

Don't throw the battery mill away, donate it if gcdmd changes his mind. I'm surprised it didn't perform better than that.

theroc I don't have a problem with the cup on mine. It has an o-ring seal that is snug; if yours is too tight just remove the o-ring and set the mill on the cup when not in use.
      Last edited by 58limited; November 7, 2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

58limited I’ve had that battery powered one for quite some time and it was definitely struggling to get the job done.
        Really not worth saving. 😔

Comment

I love pepper, but I dislike uni-taskers. My off-brand pepper cannon is very fast, but it is also very user dependent to deliver uniform ​​ coarseness of the grind.

If you want awesome and consistent - see above excellent review. If you need a lot of pepper, and don't want to part with a couple C-notes....this works for me😁

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211107_130848.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	1121577

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve done that for years. LOL
            When my wife & friends saw it, they thought I was nuts. A few weeks later they saw Alton Brown do the same thing…they didn’t think I was quite as nuts. ;-)

These days my electric is actually a Cuisinart burr grinder.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Mebbe I'm jus Ol Skool, but I have th Craftsman C3 version of this...moved up from NiCad, to Lithium batts, several years ago.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Rollin' like a pro Mr. Bones, rollin' like a pro :-)

I probably won’t get rid of my battery powered just for the one hand operation, but I think I’m gonna keep an eye on the Pepper Cannon and see if they don anything for Black Friday. There’s times I’d like to grind my own for rubs and just grab the already ground stuff to save waiting for minutes to get a couple TBs from the battery one.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Seriously from what I can tell from my initial playing with this you could definitely get 1/2 cup of pepper in less than 2 minutes. Haven’t tried it yet but I’m sure you can get that amount.

Caffeine88 you beat me to it lol.

Comment

An old burr coffee grinder can make quick work of a bunch of pepper too.

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what I use these days when I need mad quantities of pepper.

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              Brilliant!

I love mine. I wrote a review way back when I first received it. To me the ONLY negative was the cost. I still get palpitations if I happen to see it written down somewhere. What in the world ever possessed me to pay that for a pepper mill?!?

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I think it’s your fault that I wound up getting one based on your review.
              And thank you. I think I will never regret this purchase.

theroc is crazy about his pepper cannon! Who would have thunk?

Comment

Thanks for the review Steve! I am always curious to see what products like this are actually like. Good to hear that it is a solid unit. Sometimes things like this are just worth the extra cost if it makes thing easy.

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                You got that right. And this thing will do exactly that.

That is awesome. But I'm still not spending $200 on a pepper mill...

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                I was quite reluctant myself. But I must say I do not regret it at all.

• Dan Deter
                Dan Deter commented
                Editing a comment
                I would regret SWMBO's reaction LOL

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here