Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a new cooktop - pitfalls and tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully it won’t be a huge deal, but adding a gas line to your kitchen may not be so easy. When the main gas line (from your street or wherever) comes into your house, you only get so much gas. Every appliance that you have running on gas (water heater, furnace, etc) uses so much of that gas, depleting your available supply. This is a similar thing to your water line, if you run 2 showers at once your water pressure is going to be a lot lower than if you just run one shower. So it’s going to be a question of how much gas is coming into your house, and how much gas your current appliances require. Hopefully, you have plenty of available gas and it won’t be a big deal, but what’s why you have a plumber coming out.

I know this because my dad and I remodeled his kitchen about 10 years ago and just tapped into the gas line to run a gas line to the kitchen (similar to what you want to do). We didn’t know any better and it worked out all right, but when my dad mentioned it to a plumber friend of his, the plumper really laid into him!

Comment

• Grillin Dad
      Grillin Dad commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, if you do get a gas stove, I would not recommend GE. We have a 3 year old GE gas stove and have gone through 2 control panels. We actually got an extended warranty on the stove just because of this!

for recommendations, I am very happy with my LG gas stove that we put in last year. The LG Studio gas cooktop is listed at $899 ON SALE on lg.com .... I have the Studio gas stove and it is outstanding. Looks great, cooks great, very easy learning curve. I'm a big fan.

We were able to buy our LG Studio because of a similar sale. Take a look!!!

LG STUDIO 30'' Gas Cooktop (LSCG307ST) | LG USA
    Last edited by ecowper; November 3, 2021, 10:54 AM.

Comment

You've already had some good points about adding a gas line for the stove. I was fortunate that I have a large inbound gas line (furnance, water heater, and stove were already gas). Because of that, adding an additional line in the house to the stove was not a big deal. The plumber tapped the main line prior to the furnace and brought that to our kitchen.

one thing to factor into this is the change in your utility bills. Our electricity cost went down more than our gas cost went up. Over the long run, this will offset the cost of running the new gas line.

Comment

I’ve had my GE gas range for around 5 years and I’ve been happy with it. I got it at a local appliance store for around $800.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know how large our main incoming gas line is - that'll be something for the plumber to advise on. We're not going to upgrade that or anything. We may switch to induction if the line won't support it.

<edit> Ok, I just looked at some induction models.

Holy crap.
          Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; November 3, 2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

This place offers quite a few non-mainstream brands in your price range that you might explore. Free shipping ain't bad either.

30 Professional Gas Cooktop found in: Gallery 30" Gas Cooktop - Black, 30" Professional Drop-in Cooktop with 4 Burners - Natural Gas - Stainless Steel, Professional Series 30" Drop-in Gas Cooktop 4 Burners -..

Comment

Last year I replaced my 11 year old Frigidaire glass top with a Samsung unit that is pretty similar as far as tops go. I do like the oven and its convection baking and roasting options, as well as some other bells and whistles, but the actual burners on the top take forever to get up to temp. At least as compared to the 11 year old range.

Would I buy it again? That depends on what else is out there in that price range.

Good luck

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                one of the things I've hated about newer electrics with glass tops is how long it takes to get heat on the burners. thankfully I don't have to worry about that anymore.

DogFaced PonySoldier We've been using a cheap natural gas cooktop (black) that I picked up as a clearance floor model item at Sears (yes - when that was a place) for like $200 20+ years ago. So yes - a cheap cooktop can actually last! The main complaint we continue to have is that its a pain cleaning all the spatters off a glossy black surface. It requires several passes with a degreasing cleaner like 409, then Windex. The old cast iron grates were always porcelain coated back then, and those look like total crap - the main reason the wife would like to replace it is those ugly grates - the old individual ones, circa 1999 or 2000.

I have to wonder if brushed stainless, fingerprint resistant stainless, would show spatters less than black. That's what we've considered going to, as we like our Frigidaire smudge proof stainless fridge and microwave hood. We hate our Maytag dishwasher, as it shows everything on that stainless.

The other factor that concerns me if you have kids around are the fact that most cooktops now seem to have the knobs on the front edge (in the way), versus on the side the way our old one does right now. I worry about young kids messing with the stove if the knobs are staring at them at eye level... and you can turn the gas on, without igniting it by holding it in that position, and it would be a hazard.

I've looked at those same Empava models on the Lowes website myself, and know nothing beyond the user reviews on Lowes.com, but find reading those to be useful.

Good luck and I am curious what you end up with. I will also say to those recommending you go induction.... I looked into that as well, and the issues for me with induction are that it usually requires a 50A breaker, not a 30A breaker like most normal electric ranges and cooktops. To me that would be a deal breaker. Plus I just prefer cooking on gas. I can use ANY type of cookware I want, and not worry about it scratching the stove top. I saw a brand new Maytag glass electric top range on my trip to Pensacola with the black delaminating on the bottom side of the glass due to use skillet that was too small or too large for the burner.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                DogFaced PonySoldier We've been using a cheap natural gas cooktop (black) that I picked up as a clearance floor model item at Sears (yes - when that was a place) for like $200 20+ years ago. So yes - a cheap cooktop can actually last! The main complaint we continue to have is that its a pain cleaning all the spatters off a glossy black surface. It requires several passes with a degreasing cleaner like 409, then Windex. The old cast iron grates were always porcelain coated back then, and those look like total crap - the main reason the wife would like to replace it is those ugly grates - the old individual ones, circa 1999 or 2000.

I have to wonder if brushed stainless, fingerprint resistant stainless, would show spatters less than black. That's what we've considered going to, as we like our Frigidaire smudge proof stainless fridge and microwave hood. We hate our Maytag dishwasher, as it shows everything on that stainless.

The other factor that concerns me if you have kids around are the fact that most cooktops now seem to have the knobs on the front edge (in the way), versus on the side the way our old one does right now. I worry about young kids messing with the stove if the knobs are staring at them at eye level... and you can turn the gas on, without igniting it by holding it in that position, and it would be a hazard.

I've looked at those same Empava models on the Lowes website myself, and know nothing beyond the user reviews on Lowes.com, but find reading those to be useful.

Good luck and I am curious what you end up with. I will also say to those recommending you go induction.... I looked into that as well, and the issues for me with induction are that it usually requires a 50A breaker, not a 30A breaker like most normal electric ranges and cooktops. To me that would be a deal breaker. Plus I just prefer cooking on gas. I can use ANY type of cookware I want, and not worry about it scratching the stove top. I saw a brand new Maytag glass electric top range on my trip to Pensacola with the black delaminating on the bottom side of the glass due to use skillet that was too small or too large for the burner.
                Argh, crud. Here I was researching and finding some decent deals on induction, thinking that would be easier/cheaper anyways than plumbing for gas - AND I realized we'd need to have a 110V line put in to run the igniter (I think?). I was thinking induction I could just drop in on the 220V line, but I don't know what mine is rated for. <sigh> Now maybe induction has more cost associated with it, too... this is just a PITA.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was looking at the power needs for an induction range, which has an oven AND cooktop. Go look at the install guide and manual on Lowes or HD for the 30 inch induction cooktop you are looking at. Somewhere in there it should mention what it needs.

If your current cooktop plugs into a 220V outlet under the counter somewhere, that can easily be converted to 110V. Or have a 110V put in right beside it.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  your current electrical into your cooktop will be 220V. The problem, like jfmorris points out, is that you may need a 50A breaker on that line. For a gas cooktop, you will need a 110V line installed for the ignitor, clock, timer, etc. Since I was paying $1500 to have a new gas line run from the garage to the kitchen, I didn't worry too much about the electrical cost. It was all bundled into that price from my contractor. May be a different scenario for you.

DogFaced PonySoldier yes the gas cooktops need 120V to power the ignitor. I've got a 120V plug under the cabinet, next to the gas hookup, in the cabinet to the right of my stove. My 30 inch gas cooktop sits above a 27" electric wall oven that is installed in the base cabinets.

Comment

OMG, now my wife is just talking about trying to get this 20-30 year old POS cooktop repaired somehow instead of replacing it. I can't imagine any parts are available, but even so, getting someone to do it would likely be a couple hundred bucks, I don't know what the point is.

I'm just gonna bow out and let her do whatever the hell she wants. Oh well.

Comment

I did confirm that the cheapest induction cooktop I see at Lowea (Empava for $449) needs a 40 amp circuit. Go to the electrical panel and see how many amps the breaker for the cooktop is. I assume it and the oven are separate breakers.

If the service is only 30 amps, To me that makes induction a non-starter, as I think electrical work for that will cost more than a gas hookup. The existing 220V outlet can be converted to 120V for virtually nothing - just a new outlet and cover plate and a wire nut to cap the unused line.
                  Last edited by jfmorris; November 3, 2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                    DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Except my next door neighbor and one of my best friends is an electrician.

Only problem is getting him over to do something in less than 6 months! Hahaha!

Not sure how handy you are, but if you want to try and do some troubleshooting, I found this online

Looks simple to me, but I do electrical troubleshooting for a living, YMMV. If the control switch is actually the problem, then parts should be easy to come by because probably won't be brand specific.
                  While you're at your local appliance dealer, you might want to wander by the service department and ask what it would cost for a service call just diagnose the problem.

Comment

Another idea if money is tight. Find a cheap used electric cooktop. I just checked Facebook marketplace and see all sorts of folks local to me asking $100 to $200 for used cooktops they have for sale - probably because they bought new ones. I also bet most folks will take a lot less than is being asked too, to get it out of their garage.

Comment

• Caffeine88
                      Caffeine88 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This is a pretty good idea, too. I can vouch for the fact that I was happy to let go a perfectly serviceable Frigidaire dual fuel for next to nothing, just to have it no longer in my garage when we finished the remodel.

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s what we did with our electric range, which was 8 years old and in good dhape

I gotta say after like 2 weeks of looking and researching, I'm not much farther along.

Our current hookup is a 30A line, but I did find some induction cooktops that will run on 30A - although the more powerful and better ones require 40A hookup, which would require a rewire from my panel box in the garage. A bit of an undertaking. However, after reading tons of reviews of the new less expensive induction models, I'm quite leery. Perpetual buzzing noises, burners shorting out, error codes, power stealing when using more than 1 or 2 burners at a time, glass surfaces shattering or cracking with minimal force, burners shutting down from a drop of water, or clothing brushing against the surface, etc.,... it's enough to make one swear off it all until the technology improves.

And the wife really doesn't want induction. She wants to go to gas. So that's an uphill battle all the way anyways.

So we FINALLY have a plumber supposed to come out this morning to give us an estimate - but the odds we're going to get the gas line run this week AND have our 220V converted to 110V (for the ignition) this week also are I would estimate in the range of winning the lottery.

And I have 3 in-laws coming to stay through Thanksgiving, they arrive this Sunday.

We went to Home Depot and Lowe's and fondled their display units. Not impressed to say the least. Nothing in stock but stainless units, anything black is special order. In addition, the Frigidaire 5-burner 30" gas unit we've looked the most at I've learned has really sh***y knobs. Like they break easily and are expensive as heck to replace. And the knobs on the stainless version in the store had the heaviest, strongest all-metal knobs in the place. But the black unit has the cheap, crappy knobs. Now that makes me even more leery knowing some companies cheap out significantly on parts just on different colors of the same unit! And the knobs on almost all the rest of the units were just plastic only, or plastic with a metal liner on the shaft. What utter cheap crap, and we're talking even into the $1500-2000 units.

And you can't see most of this stuff in stock. Lowe's had about 8 gas units in stock - all stainless - and Home Depot had THREE. Same ones we'd seen at Lowe's of course.

So I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I like our other Frigidaire appliances, but have read the same online reviews complaining about the knobs being fragile as well, and I was looking at the stainless unit - not the black. Maybe the reviews for all colors are lumped together though.

I imagine anything you actually WANT will have to be ordered and take a while.

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you want an induction burner to play with, get the gas cooktop the wife wants, and get a counter top induction burner that plugs into a regular outlet to play with. It may be handy outside by the grill too.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here