Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a new cooktop - pitfalls and tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I was looking at the power needs for an induction range, which has an oven AND cooktop. Go look at the install guide and manual on Lowes or HD for the 30 inch induction cooktop you are looking at. Somewhere in there it should mention what it needs.

If your current cooktop plugs into a 220V outlet under the counter somewhere, that can easily be converted to 110V. Or have a 110V put in right beside it.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
    DogFaced PonySoldier We've been using a cheap natural gas cooktop (black) that I picked up as a clearance floor model item at Sears (yes - when that was a place) for like $200 20+ years ago. So yes - a cheap cooktop can actually last! The main complaint we continue to have is that its a pain cleaning all the spatters off a glossy black surface. It requires several passes with a degreasing cleaner like 409, then Windex. The old cast iron grates were always porcelain coated back then, and those look like total crap - the main reason the wife would like to replace it is those ugly grates - the old individual ones, circa 1999 or 2000.

I have to wonder if brushed stainless, fingerprint resistant stainless, would show spatters less than black. That's what we've considered going to, as we like our Frigidaire smudge proof stainless fridge and microwave hood. We hate our Maytag dishwasher, as it shows everything on that stainless.

The other factor that concerns me if you have kids around are the fact that most cooktops now seem to have the knobs on the front edge (in the way), versus on the side the way our old one does right now. I worry about young kids messing with the stove if the knobs are staring at them at eye level... and you can turn the gas on, without igniting it by holding it in that position, and it would be a hazard.

I've looked at those same Empava models on the Lowes website myself, and know nothing beyond the user reviews on Lowes.com, but find reading those to be useful.

Good luck and I am curious what you end up with. I will also say to those recommending you go induction.... I looked into that as well, and the issues for me with induction are that it usually requires a 50A breaker, not a 30A breaker like most normal electric ranges and cooktops. To me that would be a deal breaker. Plus I just prefer cooking on gas. I can use ANY type of cookware I want, and not worry about it scratching the stove top. I saw a brand new Maytag glass electric top range on my trip to Pensacola with the black delaminating on the bottom side of the glass due to use skillet that was too small or too large for the burner.
    Argh, crud. Here I was researching and finding some decent deals on induction, thinking that would be easier/cheaper anyways than plumbing for gas - AND I realized we'd need to have a 110V line put in to run the igniter (I think?). I was thinking induction I could just drop in on the 220V line, but I don't know what mine is rated for. <sigh> Now maybe induction has more cost associated with it, too... this is just a PITA.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    DogFaced PonySoldier We've been using a cheap natural gas cooktop (black) that I picked up as a clearance floor model item at Sears (yes - when that was a place) for like $200 20+ years ago. So yes - a cheap cooktop can actually last! The main complaint we continue to have is that its a pain cleaning all the spatters off a glossy black surface. It requires several passes with a degreasing cleaner like 409, then Windex. The old cast iron grates were always porcelain coated back then, and those look like total crap - the main reason the wife would like to replace it is those ugly grates - the old individual ones, circa 1999 or 2000.

I have to wonder if brushed stainless, fingerprint resistant stainless, would show spatters less than black. That's what we've considered going to, as we like our Frigidaire smudge proof stainless fridge and microwave hood. We hate our Maytag dishwasher, as it shows everything on that stainless.

The other factor that concerns me if you have kids around are the fact that most cooktops now seem to have the knobs on the front edge (in the way), versus on the side the way our old one does right now. I worry about young kids messing with the stove if the knobs are staring at them at eye level... and you can turn the gas on, without igniting it by holding it in that position, and it would be a hazard.

I've looked at those same Empava models on the Lowes website myself, and know nothing beyond the user reviews on Lowes.com, but find reading those to be useful.

Good luck and I am curious what you end up with. I will also say to those recommending you go induction.... I looked into that as well, and the issues for me with induction are that it usually requires a 50A breaker, not a 30A breaker like most normal electric ranges and cooktops. To me that would be a deal breaker. Plus I just prefer cooking on gas. I can use ANY type of cookware I want, and not worry about it scratching the stove top. I saw a brand new Maytag glass electric top range on my trip to Pensacola with the black delaminating on the bottom side of the glass due to use skillet that was too small or too large for the burner.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    The burners take forever to get up to temp then once they are up there’s no real temp control
    1 on the dial is the same as 7 so if you put something on to simmer it’s a full boil before you know it.
    Real pita
    On positive note the convection oven is really quite remarkable. Really like it.
    Last edited by smokin fool; November 3, 2021, 04:47 PM.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    one of the things I've hated about newer electrics with glass tops is how long it takes to get heat on the burners. thankfully I don't have to worry about that anymore.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    What's wrong with the Samsung???

• Rocinante
    replied
    Last year I replaced my 11 year old Frigidaire glass top with a Samsung unit that is pretty similar as far as tops go. I do like the oven and its convection baking and roasting options, as well as some other bells and whistles, but the actual burners on the top take forever to get up to temp. At least as compared to the 11 year old range.

Would I buy it again? That depends on what else is out there in that price range.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    My brother found a GE Cafe model high end gas range in big box stores scratch and sale last month.
    Apparently an $2800 unit for $700 cash, he has a pick up so we went and got it.
    The thing is gorgeous and cooks are amazing.
    Small dent on one side at the rear of the unit you could barely notice, had a piece of stainless cut to size to cover it.
    My wife brought a Samsung electric glass top range last year, new, I'd like to take that thing outside and beat it with an iron bar....whadda pieca junk.

• latenight71
    replied
    This place offers quite a few non-mainstream brands in your price range that you might explore. Free shipping ain't bad either.

30 Professional Gas Cooktop found in: Gallery 30" Gas Cooktop - Black, 30" Professional Drop-in Cooktop with 4 Burners - Natural Gas - Stainless Steel, Professional Series 30" Drop-in Gas Cooktop 4 Burners -..

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    Yeah, I don't know how large our main incoming gas line is - that'll be something for the plumber to advise on. We're not going to upgrade that or anything. We may switch to induction if the line won't support it.

<edit> Ok, I just looked at some induction models.

Holy crap.
    Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; November 3, 2021, 11:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    I’ve had my GE gas range for around 5 years and I’ve been happy with it. I got it at a local appliance store for around $800.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    You've already had some good points about adding a gas line for the stove. I was fortunate that I have a large inbound gas line (furnance, water heater, and stove were already gas). Because of that, adding an additional line in the house to the stove was not a big deal. The plumber tapped the main line prior to the furnace and brought that to our kitchen.

one thing to factor into this is the change in your utility bills. Our electricity cost went down more than our gas cost went up. Over the long run, this will offset the cost of running the new gas line.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    for recommendations, I am very happy with my LG gas stove that we put in last year. The LG Studio gas cooktop is listed at $899 ON SALE on lg.com .... I have the Studio gas stove and it is outstanding. Looks great, cooks great, very easy learning curve. I'm a big fan.

We were able to buy our LG Studio because of a similar sale. Take a look!!!

LG STUDIO 30'' Gas Cooktop (LSCG307ST) | LG USA
    Last edited by ecowper; November 3, 2021, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Grillin Dad
    commented on 's reply
    Also, if you do get a gas stove, I would not recommend GE. We have a 3 year old GE gas stove and have gone through 2 control panels. We actually got an extended warranty on the stove just because of this!

• Grillin Dad
    replied
    Hopefully it won’t be a huge deal, but adding a gas line to your kitchen may not be so easy. When the main gas line (from your street or wherever) comes into your house, you only get so much gas. Every appliance that you have running on gas (water heater, furnace, etc) uses so much of that gas, depleting your available supply. This is a similar thing to your water line, if you run 2 showers at once your water pressure is going to be a lot lower than if you just run one shower. So it’s going to be a question of how much gas is coming into your house, and how much gas your current appliances require. Hopefully, you have plenty of available gas and it won’t be a big deal, but what’s why you have a plumber coming out.

I know this because my dad and I remodeled his kitchen about 10 years ago and just tapped into the gas line to run a gas line to the kitchen (similar to what you want to do). We didn’t know any better and it worked out all right, but when my dad mentioned it to a plumber friend of his, the plumper really laid into him!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here