Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great or not Grate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great or not Grate.

I was given this piece of food grade stainless steel woven mesh that is approximately 3 x 4 foot in size.
    The person who gave it to me used a piece to make a "braai" grid for live fire grilling. He mentioned it is nowhere near as effective as a grate with bigger gaps.

I can get 2 grates to fit my kettle out of the piece. I'm definitely making one to suit my kettle with a cut out for loading charcoal. This I will use for smoking veg, especially cherry tomatoes. I currently lose a few every cook and I will be able to fit more on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210906_201147.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	1089454

The space between the strands is +- 7mm and the strands I guess are 1.6 to 2mm thick.

Questions
    Would the grate work for a low and slow meat cook or are the small openings not favourable for this method too, and if so why?

Any other ideas for the leftovers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	836D0033-4A64-449E-A6EC-1FC3BE0E9152.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1089486Click image for larger version

Name:	19D4A7E9-EF28-4600-AB31-6C8032F57D8A.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1089487 Make a rack that you can place on your Weber grill grate for easy removal of smaller items like pork belly burnt ends.

Last edited by HawkerXP; September 6, 2021, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I use a mesh like that for fish, veggies, beef jerky, even cheese.

Comment

To me it's a stainless version of the grill mats lots of places sell... they are great for smoking or roasting nuts, or smaller items, or rolling items. The fiberglass or silicone ones are also great for fish, but I suspect a SS version would not work so well for that.

I would make a firepit screen with that, the grill mats are cheap and easy to clean and even easier to roll up and store.

Comment

I would be concerned about cleaning it - lots of "intersections". But since it was free, go ahead and make one that lies on top of the regular grate.

Comment

I have something like that I got on eBay. It claims to be stainless steel but is mostly teflon or something similar. Was easy to cut with kitchen scissors. Worked very well for blasphemy ribs.

Comment

For the rest of us heathen, 7mm is a tad over ¼". I think that's a little small for a grill grate. I used ½" expanded metal for mine and I don't think I'd want them any smaller. I think a lot of pro smokers use ¾" expanded.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here