Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub Shaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rub Shaker

I'm currently using salvaged Parmesan cheese shakers to apply rub. The holes are WAY to big. Short of applying duct tape to several of the holes, I'm at a loss. I like the size of these shakers, but again, the holes. Does anybody use anything else? Suggestions?

Not bein obtuse, but I reckon my recommends would havedta be dependent on th coarseness of yer grind...

I has me several types of shakers, as well as re-purposed commercial jars, an they all are tasked, accordinly...

Lemme know more, then I will blather more , at greater length, er, uhh, I mean, 'Be More Specific'

Yeah! That's zackly what I meant, original...

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Obtuse? There you go readin' old Merriam-Webster again Bonzy

Check out Winco shakers on Amazon.

Comment

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the Winco shaker that came with 3 lids with different size holes. Found other uses for them also. If you bake bread, it is great for dusting the bread and the bannetons, so easy to
      get an even coverage with just about anything. And they are inexpensive.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Mark V
      Speakin as one from Kansas Territory, "There's No Place Like Inexpensive" C'mon, Toto...

I'm in the same situation. Most rub recipes tend to make too much for the smaller "spice jar" style shakers (although, of course the holes on those are too small for many rubs) so I end up using the Parmesan shakers and the holes are way too big.

What I've been thinking of trying is the other type of Parmesan shaker --- those glass ones that used to grace the tables of dine-in pizza places in the 80s. The holes were big enough for red pepper flakes, which I think is the ideal size.

Comment

I just recycle commercial dry rub bottles for my homemade rubs
      If they worked once they should be fine twice.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. This.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup again, this

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know, smokin fool I think those holes get all 'used up' after a few refills. They get tired, worn down, spent. Sad.

I use costco shakers after I use up all the crazy amounts of spices in ‘em :-)

Comment

Love mines. Got it at the local hardware store.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210904_123118.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1088164

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Reckon, lackin details, it fits a mason jar?

Holes may be too small for some, but Oakridge sells a shaker which is perfect for their rubs: https://www.oakridgebbq.com/product/spice-rub-shaker/

​​​​​I also like this one which works for coarser rubs, I use this with my home made rubs (think originally got recommendation from Harry Soo): https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015HJRG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          The stainless is the one to go to.
          Only bad part my recycle plan is who knows what is growing on the label after more than a few uses

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Large holes are a problem. Small holes are not. Some spices do well with small holes, others stop them up. Determine what spice or rub will be used in what shaker. If you cannot find larger holes when needed, simply use a drill bit to open the hole just a tiny bit larger then the existing hole. Start by drilling out say around 20% to 25% of them slightly larger. Then drill more until you get what you want. Easily done with a power drill and bit or even a Dremel tool with a small bit.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the second one got it from a local restaurant supply store. It works great

These are what I use... I have 5 or 6 of them...I store the rubs I make in mason jars and pour into the shaker as needed...

Comment

I saw this while browsing after ordering BBQ sauce, https://lilliesq.com/collections/gif...dry-rub-shaker

Comment

I use these: https://smile.amazon.com/Seasoning-O...792325&sr=8-53. 3 different hole sizes in each lid.

Comment

Magic bullet shakers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_152912.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1088269

Comment

Repurposed Lawry's Seasoned Salt after I empty them.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
                  Oak Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1

Most all spice shakers we buy get saved for repurposing. The smaller ones, I’ll let those go but the mid to large sized, those I keep. Especially the shakers I get from Costco with various stuff in them. Those are great!

Comment

• Murdy
                  Murdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I repurpose the large garlic powder shakers from Costco, the holes seem a bit bigger.

I still prefer my good old fingers. Old habits die hard in this chef..

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's what she said

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here