Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shopping for a holding chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping for a holding chamber

Looking for holding chambers for up to say, 20 racks of ribs. Looking at something like this. Any advice or other options would be welcome.
    Perfect for catering and take-out operations, this CaterGator black front loading insulated food pan carrier with Vigor plastic food pans and seal lids delivers the durability and the stability your food needs to arrive intact and at the proper temperature. This set includes a food pan carrier along with five full size 2 1/2" deep food pans and five seal lids. Made of durable polyethylene and insulated with polyurethane foam insulation, this carrier helps maintain the proper temperature prior to delivery, keeping hot food hot or cold food cold for up to 7 hours. For use with cold dishes, pre-chill the unit with its door open in a walk-in refrigerator or freezer. For pre-heating the unit, place a hotel pan of hot water into the unit, and close the door for 20 minutes prior to loading your hot dishes. It includes plastic latches that securely lock the door to retain temperature. It also includes steel reinforced plate hinges to resist breakage and to ensure longevity. The door even swings open a full 270 degrees for easy access. For convenient transport, the unit features molded-in handles that are both durable and ergonomic. This design allows the carrier to stack with similar Carlisle and Cambro carriers and simplify storage.The included 2 1/2" deep pans can be used to prep, store, transport, and serve food items. The polycarbonate material is virtually unbreakable and resistant to food acids and oils, helping to extend the life of these food pans. They can also withstand temperatures ranging from -40 to 212 degrees Fahrenheit so they can be used in various storage locations. They are also freezer-safe. Thanks to the clear material, these food pans offers optimum visibility for quick product identification. The reinforced top and bottom corners are also resistant to bending, cracking, and denting. Included capacity indicators allow you to quickly and easily do inventory management and measure out how much you need of any product. A spoonable bottom makes removing contents easier, reducing food waste. These pans even include stacking lugs so that you can keep all of them together and maximize your storage space. This kit includes compatible polyethylene lids to eliminate the risk of contaminants. The unique seal of these lids protects against spills, and the durable polyethylene construction withstands repeated kitchen and catering use with the ability to withstand temperatures between -40 and 18- degrees Fahrenheit. Perfect for transporting foods to offsite locations, these lids are BPA-free and keep food fresher longer.Set Includes:(1) CaterGator black front loading insulated food pan carrier(5) Vigor full size 2 1/2" deep clear polycarbonate food pans(5) Vigor full size gray secure sealing polyethylene food pan covers Carrier Dimensions: Width: 17" Depth: 24 1/4" Height: 25 1/4" Interior Dimensions: Width: 13 3/4" Depth: 20 3/4" Height: 17"Pan Dimensions:Length: 20 3/4"Width: 12 3/4"Depth: 2 1/2"Capacity: 7.6 qt.Lid Dimensions:Length: 20 3/4"Width: 12 3/4"

My first thought is that, if this is a one off or a very occasional need, would regular coolers work? You could wrap each rack in foil and stack them. But I don't know if coolers would accommodate the width of the rack.

Alternatively (again if this is a one off or occasional need) can you rent these? Friend of mine run a winery and for release parties rent glasses since they need dozens.

Comment

I am not dealing with 20 ribs but I did buy a smaller Cambro pizza delivery bag with the idea that I can handle ribs and brisket one day due to the length. I felt the front load would be helpful. I also added a micro pore 12” by 8” heating pad for $6 bucks. It sounds like you want something heavier duty though. I bought a smaller version of the one I linked but same brand and heavy duty style. Still, it will hold a lot of ribs.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cam...4GBP220RD.html

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ves...011081224.html
      Last edited by STEbbq; August 7, 2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never looked at webstaurantstore.com before. Thank you for destroying my savings account...
        Last edited by 58limited; August 7, 2021, 01:12 PM.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Gear Acquisition Syndrome (or GAS). The struggle is real, 58limited. 😂

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Since I have to live up to my user name, I should point out Richard posted it first so I can’t take credit for it.

Two,other popular brands are Cambro and Carlisle

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I am embarrassed to admit I did not realize until I found my ToGo bag that Cambro was a real brand. I thought it was BBQ slang.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I use cambro products a lot for my bread. I am super comfortable with that brand.

That can work. I like that it uses full size pans. If its just a one time thing though, I would be tempted to buy a big cooler, and just wrap the ribs in foil and stack in the cooler for holding.

Another thought? Get you a Camp Chef Smokevault 24. It also holds full size hotel pans, and can be set to a low temp and used as a holding oven. And give you a new smoker to use as well....
      Last edited by jfmorris; August 7, 2021, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope it is not a one time thing. That is why I’m considering doing something more favorable to situation.

I have been looking at this instead of a regular cooler. One would not hold 20 ribs but three probaby would and would give you flexibility as numbers changed for future needs.

Amazon.com : Coleman 24 Can Party Stacker Cooler, Blue : Coleman Ice Chest Stacker : Sports & Outdoors

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a similar cooler. Retains heat very well! And even here in Southern California, I can brine a big ole turkey overnight in the garage and it temps perfect the next day.

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        I learned about them here on the site and purchased a few, and then a few more later for drink cans. They do work well for holding meat and keeping drinks cold.

So, a new question, can I take 20 racks of ribs in butcher paper, throw them all in the same large cooler, and hold them for.a few hours, while I wait for pick up. Meaning 20 racks of ribs, in butcher paper, 20 racks warms up a big efficient cooler, and holds it down to one rack over a 2 hour period? Even understanding I may need to preheat my cooler.? Do they really need to be separated once wrapped? I can only think you would want to serve from the bottom of the cooler. What am I missing, besides size of efficient coolers (brands, not sure if matters)…
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 8, 2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Preheating sounds like that might work. Heat up some bricks, wrap in foil and use them for heat as you would use freezy packs for keeping stuff cold?

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        If the cooler is full and preheated, that sounds like it should work.

Nothing stopping you from acquiring a cooler and doing a few test runs before actually storing food in there.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here