Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PJ’s Pro Tip #6 - Pesky Outdoor Fly Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PJ’s Pro Tip #6 - Pesky Outdoor Fly Solution

A lot of you might be using these already, but something I’ve found to be very useful when cooking outdoors is one of these fly tents to cover my food, trays or utensils. I’ve been using them for years and wanted to share this, in case you haven’t seen these before. They come in different sizes and there’s many brands available on Amazon. They fold up into a small umbrella shape when not in use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4406080A-FF27-40EF-B796-570D65A3F756.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1065147

ACTUAL UNTOUCHED PHOTO OF REAL FLY TRYING TO GET IN! 🙄

Name:	CF91D40E-F5BF-4C46-8AB5-084DA28FD500.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1065148

Name:	0B926306-1722-4F0D-8A99-F0B3F8B552CD.png
Views:	205
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	1065149

Thanks for posting. I never thought to look for something like these. I usually just wave my arms like mad and serve the food I couldn't protect to my sister-in-law.

Comment

An easier solution for you might be to let someone else do the cookin' so that flies aren't attracted to the cookin' area.

Comment

Yes! Have them! tip #6.1:
      If you are eating outside and the flies see you plate your food out from under your mesh tent, place dabs of Tabasco sauce around the edges of your plate. They will wave off unless of course, they are Texas flies.

Comment

So who is the "pro" who recommended it? Not nice to put up stuff without proper attribution.

Comment

Panhead John Someone gave me one many years ago. We used it once and gave it to someone else. More trouble than it is worth. No place to put it when trying to get food while on the table. You really need 3 hands, one to lift it, one to hold your plate, and one to dish the food to your plate.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Or…..you could put it on your head and wear it like a hat. Get a bigger table? 1. Use it to cover your food tray (as I did in the photo) When needing access to the food tray, remove the tent…set it to the side, or on your head if you don’t have room. Then place food from the grill on your serving tray. Put tent back over the food tray. Repeat as necessary.
            2. When ready to eat, remove tent and carry your tray inside the house.
            Last edited by Panhead John; July 23, 2021, 03:38 PM.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah gotta agree we found metal
            Mesh one a few years ago, the table was a crowded mess. It was easier for me to kill every living insect in a three mile radius of the house

• Clark
            Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John Remind me never to eat when you're cooking!

Just gobble down your meal real fast

Comment

You know a fly defecates every 60 seconds. It’s said that that micronic size of the defecated particulates are smaller then the mesh size of that food diaper. Gravity my friend, has rendered your contraption obsolete

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              You and Clark should move in together.

• fkrall
              fkrall commented
              Editing a comment
              You must have really good eyesight

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here