Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soapstone opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soapstone opinions

I used a KJ Big Joe soapstone and was thrilled with the results with the prior 6 cooks. After the 6th, a split appeared right down the middle rendering it useless. Talk about an expensive fluke. I did not shock it once with abrupt temp changes. My cooks were all around 500 with the last registering at 720. Cooling down was simply shutting the lid. So do any of y'all have any suggestions and experiences with different brands? I do feel this an item I have to have. Thanks for your help

I don't know what you are cooking or what you are cooking on, but a Baking Steel sure won't crack.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Ron beat me to it once again. After replacing my original Kamado heat deflector with two or three pizza stones that also broke (sometimes just from stupid handling), I now use a Baking Steel. I consider it a "heat radiator" rather than deflector, but I am very satisfied with how the cooker performs with the steel in place. No worries about breaking that baby and my temperatures hold really steady.

BTW department, Baking Steel is having a sale this weekend. It is what I use FWIW.

Comment

Is it still under warranty​​​​​​?

Comment

I should have followed up a couple of weeks ago. I have had a couple of hand surgeries and have been unable to do much typing, cooking, etc. But Kamado Joe contacted me out of thin air and REPLACED my stone free of charge. They wanted some pictures and I had them taken, and next thing you know my kid walked in with them stating "You have a package and its heavy." Who does that anymore without some kind of lawsuit? So, I've been using it without any problems and it works as intended.
        Without a doubt, my original just had some kind of flaw. I will always be a KJ fan and I need one of their hats.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Great customer service!

Glad to see yer mendin up, would havedta agree that "Steel is Th Deal"

Comment

Same thing happened to the stone on my nephews BGE, stone split and cracked in half outta no where.
          He called the store he brought it from, they asked for and e-mail with a pic of the broken stone and replaced it under warranty the next day.

Comment

Congrats! It's always nice to hear when a company does the right thing.

Comment

Yeah, I was gonna say, they should and will replace it. The folks over there are good people. I have been looking at buying one of those for me BGE. I wish they made a tiny one for the KJ Jr.

Comment

The Ceramic Grill Store has some stone options for sale.

Enjoy bigger capability with the MiniMax Big Green EGG by adding a Raised Grid Expander, Full or Half-Moon Heat Deflectors, Kick Ash Basket & Can or a Wok.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here